That Airbnb 'ping': I got a booking!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That Airbnb 'ping': I got a booking!

My first booking (in an otherwise empty calendar) just came through. A light at the end of a very dark tunnel? Who knows. But it's certainly lifted my spirits. Just not sure where to put my desk/screens/office-y stuff now that I'm working from home full-time. 

62 Replies 62
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Gordon0   I am not comfortable with accepting guests in my shared home listing at this time.  So many changes.  It is easy for me because my city does not allow short term rentals in a shared setting.  Obviously you are comfortable, so would you mind sharing your thinking about that step?  Thanks

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thankfully, @Linda108, although it's technically a shared setting, the room I offer is in fact self-contained and we do not share any common areas (short of the front door). On this basis I'm comfortable to accept these guests (in late July).     

we are the same.

The (few) guests we have coming are quite happy with the changes we've made. No sharing kitchen, the bathroonm is theirs and we'll use the other 0.5 bathroom. 

We'll sort out the cleaning after they leave.

No same day bookings, no fast turnarounds.

We host hikers and bikers who are out in the open air all day. 

I think we are all going to be OK.

We need the money 🤷‍♂️

And we want to get closer to a normal life again.

So do our guests.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Gordon0 That ABB tone gives me a pang of “oh no, what happened now?”  I’m glad it makes you happy. Good luck with your new guest!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I hadn't heard it for so long, it took a minute, @Kelly149 but, yes, ordinarily it can be a bad thing! 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I just finished hosting my first round of Airbnb guests in the last three months (when they're not booked through Airbnb it never seems to count.) I was surprised at how easy it was to get back to it. Despite all the safety precautions I put in place, I still found myself pawing through the garbage to retrieve their bottles and cans to be recycled for 5 cents and eating their leftover English muffins. Some things you just can't let go . . . 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 Not just me then that paws through garbage looking for recyclables (no deposit here), & eats guests leftovers (within reason!)

- Glad you got back into it, I must admit, I've got out of my stride, & fear when it resumes (if), it will be like starting over again! - Kept my hand in with a few old lags, but off platform doesn't feel the same, does it? - Probably the lack of a review to stress over.... And the regulars knew the ropes so  no input from me... Still, if Airbnb returns chez moi, I'll have to be more 'hands off' - social distancing, don't you know...

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

... are you sure you want it?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

100%, @Patricia55, because it signals some sort of normality, and man-alive we could all do with some of that.  

Patricia55
Level 10

@Gordon0I'm happy for you, can't say no more 🤞💪😀

Patricia55
Level 10

@Gordon0  oh, so long as you don't spread the plague, of course.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Gordon0Congratulations!  I've been waiting for that 'ping' , now the 4th is dawning - but none yet! I would react exactly as you did - lifted spirits & light at the end of the tunnel. Some party poopers on here...... Beats Bournmouth beach.......

@Gordon0 

Thanks for sharing your good news~~ I completely understand about your "where to put xxxxx" comment - Henry has taken up a few new hobbies while we're taking a break from hosting and we've moved some stuff into our unoccupied guest bedroom for temporary storage but I honestly don't know where we're going to move all the stuff that's begun to pile up in there 😅 😆 😅 😆  

Keep us updated~~ 

Indeed, @Jessica-and-Henry0 , my note-to-self 'Spend a few months clearing out, tidying up' has resulted in more piles off junk everywhere.... on their way to the attic..... garage... bin....