That Airbnb 'ping': I got a booking!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That Airbnb 'ping': I got a booking!

My first booking (in an otherwise empty calendar) just came through. A light at the end of a very dark tunnel? Who knows. But it's certainly lifted my spirits. Just not sure where to put my desk/screens/office-y stuff now that I'm working from home full-time. 

62 Replies 62

California certainly is a backwards country into itself , almost as backwards as the other super progressive nation/ state that I call my home, New York!  Here, it was the highly populated super city citizens who infected the rest of the state and 6 around it.   @Sally221 , I would be interested in what the demographics are of those "inland counties in the bottom of the state" that are infecting everyone else including prisoners.  Stay well, JR

The county with the highest infection in the whole nation is in Nebraska, where the governor is telling folks any municipality that makes mask wearing mandatory will lose covid funding.  How on earth is that a good idea?

It seems obvious to me that places with a high volume of travelers & dense populations will see more cases. It's the nature of the beast. We are keeping track of hospitalizations, unlike Florida, we aren't seeing our ICU capacity overwhelmed (pause for prayer) like is happening in Houston, home of the world's largest medical facility. We have Covered California so most people have access to health care, helpful during a pandemic and so many losing jobs & employer- based health care. We are having a huge outbreak at San Quentin which sits right on San Francisco bay, but let's face it, most of those prisoners went into the system during the terms of republican governors.  It's a open cell block building  so the virus is running rampant.

At the moment, our state is seeing the worst outbreaks among farm workers  who are probably the most marginalized people in California. The immigrants, legal or not, who bring in a huge amount of the nation's fruit & veg work for stupidly low money in the toughest of conditions. They subsidize our cheap food by their sweat, just like the folks at the Tyson plant in Nebraska.

@Sally221  This is just the next stage of the virus spread and all countries will go through it. We are on the same stage here-most of the new cases are coming from factories, where 300-400 people are working together. Some of them are so isolated, in the mountain, where all workers are from the nearby 5-6 small towns and villages.

That's scary, especially if those isolated places aren't equipped with hospital beds, what a time!

@Sally221 

Fortunately, in the latter case, only 2 people out of about 120 needed hospital treatment.
The problem is that these 120 knew they were sick. They used analgin and antipyretic drugs to bypass the morning healthcheck at the plant and be allowed to work.
The result- the plant was closed for disinfection, 400 people in the area were quarantined and 2000 reservations cancelled in the nearby mountain resort.

Sometimes is impossible to fight the stupidity.
Destiny36
Level 2
Mitchell, SD

It is crazy, the last three months up here in South Dakota have been surprisingly busy. It has been a fun journey so far with having airbnbs 

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I had a mature student stay back in March. She wants to come back as a lodger when she starts back at university. I said no at first because I use my spare room for friends. But after thinking about it, I’m going to say yes. Less risk to me, and if there is a second wave I don’t lost part of my income.

Here is a photo of Brighton beach when lockdown started. 

4DD25605-ACD7-487F-944C-DBB158886EAE.jpeg

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very happy for you @Gordon0 

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Woohoo! I know exactly how you feel @Gordon0 ! i was quite despaired after a few weeks not hearing that ping. Finally, I have someone in my home now where I can chat and share my home-baked goods with. 

Have a great time hosting! 

Bakers without appreciative eaters are like performers without an audience, how nice for you! 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0@Michelle1709@Jane563 

Here's wishing all hosts in the UK a happy Hosting Independence Day tomorrow.  Across the pond, we will be firing up grills, and eating continuously until it's time to light/watch fireworks.

My guests arrived yesterday.  They are new to Airbnb, and communication was a little rough in the beginning, because the primary guest wasn't responding to the messages that I sent via Airbnb.  I know from experience, many newbies don't have notifications set on the application, or don't read email messages from Airbnb.  We that bump smoothed out after I texted him on his phone, and him that he needs to respond to my Airbnb messages so I can send him the door code.  I made it quite clear that our house is connected to the rental apartment, and the unit has a ring doorbell camera.  Interestingly, the night before their arrival I received a message stating that it's now 4 people instead of two, and inquired if there's a fee for the additional people.  We do have such a fee, and they paid.  They arrived yesterday, and thus far I have no complaints with them.  I hope it remains that way throughout their stay.

And with some more good news, I've already received my payout notification.  I was curious about this since I had read a couple-few postings about delayed payouts.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thank you, @Debra300, and glad to hear your guests are behaving. 

It's actually my 'co-dependence day' today, having entered into a civil-partnership with my (now) husband 11 years ago. So celebrations here too, especially as restaurants are opening for the first time in months. 

Co-dependence day, thats funny schnitz right there @Gordon0 !  Mel and I are going on 25 years of Co-dependence, all bliss!  Stay well, JR

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0,

Congratulations.  It's always great to hear about successful relationships.  Are you going to take Boris's suggestion, and do the patriotic thing by having a pint at your local pub?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0,

The guests have checked out, and left the place in pretty good condition.  We also received a booking yesterday, and another one today.

I can already tell that by incorporating two days between stays that I am not rushed to complete all cleaning activities in one session.  I am already taking a break, and writing this note.