That one guest!

Answered!
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

That one guest!

I have been lucky, always had a great bunch of guests...struck a Malaysian family once who didn't quite understand how the system worked.

But I just struck the one I keep responding to here on the CC. Everyone else gets them, now I have!

My most recent guest ruffled me a bit though, best she gave me was a 4 star, major reason in her comments......'the polished concrete floor was cold'....room wasn't, neither was the bed....just the floor.

She was a first in almost every respect though, she gave me.......

A 4 for Accuracy, now that is a first for me, in 160 guests not copped that one before. I would defy any other guest who has been here to tell me what wasn't accurate!

A 3 for cleanliness...she found a cobweb, God knows where, but she found one!

A 4 for location....that defies any sort of logic....she booked it and I can't move it!

A 4 for value...................??

I charge $85 AU ( $63.37 USD, 49 pounds) per night, with, at that point, no cleaning fee and this is what every guest gets thrown in....

IMG20180317111324 b.jpg

Plus all the regular condiments like tea, coffee, jams, spreads, soap, toilet paper.

And I get a 4 star for value! Some guests really are loonies. If I had given this woman the listing for nothing for the two nights....it still would not have been acceptable value!

But guests like this have a negative impact on all users because, I have now set a cleaning fee. Not much of one, but obviously I am not doing the job properly and it will enable me to get a cleaner in once a week to make absolutely sure there is not a lurking cobweb.....period. Every future guest will pay a bit more because of this one woman. My 'Alice in Wonderland' image of Airbnb guests is just a bit tarnished and I hope that doesn't show through to future guests

Never mind....I knew I would cop one sooner or later, just been lucky till now but, this is the job we are in, sink or swim!

Rant over!

Cheers......Rob

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

Lol, Lucille Ball gone mad! I recently hosted a late middle aged American couple and it went something like this...

The booking came through the wife's account and I was getting extremely apprehensive about it as her communication was shocking. When she would finally respond to a message she would simply ignore any questions and would not give me an arrival time no matter how many times I asked.

On arrival day itself, I had to send a fairly blunt message saying that if she didn't tell me when they were arriving, I simply couldn't be home. Finally, husband took over and started texting me and there was some progress, although they took an extraordinary amount of time to get here from the airport. I supect they had decided to do a detour and leave me waiting.

I went out of my way for these guests from the moment they arrived. Mrs. immediately wanted to do laundry (not available for short term guests), which I did for her for free. She never thanked me. I spent half an hour late at night showing her how to work the TV, left it on for her because she needed to get something upstairs and then she never came back to watch it! For the rest of the stay, she completely ignored me. I never saw her again. She wasn't upset with me. She just had no manners.

Mr. on the other hand was friendly, chatty, thanked me profusely for the laundry, said it was the best Airbnb they had stayed in, London was wonderful etc, and left a lovely comment in the guest book. I got the impression that he was so in love with his wife that he put up with anything.

When it came to leaving a review, I was totally confounded. He had been great, she had been awful, and I had no idea which of them was going to write my review. In the end, I was kind. Their review was clearly written by the husband and was glowing. Phew!

View Best Answer in original post

62 Replies 62
Chuck34
Level 2
Beverly Hills, CA

(i learned this at the Airbnb open in Los Angeles a couple of years ago...)  No matter how much you  try,   even the best Airbnb super hosts get judgemental pessimistic guests...it's part of the program...don't take it personally...some people are just raised by critical parents or  in negative toxic environments..and so they unconciously take their learned childhood thinking with them everywhere they go....some people always have something to complain about...I've had my share of gloomy guests who (if He appeared before them) would try to find something wrong with Jesus Christ .    

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

After a volley of communications in which I confirmed to my guests that they would not be able to get in at 8am (as the incumbents would still be sleeping) they ungracefully accepted an early bag-drop and a check in at 11:30 (2.5 hours before the norm).

They turned up at my door at 7:50 on arrival day with smacked-ar5e faces. Needless to say, I smiled  as I hauled their ridiculously large suitcases in.

We agreed that they could come back at 11:30 and I duly handed over the key.

At 10:55 they let themselves in and barge past the cleaner who has to get out of their way.

Fast-forward two hours and they head off out (but leaving EVERY light on their floor on, and a hair-straightener thing still running).

I turn these all off, albeit hours later when I cotton on that they’ve gone out.

I message guest to say that it’s not OK to leave all this stuff on and am me with ‘it’s for security, to put off burglars’ message. Urgh!

They then (repeatedly, despite it being warned against in the house manual) double-lock the front door (on two locks) making it difficult to get out.

The no eye contact throughout their stay I can live with, sort of, but their rating - and talk of spider web (the size of a very short hair!) has now meant I won’t budge on my check in time again.

Oh, and the first review in 200+ that mentions a lock. 

Millennials? Kep them!

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 06.55.13.png

Dallas9
Level 3
Murphy, NC

In my case it was 2.  A middle age lady and her mom.  Ive only been on airbnb 5 months and they were my fourth rental.  Came and stayed in my 1400 sq foot 3b/2b with garage house for 25 a night. Just getting started, drumming up business.  Aitbnb told me start low.  Like an ex biker chick and her mom.  Mom was ill and left alone all day with phone to call 911 if she fell.  Mom had exima and shed skin all over the house and furniture!  Moved all my furniture to suit moms needs, didnt move it back!  Dug hamper out of storage and left it in my den.  Basement was off limits! Jimmied the lock!  Left the stove covered in bacon grease splatter.  Left a soiled tampon and turd in the back bathroom toilet.  Claimed to have traveled all over and been airbnb host in florida.  This was week after my mom died in the nursing home.  I asked for hosting advice, they told me to take down all the pictures, it mad the house look sad.   Then gave me a 2 rating on cleanliness.  House was cleanest it had been since it was built, and advertised as a “grandmas house” with grandma motiff.   Ok, a four i agree with, but a two?  Everybody else but one has given me a five.  Still rated as 4.2 on cleanliness with 5 across the board elsewhere.