The 10 most annoying guest behaviours that hosts may find!

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

The 10 most annoying guest behaviours that hosts may find!

1) Inconsistent response

During their stay, the host constantly ask them, "Is everything okay? Is there anything you think I can improve?" And they say, "No, everything is perfect." Then after they check out, they leave you a negative review, complaining about this and that. Many hosts find this annoying and confusing, too!

2) Self-Defense

We all make mistakes. Guests may make mistakes when they are not familar with certain features in your house. This is totally understandable. When you remind them of a mistake they have done, some will just say, "Sorry! It won't happen again!" And then you will not think about it twice. But others will have a lot to say.

Recently a guest left the stove on for hours unattended after cooking till I came home around 21:45 and found it. I told her about it and asked her to be more careful. She explained a lot and sent me a long message too, telling me that she was not sure if she should turn it clockwise or counter clockwise, she had never done it before, she had only been here for 3 days, she did not mean to do it, she would need to get used to my "personal habit and preference," blah blah blah. She did not realize that all I wanted to hear was 5 words "Sorry, it won't happen again."

3) Unrealistic Expectations

Airbnb has made lots of travels and career-related tasks possible and more affordable. For example, before Airbnb, students who traveled out of town to do an intership had to stay at a motel, because most landlords would not rent out their property for just a few weeks. Usually a one-year lease is required.

However, I have had a few medical interns who stayed at my place and who did not realize how grateful they should be to Airbnb and to their host, and they seemed to have unrealistic expectations. One asked for A/C. Another complained in his review after check-out that he was not allowed to cook a "full" dinner (because I made it clear that the kitchen was shared by 4 people and only light cooking was allowed). 

These young people did not realize that if they wanted A/C or full access to kitchen facilities, they could choose motels, hotels or apartels. I have googled--most motels in my area cost at leat $110/night, without a kitchen! And my room only charges $30+. So am I helping them save money or making them spend more on eating out or buying semi-prepared food?

4) Treating your home like a cheap motel

I have had 3 guests who ruined my towels. Two wiped their dirty suitcase with a white bathtowel. One wiped his hair and left hair dye stains. I bet that these people had done that before at hotels, probably many, many times. They might have wiped their shoes, too. 

gotta run. to be continued 🙂

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huaai0

I agree with all of these - but also wonder what the most annoying things guests encounter with their hosts.

Here is my very personal starter for 10:

1/ 'War and Peace' length house rules and trivial ones 

2/ Pictures that are way better than what a place looks like in reality

3/ Bad/poor directions on how to find a property

4/ Lack of flexibility - arrival, leaving luggage to collect later etc

5/ Add on costs for everthing from luggage storage to internet use

6/ Host profle pic: cat, flower, car, ....mmmmm psycho?

Hosting is a minefield but being a guest, particularly in a shared home is just as stressful I think.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

True. However, if more than 3 guests leave the host with a review like that, basically it would mean *dead end* to the host's hosting career. 

However, remember if guests do anything inappropriate, they can still get away with that because most hosts do not leave nasty reviews the way guests do.

Guests use Airbnb maybe once a year. Hosts host guests almost on a daily basis. Guests enter hosts' house; hosts open their door to complete strangers. Who is more stressed? I'm not sure.

Rachael-Nothemba0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I've had a pretty good guest experience in my 1,5 year hosting in Airbnb. But I've noticed Ever since I've become a superhost I am receiving more picky, need to find something to complain about, price heckling, annoying guests. It

Beery0
Level 1
Dasmariñas, Philippines

So how can we protect our selves as a host with those kind of guests? Especially those who makes us hostage of their POOR REVIEW THREATS so that they can get a huge "COMPENSATION" of what is in the very beginning was planned with bad intention?

In short airbnb should do more to protect hosts from this system of guest making host hostage simply  because of the hotel like review system yet the platform claim not to operate like a  hotel mean while any review under 5 star does not preform well, why should this be?

Its anoying when the host asks you if everything  is ok everytime they see you. And especially when you'll let them know if there is any problems and they keep stopping you just to talk about that or something else. 

Have some respect for the guest and give them space.

Sure everything  is fine unless guest says something.

If they dont and then give you a bad review thats not therr fault.

It's obvious you made them uncomfortable and they probably feel uncomfortable telling you that.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Huaai0 surely "righty tighty, lefty loosey" is universal?!

Lotus13
Level 1
Jersey City, NJ

I rented my place to an intern 2100 for 66 nights for a private room(my usual rate is 45/night), we are 40 minutes commute to wall st in New York City, Thanks for sharing your concern I will let them know everything there is to expect.