The 10% off promo thing worked this time for a last minute vacancy

The 10% off promo thing worked this time for a last minute vacancy

Since we are still relatively new, we are still on Flexible Cancellation.

Just 30 hours before today (Dec 1) check-in, our scheduled guest cancelled due to illness.

As usual, AirBnB offered that last-minute 10%-off promo, where they said they would email certain travelers about our last minute vacancy.

We gave it a shot, and guess what? 12 hours later we actually got another booking to replace the cancelled one.

I know it doesn't work all the time (we had a last minute cancellation due to the North Bay fires that did NOT get replaced, but, well, there were fires going on), but it did work this time.

Just a point of information, for people who are interested.

11 Replies 11
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Matthew285 I have also been taking advantage of the 5% offers during mid week and have had a few bookings from this. It’s great that your space gets emailed out to people that have looked on those dates. To make up for the 5% lost I replace the free trade chocolate bar with biscuits and leave less fruit. 🙂 no complaints;) 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Matthew285 That is such good news. You get to breathe a big sigh of relief! I had a similar situation recently too. I set aside a weekend for some friends and they canceled last minute on Monday. On Thursday I got an instant book from a SuperHost from Amsterdam with about 245 reviews and 10 listings at my list price.  I didn’t use the discount offer, I just used a “LBJ” prayer. Cha-Ching the money thing, New Friends are coming for a visit! 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

@Rene-and-Zac0 so... are you still friends with the people that cancelled on you last minute?

@Matthew285 LOL yes, we are still friends. I owed her a favor because she agreed to be my ‘listing guinea pig’. They were our very first guest and she help me find all the little flaws, so I set aside this weekend. So I paid back the favor and I got a booking too. I’m sure she won’t raise too much of a stink but my calendar is not as empty as it once was, so those weekends will be harder and harder to set aside. 

‘You know know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Matthew285 I've currently got a ticket open trying to find out how many discounts went into one reservation (there is no way for me to tell & the initial CS can't tell me how the pricing was configured). I think a last minute got added to the weekly and the total ended up somewhere crazy. CS is supposed to be getting back to me to tell me how that works. I'll report back if they have anything useful to say.

@Kelly149. Hi! I read your comment and it kind of sounds like it was meant for a different discussion thread.

Am I missing something?

@Matthew285 no, I meant it here (cause it is great that the coupon brought you a booking) bc hosts may not realize how abb stacks the different discounts.

In other words, that 10% off may take off more than a host may realize

@Kelly149, thank you for explaining it!

Yes, you are correct: once a host is done applying this promotion and that promotion, who knows what total discount is on offer.

Is there any easy way to see what the final price of any given night is going to be?

@Matthew285 NO!! there isn't

And once a reservation is confirmed there is absolutely no way to tell what your pricing was bc abb just converts everything into one AVERAGED daily rate. Which is a problem in the future if a guest wants to shorten/lengthen/alter...

@Kelly149, Ah, I see.

Hence, your open trouble ticket with AirBnB...

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Thank you for sharing