The Empty Fridge Scenario

Kate640
Level 3
Ardersier, United Kingdom

The Empty Fridge Scenario

Hi folks

I offer a private room, shower-room next door and breakfast goods, to which guests help themselves. I list the breakfast goods multiple times throughout my listing. On their arrival I greet and show guests around. This includes the kitchen where I highlight the location of breakfast goods (yet another opportunity to make it clear!). 

My issue is that on more and more occasions now, guests are helping themselves to my food. 

This morning I discover that packs of ham, prosciutto, and expensive cheeses have been opened and the prosciutto and ham finished off completely!  I’ve had worse, where all eggs, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, etc have been used up. 

I have no wish to put locks or signs all over my small house, or to confront guests who are otherwise very pleasant. I’m very aware that people are on a holiday which is important to them. There are always other things which show that guests are not reading the listing, including house rules, but this one is really getting on my nerves. I’m considering a cheery leaflet in the room ‘Enjoy your Breakfast’ listing what is available in the kitchen. Any other ideas?

Kate

40 Replies 40
Kate640
Level 3

Thanks Kelly!

I’ll take your ideas on board, humour does go a long way. Your listing looks amazing 🙂

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

When I started ABB, i offer breakfast, with home made fresh bread and cakes. It isnt work because people not only eat their breakfast, they packed their lunch or snacks.

I removed the access to my kitchen for two reasons. Opportunists and people with lack of hygien. Not everyone wash the hands before open your fridge, touch your pots or cuttlery, ham, cheese or the slices bread. 

Maybe i am bit picky with where the hands goes before come and touch my stuff.

* sorry for my english...one day I would speak like you guys 😉

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kate640  Might there be any space in your kitchen or pantry to put one of those pint-size bar fridges?  The really small ones that don't include a freezer compartment. If so, that may be a solution. You just make it crystal clear that the stuff in there is for the guest and the stuff in the big fridge is yours and strictly off-limits. Maybe also an attractive basket for their dry goods, so they're not rifling through your cupboards.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 I had read through all the other messages on here before finally reading yours only to find that you had written exactly what I was going to suggest!  

@Kate640 Could you perhaps invest in one of those lidded  plastic boxes (like Tupperware but supermarket own brand) for your own cold meats and cheeses and stick a label on the lid saying "Please do not touch" or something similar.

Kate640
Level 3

Thanks @Sarah977  and @Rachel0  space is tight but I’m certainly going to see what I can manage. Thanks so much for your suggestions 🙂

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Kate640  Sarah's suggestion of a mini fridge is a great idea. In my listing, kitchen access is limited to the refrigerator, coffee station, and counters to prepare small meals like sandwiches, but no cooking.

I want guests to feel at home, but I don't want them rummaging through my kitchen cabinets!

I clearly mark two shelves in the refrigerator as "guest" shelves. And sometimes I'll leave beverages or yogurt or something else on these shelves for them, although I don't advertise it. I've never had an issue with guests taking any of my food.

I did have an issue with guests continuing to rummage through my kitchen cabinets for glasses, utensils, etc. even though I already provide these for guests and indicate in my rules to please not use my personal kitchen items! I solved that problem by clearing out a small cabinet in the kitchen and, on the outside it's clearly marked "Guest Cabinet" and filled with glasses/plates solely for guest use. This seemed to do the trick to keep guests out of my other cabinets and is much more hospitable than place labels on all the cabinets telling guests to keep out! LOL

I was also going to suggest that you make and mark some separate shelves in your fridge for guests.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Kate640 @Suzanne302 @Rachel0 @Sarah977 @Kelly149 

I used to have this issue to when I started hosting, I include a clear description of what may be on offer for breakfast in my listing as ABB is Air Bed & Breakfast.

I also include a snippet in my House Manual and reasonableness for what one may eat.

You may like to mention where breakfast supplies are when giving an introductory tour.

It's a good idea to include in your listing if Guests are wanting to cook meals other than standard breakfast to advise asap, it helps with planning & to ensure there's shelf space in my fridge during their stay.

All the best

Nicola542
Level 2
Newton, United Kingdom

@Kate640 Hi Kate, personally I think I would be tempted to totally withdraw the breakfast option. Some hosts around where I live offer similar accommodation but without breakfast, because there are plenty of small cafes etc where  guests can  buy their own breakfast. Would this be an option for your location? 

Alternatively, if you still want to keep supping breakfast for guests and  giving them access to your fridge, how about a large plastic box ( or tray)  in the fridge clearly marked “guest breakfast box/tray”. 

I haven’t had time to read all the replies so maybe it’s already been suggested ... good luck 😉 

Kate640
Level 3

Thanks Nicola,

I'd like to withdraw it all but there are no options in the small village where I am!

I've had lots of helpful suggestions, including yours 🙂

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Kate640, may be you can provide breakfast stuff in small individual packages? I do it and it works well. Just to put it on the plates a bit in advance, so they see that their breakfast is on the table. No need to open my fridge!

In my experience I had only one group that took all fruits with them:)