The Fly in the Ointment: All about insects in your ABB space

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The Fly in the Ointment: All about insects in your ABB space

woman_screaming1.png

So many hosts have been posting recently about guests complaining that they saw an insect in their ABB space. Some guests have even asked hosts to remove insects from outside! As the purveyor of Firefly Cottage, I am particularly sensitive to this issue, especially during the warm summer months.

How do you prevent complaints about creepy crawlies in your space? 

How do you deal with guests who are insect phobic?

How do you address dings on your "cleanliness" score due to that stray moth or fly that wandered inside?

Is there anything you do in your listing to inform guests about encountering insects or other natural elements?

Do you do anything to remediate insects in your space or on your property?

How has ABB responded if a guest complained of an insect in your space?

I would love to see a discussion of this topic and hear some ideas for helping protect hosts (and guests) from the issues that "bug" them 🐝

1 Best Answer
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 

I think the best approach is to seal up the house really well to keep both insects and rodents out. I did this when I renovated my listing. I sealed up every possible way bugs could get in larger than say the head of a pin. 

That's why "new construction" is generally more desirable and expensive.  It just a lot less likely to have all kinds of issues that older houses can have. Although, I've made my old house that had a lot of issues very clean and habitable, and my reviews reflect that. New ductwork, vapor barriers, sealing up to keep out insects and rodents. 

That being said its like Florida here and impossible to keep them from coming in though door. But in general if a listing has insects or rodents they should expect reviews to reflect that. If a host is booked and only want to do cosmetic improvements and still make very good profit on STR they run the risk of less that perfect reviews or being delisted. 

The risk with just poisoning every insect in the yard and around the house is that roaches start to crawl around before they die so guest more likely to see them, and also killing the beneficial insects outside like fireflys.  

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 "Is there anything you do in your listing to inform guests about encountering insects or other natural elements?"  Not atm. After the first guest complains about a fly and tries to get a refund, I will have to, I suppose. And I'm sure it's inevitable. We are in the country, so flies, spiders and fleas etc. are a thing. Although, I think they all know enough by now not to even dare set wing inside MY PLACE.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Colleen253 lol! I am glad you have them trained! I am still struggling with that. 

I added a line to my house rules about our space not being great for the insect-phobic. We do everything possible to control bugs indoors but we can't know what guests do with leaving doors and windows open. 

@Laura2592 You should be well covered with that, and the title of your listing, lol. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Laura2592  This is my "Bug Disclaimer"

"Since my space is a Certified Wildlife Habitat through the National Wildlife Federation, all kinds of wildlife may visit my property. I do not use chemical sprays or treatments of any kind in the garden. I am conscientious about manually removing bugs that may gain entry to the house. If you happen to be visited by a bug, let me know, and I will humanely remove it as soon as possible."

It's under "Other Details to Note".   Of course, guests have to read that section.

I am tempted to put a footnote under it saying "Please Note: We do not try to kill things on this property". 

@Michelle53 thanks Michelle!

We do treat for mosquitoes...I would love to have this designation but they are BAD at our place if we do nothing. We back to a creek which can have standing pools around it after a rainstorm. When we bought the place it was September-- we went after closing to walk around and came out totally covered in bites 😞 We have also had ants get in and guests mention them, so we now do a barrier treatment of the house.  Basically we try to make our place bug free using products that are as gentle as possible. Its great that you are able to remove any critters that visit your space!

@Laura2592  We get mosquitoes around here, too, but since folks aren't spending much time outside, here, like they would if there was a back yard available, it's never been an issue for guests.

We also have ant season, but they seldom get inside. I had a few in the house this spring due to it having been so dry - I think they were looking for water. 

Occasionally, a small (and I mean small - as in a couple of millimeters) spider will take up residence in the guest space. I do a pre-check for those prior to guest arrival. Of course, that doesn't mean one won't come in during a stay. 

The one time I had a complaint about that (it was a very high maintenance guest in so many ways, and I missed all the red flags) CS was totally unsympathetic.  Guest cancelled after one night, after spending the night with said scary arachnid, but never asked me to come in and get it.  They arrived very late - so I figured they weren't happy with the space for other reasons, and poor "Spid" was the sorry excuse. 

When I first started hosting, I had a fear that someone would track bedbugs in, especially after staying in one of our large hotels (which had a couple of rather bad bedbug years).  I always put bedbug traps under the mattresses. Not only have I never found a single bedbug, but no other insects either. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I'm super casual about it, don't have any disclaimer in my listing info.

This approach would only pertain to hosts who meet and greet.

When guests check in, and I am orienting them, I just drop it in like it's normal, which it is here in the tropics.

"Here's the light switch for that light, you  can also turn it off or on from the switch by the bed. Here's the fan control. As this is the tropics, where insects are prevalent, make sure to shake out your shoes and clothes before putting on, and don't leave food or food wrappers around or you'll have an ant invasion. I vacuum your space thoroughly, but that doesn't mean another bug can't wander in. The spiders you might encounter are harmless and eat other bugs, but if you see one and want me to remove it, just let me know- I realize lots of people are phobic. The mosquito net will keep any insects off you at night.

Your clean towels are here, hot water takes a few minutes to work its way through the pipes..."

I tend to get seasoned, worldly travelers, so I've never had anyone flip out over a bug sighting.

@Sarah977  I used to do a lot of wilderness hiking - I like the idea of sliding the bug information into the general intro, as one more thing to note. 

One time, I remember a wilderness guide telling us we had to put our hiking boots upside down on sticks stuck in the ground, so no scorpions would crawl into them during the night.    In passing, like that. No biggie.

@Michelle53  My experience is that if you pre-empt guest freak-outs by making it matter-of-fact, they probably feel foolish going into screaming panic mode or demanding a refund.

But I don't get city slicker guests who don't realize that a place in the countryside in the tropics wouldn't be insect-free.

All I've ever gotten is a request to remove a spider from the ceiling and a guest saying there was an ant invasion in her bathroom one evening, which there was (scouts looking for a place to hide their eggs), which we smashed with shoes rather than me spraying insecticide she'd have to breathe all night.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

Our spaces are located in places that get humid, are located close to wooded areas, and tend to get bugs and critters, but I don't have any particular disclaimer other than telling guests not to leave out open food and beverages (and putting it in the house rules), because it attracts vermin.  Fortunately, thus far I've not had any guest complaints.  We do try to be environmentally conscious, but do spray for roaches and use ant gel at all of our properties, and will continue to do so.

Lol, I literally named my place "Nature House"... so guests should know that's what they're getting!  I have also made best friends with my local exterminators who take care of any mice and ant issues.  🙂  

@Jennifer2682 I remember your listing-- that lovely hot tub!

We named ours Firefly Cottage for many reasons but guests still don't associate fireflies with regular old bugs.

@Laura2592    Maybe that's because there are so many places named after wildlife that don't actually live there any more due to development. Like "Deer Run Apartments" or "Wolf Creek Condos"   😉

Ha, yes, and I still get the one who will complain of a fly buzzing around even though they admitted to leaving the doors open.  🙂