The Front Door

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

The Front Door

First impressions are important. In a unit within a condo complex, the first impression is often set at and around the front door, and can set the stage and rhythm of subsequent satisfaction (or dissatisfaction!) of the guest.

At our complex, an internal hallway leads to the front doors of all of the units. All of the doors, and especially the ones used for short-term rentals, are full of scratches, slashes and dings from suitcases, cleaning equipment, etc. being hauled in and out.

I am fairly sure by the looks of the doors that the management company has not prepped, primed, and/or used the right kind of paint. Although the units are in good shape once inside, these front doors look terrible.

I don’t know how far I’ll get in dealing with the management company, so I was thinking that it might be easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, so I’m tempted to paint the outside of the door to our unit myself.

At first I was thinking that a metal panel on the bottom quarter of the door would do the trick, but I’m pretty sure management would not allow it, as uniformity is a priority at most condo complexes. 

Thus, I began my research. I started looking specifically for paint meant for commercial use, and it looks like some epoxy-based paints might be designed for this purpose. But before I embark on this project, I wanted to survey my fellow hosts.

Do you have any words of wisdom on processes, products, etc. for making an internal front door more durable and bash-proof?

2 Replies 2
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Pat271 

I agree that the entrance way and condition of the doors and paint are the first impression and should be a good one.   

That's really a good idea to upgrade to a more durable paint for the doorways.It might require more prep work to get a good bond depending on how well the existing paint is adhering to the surface.

I've used an enamel, even latex based enamel for doorways, as you say its more durable and less prone to being dinged up. I've also used a Ben Moore product that was a latex based paint that had the characteristics of oil based for a bathroom vanity that also matched the kitchen cabinets as there was some trim pieces that needed painting, so use that as touch up also and is compatible with the lacquer paint on the cabinets from the factory that is also tough. 

Every six months or so I touch up any scratches or scuffs. I think I did most of it pulling a shop vac so it could be the cleaners. And more durable paint would help a lot of it has a good bond and the layer beneath it isn't prone to peeling off. 

Oh and the little magic erasers can remove a lot of scuff marks. 🙂 

@John5097  Thanks, John! Yes, the magic erasers are a miracle. I use them mainly on the walls. They truly are magic!