The Guest left dirty stains all over the light carpet during first 40 minutes of stay and sent me

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

The Guest left dirty stains all over the light carpet during first 40 minutes of stay and sent me

a message, which says:

- I noticed dirty stains on your carpet. Just to inform you, so you would not charge more for cleaning.

40 minutes before he signed the paper that the cleanness is ideal.

The guest is a student.

I immediately made the pics of the stains, street shoes with dirty soles, placed on the light carpet (forbidden by the house rules to walk in street shoes, we give home rubber slippers, 3 sizes, fully desinfected). But the guy rejected to walk in home shoes. After he signed the paper that the cleanness is ideal and so on, and I left for my things to do, he walked into the room in his dirty shoes and started to blackmail me about his own fault. What would you do? 

A student from one of the top Universities in USA.

The airbnb support is keeping silent for few days now.

What to write in a review? "Better for being placed in student's hostel"?IMG_4936.JPGIMG_4937.JPGIMG_4938.JPG

27 Replies 27
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Olga464 If you are sure that the stains were left the guest, you can mention it in your review. It will help other hosts when they receive booking request from this guest.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I am inhouse host. Yes, I am sure. As i have a paper to sign, that we inspected the cleanness. And it's always ideal. as we serve embassies and international police and do not allow to walk in street shows full of dirt.

@Mike1034  I will mention the level of diplomacy of the guest. That the host can be easily blamed for the dirty stains the guest left during first 40 minutes of stay, and dirty shoes spread all over the light carpet. I am still wondering, why untidy people book very light surfaced apartments, if they know the risk.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Olga464 

yeah, and you also placed the duvet on the floor ?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I never place white duvets on the floor. I am very clean by my nature. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Olga464 

He possibly thinks you are a 'pushover' and is trying to cover his actions!

Olga I would message this guest and say....

"I do not charge extra cleaning for the additional work that guests create but, I am disappointed when guests break my House Rules and wear street shoes inside my listing. I would please ask you to respect my property and not wear your shoes inside again while you are here!"

That should make him a bit embarrassed and wish he hadn't brought it up in the first instance!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4  we will see

@Robin4  What I'm really dissapointed about is the guest having unhealthy tendency of blaming owners for his own faults.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Olga464 

Olga, thatis what they will do!  Always find something else to blame.

My second last guest said to me.....and I quote,

"I broke a plate, it attacked me from the cupboard"!

That was it, no sorry  or attempt to replace it.....

I went in and checked after she left.....

IMG20190701094231.jpg

She had in fact broken two plates, but felt one was not broken badly enough to throw away or own up to.....she just put in back in the cupboard and,.....who knows what she thought, maybe I wouldn't notice! ;-((

Olga guests like this do seem to be on the rise. I just recently put my cleaning fee up another $5.00 to cover the rise in careless damage that we can expect from Airbnb guests these days.

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  Rob, your post is geniale))))) "Attacking plates".... whats next.... attacking snow falling out of air conditioner.... rats jumping out of toilet, biting off intimate parts... My proportion of problem guests is  3 guest pop up among 50. Which is not that dramatic. At least, I am thankful that they didn't burn my place.

@Olga464  He did not read your house rules clearly. Therefore, he blamed you that his ignorance was because of your house rules.

@Alice595  we have 3 levels of house rules confirmation.

1) The Ad (info online)

2) Intro Letter

3) Short rental contract with the rules signed by the guest.

The guest proved that he read all on the stage 2.

@Olga464  He must be an American, sad to say.  I'm sure you'll make us all proud and teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.  Best of luck. 

@Mark116  I had a lot of american guys who were exceptionally clean. This dude is just young.