The Kusi season at the Kenyan Coast

Pam5
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Malindi, Kenya

The Kusi season at the Kenyan Coast

Screenshot_20220518_100559.jpg

The Kenyan coast goes through two main seasons: The Kusi and Kaskazi

The Kusi is when we have the strong Southern monsoon winds which blow from April to November. During Kusi it is considered low season because the seas are generally rough for snorkelling or diving (tourism) and fishing conditions are also unfavourable. Fishing and tourism are the main economic activities along the Kenyan coast.

The Kaskazi on the other hand are the Northern monsoon winds that blow from late November through to March - and this is considered a high season because the conditions are favourable for both tourism and fishing.

At the moment we are experiencing the Southern Monsoon winds and the season is typically wet. Tourism and fishing is low during this time of year so it's not a really good time to travel, however the season comes with friendly rates from our Airbnb host community 🙂

So what do we do? During this season most businesses that depend on tourism close down for renovation or receive the few tourists who are taking advantage of the low season prices.

I wonder what season you are in, in your part of the world?

PamG
6 Replies 6
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Pam5 thanks for the informative post.  Kenya is definitely on my bucket list, and now I know when to go 🙂 

In Maine, where I host, we are just about to enter the high season, which kicks off on Memorial Day, the last Monday in May, and typically ends on Labor Day, the first Monday in September.  Many places that cater to tourists will open just before the Memorial Day weekend.  October in New England is also popular, because the weather is dry and cool and the trees change color.  March and April, "mud season," are the lowest of the low, with very little snow on the ground to brighten things, rain and clouds, and not a single sign of spring.  But suddenly, just before the visitors come, the skies clear, the buds open up, and summer is here.

Pam5
Malindi, Kenya

@Ann72 Thank you so much for sharing what is happening in your part of the world. Isn't it amazing how when one part of the world its low season another it's high season. 

Please let me know when you plan to come to Kenya it will be great to meet you Ann in person. Incase you have any questions about my lovely country am happy to guide you.

Enjoy the warm weather! 🤗

PamG
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Pam5, thanks for sharing your lovely post 😊. My aunt and uncle, & kids lived in Kenya for about 2 years — they loved it! 

Over here in London (UK), we'll be hitting summer next month, but the weather is actually already lovely. I have been able to walk outside without having to wear a jacket for a few days now. 

I haven't seen much rain yet over the past few weeks, but it appears that today is the time for some rainfall according to the weather forecast. The past few summers have been quite warm, with the summer of 2018 being the hottest I have ever experienced in London. I believe temperatures were at a record 37c - 38c. Winter has been very mild as well, which was quite a shame as I like it when there's some snowfall. 

In preparation of summer, I'd like to focus on getting my terraces sorted. I've probably said this a few times on the CC, but never really got to it 😃

Here's a list of things I'd like to do

• Hang up outdoor light bulbs
  • Buy 2 bar chairs
  • Add more plants

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Pam5
Malindi, Kenya

Hi @Quincy great hearing from you. Which part of Kenya was your family at? Am on the Southern part of Kenya in a small historic town called Malindi. Its a little bit wet and windy though we do have some sunshine during most part of the day. It's hard to predict the day, Global warming is catching up with us. I have been to the UK and every time I hoped to experience snow but I didn't hopefully one day. 

About your list, you got this☺️ and  all the best enjoy your summer season. 

PamG
Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Hey @Pam5 , definitely, Kenya is on my wish list!

Interesting to know how seasons work around the world 🙂

Here, in the Canary Islands, we are starting the summer season but, our peak is during the winter season because the temperature is like an eternal spring and our guests, most of them from Northern Europe, come to enjoy it.

Have a nice day and I hope to meet you soon!

Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

Hi @Pam5 

Lovely to hear about the seasons in your part of the world and how this works with tourists.   I am in Sydney Australia. We are going into Winter and typically this is a quiet time of the year for tourists. We are seeing some tourists coming back to visit and take advantage of the lower rates and I think some of them are coming to catch up with family they have not seen for some time.  Spring can start in August and give us beautiful warm day time days with cooler evenings.  Often a lovely time to visit.   In the north of Australia the cooler seasons are an ideal time to visit before the heat of summer. Also the cooler months in the northern coastal areas mean there are less box jelly fish about so if snorkling there is no need to wear a skin suit to protect you from these stinging jelly fish in the ocean.