The Mystery of the 2-Sided Review Process-- Just Sayin'

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

The Mystery of the 2-Sided Review Process-- Just Sayin'

I am, after asking this question, many times on these boards, and even making fun of myself and how I break this news to new user guests, going to stand by my assertion that ABNB doesn’t adequately explain the 2-sided review process to the new guest user-- Even my guests who read every word of my listing are shocked when I mention the mutual trust process of the 2-sided review. They (1st time guests) have no clue I will be reviewing their stay. Seriously, no clue.

If I was under 100 guest stays into this I would chalk it up to coincidence, If I was only 200 guests stays into this, I would be curious—as it stands, on the way to 300 guest stays—I am just going to say, “Show me.” I have looked, and found lots of info floating on the web, written by people writing articles good and bad about the home stay industry,  but nothing in the ABNB proper site in the new user info.

How are virtually 95% of my new guests missing this? The other 5% only know because they have traveled with someone who is not a new user, or they have been told by another guest user. I get Doctors, Lawyers, IT people, artist, scientists and even a few famous people staying in my humble digs-- people one would assume are of a reasonable intellegence and awareness-- and still, nothin'.

I have a feeling if that info is actually there, or if it is, making it way more prominent, there might be fewer guests willing to nitpick, or act in a manner that assumes no recourse, or perhaps might even result in fewer issues regarding negative guest behavior posted in these boards? Knowing you are going to be "graded" at the end of a stay, might help some guests make appropriate attitude adjustments and think twice before complaining about something that was clearly and always in the host information and possibly jepardizing future use/stays with other hosts?

If there indeed isnt anything that prominently appears  explaining this process to the new user, I am curious and straight up asking (in the nicest and freindliest way possible)  why not?  Consequently,  if it's not there, or not really, really obvious, why it is my responsibility as a host to educate the guests to this reality? This doesnt fall into the category of "my autonomy" in this process/protocol."Does ABNB feel that by disclosing this tidbit upfront, that it will result in fewer people becoming new users?

...and just for grins,although we dont require previous reviews to stay with us,  I'm also going to throw out there: What if a new user books a string of stays, does well on a few but then totally blows it and gets a negitive review before he hits my stay? Am I responsible for having to go in a recheck reviews just before a guest arrives? Or will ABNB send me an auto message warning me of the guests bad review and offer a choice to cancle or reroute the guest before arriving here, without penalty?

Perhaps one of you, who is surely smarter, sleuthier and far more astute than I, (and clearly 95% of my new user guests) or

@Lizzy could direct me (us,) please?

Thanks!!!!

9 Replies 9
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Hello @Nancy67,

I had never noticed this; but now that you mention it this is very likely! I have a lot of first-timers and they seriously act as if there will be no consequences of their actions.

What you mention is on Airbnb, there's an article on the FAQ called "How can I be a considerate guest?" and at the very end it mentions both the host and the guest will be able to review each other: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/695/how-can-i-be-a-considerate-guest

I usually send first-timers a message like "Hello, I noticed that this will be your first time using Airbnb; I love receiving guests that are new to Airbnb. Do you have any questions or concerns about staying in my home instead of a hotel? I would like to know in order to exceed your expectations. Here's an interesting article that I have found to be very useful for first-timers like you (and I paste the above link)."

Nevertheless, taking your post into consideration I have added to my house's manual and my listing (under rules) the following phrase that I hope will help (and I will be sending to future guests):

Consider guests are reviewed on: cleanliness, communication and observance of house's rules. Please make sure you read our house's rules and share with us your concerns promptly.

What do you all think about the above phrase? Would you consider it okay or does it sound like "do something wrong and I will punish you with a bad review!!!" ?

Thanks!

@Tania-and-Andrew0 

And that's a good start, however the explanation is vague-- in my opinion, it doesn't really cut through-- (paragraph below) it's merely a suggestion. It doesn't  create the understanding that hosts and future travelers will not have the opportunity to read whatever honest review they are leaving unless they understand they will in turn have to accept and live with the review left by the host for them. 

"After your trip

Always leave an honest review for your host to help guide future guests. Airbnb is built on community, and your host will also be invited to leave a review for you.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Ha! Yes, @Nancy67! When I say to new user guests as I'm checking them in, "... and don't worry about mud at all. It can't be helped here, and I never review a guest poorly for a bit of mud..." the look of shock on their faces turns out not to be because I am so marvelously understanding about overlooking mud. It is because they have just learned they will be reviewed. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Nancy67 Yes, I got the idea from a post awhile back so that now my listing says something like "since we'll both be reviewing each other it's important that we both....." as I'm opening the rule section. 

Guest today got the "would be better suited to a hotel" review after acting like none of the rules applied to them or their stay

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kelly149

Kelly, I think you have got it in one here,  you have to actually spell it out to a guest!

@Nancy67 it is not that you have had in excess of 200 stays, or even reviews....it's what have you learned from those guests who have stayed with you and have reviewed you???

Nancy I can't boast anything like your experience having only hosted 110+ guests but I can almost instantly pick which guests will leave reviews and those who won't!

Guests who will continually talk about themselves and their experiences will very rarely leave reviews. Life is about themselves and they in general don't consider others, and leaving a review is of no importance to them!

First timers don't as a rule leave reviews because they don't understand the system and don't realise how important the review system is to hosts. They may have absolutely adored their stay, but to them it's a bit like a Hilton room, it doesn't require a comment!

Internationl travellers don't leave reviews because in many instances they are 'on the road' and have more important things to be involved with than where they might have stayed 5 nights ago!

It is up to us as hosts to point out that 5 stars is the default rating as far as Aibnb are concerned and anything less than that means there is room for improvement.....'was there anything in my cottage that needed improving?'

If less than 80% of guests give less than a 5 star rating a host will be penalised.

Nancy, it is dreadfull that we have to point out these things out to guests but, it is self preservation.....Airbnb have set the ground rules and we have to work within those rules!

Nancy........ you do have to educate the guest to this reality!!

Cheers.....Rob

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I had a "last minute" guest just a couple days ago. While chatting I mentioned some of my past guests and their reviews. He was surprized and asked if he would be reviewed also. I told him that I try to complete the review as soon as the automated request comes through.  I'm running about 75/25 on those knowing about the review process.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Toby-And-Stella0
Level 1
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom

I don't take first time  or no guests with jo reviews. They either have been poor guests elsewhere and the host just avoided reviewing them. Or as new users of air bnb compare you to non Air bnb accommodation.....and leave poor reviews. I always get great reviews from experienced travellers and air bnb users. But always get knocked by first timers. I don't think first timers should be allowed to review. First time air bnb users should not be able to leave reviews. They are always the worst reviewers as they have nothing to compare air bnb to. Apart from maybe a hotel etc. Also they should only be allowed if they themselves have had two positive reviews as guests. I think they need to have stayed at an air bnb 5 times before they become reviewers and part of the community. They can then give more realistic reviews. What do you think? 

AirBnb reviews from other hosts are essential (for me) to feel comfortable hosting anyone in our cottage. I’m not going to accept a stranger that knocks on my door to rent the Cottage and I certainly don’t feel comfortable with first-timers with no reviews. I think of the review process like the guests resume, you certainly wouldn’t hire someone for a job with a blank resume, and I can’t accept any guests with no reviews. 

Maybe when we become more experienced hosts, we will be more open to first-timers with no reviews, but for now we are busy enough accepting qualified guests who have at least 1 review on their resume for us to make an informed decision. 

@Toby-And-Stella0  That has not been my experience at all. I've accepted guests with no reviews and first time users and they have all left lovely reviews and 5* ratings.

Three showed they had been members for several years, yet had no reviews. It certainly wasn't because they had been bad guests. In one case he had joined but never had a chance to travel, in another she had stayed at Airbnbs before but with her husband, booked under his account, in the third case, her past 2 hosts simply hadn't bothered to leave reviews.

All of those guests were great guests. You can't make blanket statements about these things as if they were fact- not all hosts have the same experience.