The Offer of a FreeCarbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector

Christie16
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

The Offer of a FreeCarbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector

Hi,

I received an offer for a free detector with my listing. I live in Canada. Does Air BNB pay for the shipping? I think I would have to pay for the duties if customs applies. 

If they do, I will not do this.

If this is shipped and I receive notice that I have to pay duties and taxes, I intend to not pick it up. 

Is this ok?

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I cannot guarantee anything, @Christie16, because things change, but I am in Canada and received the free carbon monoxide/smoke detector a year or so ago and it cost me nothing - no fees, no duties, no postage. 

Thanks Lawrene,

We might take a chance and order it

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Christie16,

Lovely to meet you. 

I'm not sure if you have seen the dedicated Home Safety page? If you scroll down, this has a link to the Terms on it which provide more information. 

I hope this helps and you are able to get a shinny new carbon monoxide/smoke detector. 🙂 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for your reply. We have decided to buy our own detector since we may have to pay duties on the shipping. Cheaper to get our own

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw no problem @Christie16. Thanks for your reply.

Happy holidays. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Nancy207
Level 2
Swellendam, South Africa

Please kindly advise if anyone has had to pay for customs tax if they take up the offer

of a FRee smoke detector in Cape Town South Africa.

If so how much was it?

Do you need an electrician to install it?

Thank YOu Nancy

Aimee67
Level 1
Pretoria, South Africa

I am in Pretoria, South Africa and had similar questions. 

Does Airbnb send a detector from the US, in which case the Ts & Cs say import duties would be payable.

Has anyone else in SA received a detector and had to pay duties? Roughly how much was it?  

Maybe they use a SA supplier? Would save carbon...

Patsy28
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Nancy and Aimee and all out there - was there any response regarding import duty for South Africa - I have been caught previuosly having to pay huge import tax on gifts sent to my family so need to know if it is worth taking this 'free' offer.  

Thanks to Airbnb for trying to help us to be safe.

Regards

Patsy

Teeke0
Level 1
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

I am from Malaysia. I applied for free smoke detector in Dec 2018. Until now has not received. It's more than 8 weeks. Can someone assist?