The Post, Admins felt the need to censor... Ad-lib anyone?

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

The Post, Admins felt the need to censor... Ad-lib anyone?

FYI..I still don't know what guideline I broke. I bolded the words that may have been so offensive.. Lets have fun! @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  @Mike323 

Airbnb I used to Love You...

I became a guest in 2013 and immediately fell in love with Airbnb. Since then, I've visited 40 countries and 100's of cities, hosted well over 1200 guests, and looked forward to constantly improving our space. Of course, I'm biased, but after staying in many Airbnb's throughout my travels, ours by far, was the best. I learned from others and created a hi-tech well designed experience, like no other. We've always had an occupancy average in the 90's. As hosts, we made such an impact with our guests that we were set to be featured in Airbnb magazine in May 2020 for our city. This was before Covid of course. That issue was never released.

Wow...how times of changed. I remember when a bad guest was a very rare occasion. When it did happen, customer service was there in minutes! Those were the days. We've recently had a series of terrible guests, specifically the damaging of bedding,  furniture and rule breaking. This inevitably ending in a retaliatory bad review due to requesting them to pay for the damages. To top it off,  Airbnb has decided to support a "mar_ _ _ _" organization "#_ _ _, in my opinion, and hand over $500k to this political group instead of using that to support it's hosts. Wait times to speak with CS has reached 30 minutes to hours and even days.

For the first time in 7 years, the Airbnb brand has gone from one that I LOVE and shared with my friends to one I equate with frustration, anger and disappointment.  I don't know what my next move will be, but I blocked most of July to really clear my head and decide if I break up with you for good.

Very sad day...

22 Replies 22
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Juan63 

I still really can't understand how your original post didn't get posted, yet my exact copy STILL including your 'naughty words' did ?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Post-is-removed-again/m-p/1313977/highlight/true#M312524

I am reminded that if Airbnb feels that hosts or guests who share your views, political or otherwise, should not be permitted to voice their opinions, then they should stand by their "principles" and immediately eject those from the Airbnb platform. However, how could they do that? That would only serve to slash their business in half and collapse their company within the week !

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Juan63 Why is "Marxist" a "naughty word"? - Yes, it's a naughty concept, but not a naughty word....

@Helen350 

Any word that gets caught in the "Spam Bot" is a naughty word. Marxist and #BLM are not naughty words so why are they being censored?

@Juan63 's post above is the post in which he tried to accommodate the Spam Bot for the third time in two days by removing anything he thought was remotely naughty. But no. Still censored.

The post and naughty words in their entirety are posted on the other thread (linked above) without being caught in the Spam Bot.

Juan has attempted four times at least to post here with those non-naughty words and each time was censored. Why? One can only guess, but none of those guesses paint Airbnb or the CC in any positive way.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

As I said in my previous post, there was nothing flagged in the content of this particular post. The formatted is the issue - as you can see the text is in a box/table which the filter didn't like from where it was copy pasted (presumably). When I saw this in the quarantined it was adorned with red code text where the CC couldn't read it. I accepted the error it was throwing and so it return the post.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  Thanks for the explanation.

@Stephanie 

This morning, I copied a post I was going to make because every time, the system gives a error. When I repasted that text after copying, the text wasn't there. I pasted it into a text editor and only an unfilled box existed containing no text.

How Juan would ever manage to edit any text outside of the CC and drop it into two places separated perfectly where there is a Title and Text area contained in a table is quite a feat.

You know, Your CC system prevents any html markup by warning that it will be removed before posting and to check the content is correct. How did that not work? And thats apart from the fact the original post (quarantined) was actually sent out in an email notification as well?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 ,

Yeah we have been battling with the system a while now, and there's open tickets on this already. If you're following a post or users, the email notification is sent out automatically whether the post gets caught or not. 

Next time I see the aforementioned code issue I'll take a screenshot to show you guys, it really does catch us out from time to time (OCM's included!)

I also appreciate you sharing that additional information where you've repro'd the issue, always good to get back to the techies.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hi @Stephanie  ,

as You have noticed I havent posted for a while. But I feel encouraged by Your „nice to see You back“ message to drop a few lines now and then.

I hope I can control my „tongue in cheek“ syndrome. I have that as long as I can remember and I don't know how to get rid of it.

@Helen350 Now that’s the millio...err...billion dollar question.

Ask gyorgy schwartz. Connect the dots, follow the money.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Rather than question naughty words, both here and on the original thread - @Juan63 's post has content. Why can nobody see it? I visited Juan's listing and picked up a great idea to increase income post-lockdown. Anybody guess what it might be?

hosted well over 1200 guests, 

created a hi-tech well designed experience, 

occupancy average in the 90's.

set to be featured in Airbnb magazine in May 2020 but never released.

In past bad guests were a very rare occasion.

customer service was there in minutes!

recently had a series of terrible guests, 

inevitably ending in a retaliatory bad review due to requesting them to pay for the damages.

Airbnb hand over $500k to (a) political group instead of using that to support its hosts.

Whilst wait times to speak with CS has reached minutes - hours - days.

the Airbnb brand has gone from one that I LOVE and

to one I equate with frustration, anger and disappointment. 

I don't know what my next move will be, 

decide if I break up with you for good.

Very sad day...

Pick a line...

Recalling recent posts here, all that should demand a supportive DM from the Mods, not censorship!

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

@Juan63 

That very much aligns with my own sentiments.

Its no surprise that I don’t see a problem with it. I too have put to sleep multiple listings. I appreciate that you stood up early, and remain standing. What makes us superhosts is not a badge on our profiles. It’s a personal commitment to service toward others. It’s who we are, we do what we do on based on principle, not for brownie points.

Personal example: Until this moment who would even know, except the parents and students of my international guests, that reach out for assistance long after a booking has ended, that I honor those requests without expectation of reward beyond that of just being helpful to another human being?

Like individual stones that alone seem insignificant, we are collectively the foundation of this community. As such we aught to be fairly and accurately represented. That might mean we as individuals need to stop choosing to remain silent, and start participating, each with his or her God given talents. I believe there are people from the bottom to the top who share our sentiment and will stand too if given the right equipment and opportunity.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Juan63 

set to be featured in Airbnb magazine in May 2020 but never released.

In the short time between your interview for the feature and now, things have changed. How different would your interview statement be now compared to then, and, for you, what does Airbnb need to do in order to retain you as a host in the future?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

1. Stay out of social and political issues.

2. Give hosts more control over deposits or let us require damage insurance.

3. Follow the law. Do not create policies that are stricter than federal law. For instance, being able to decline guests under 21.

This is just the start. I will post more later.

@Juan63  

You are wasting Your time.

Thousands of hosts have asked airbnb for changes for years – to no avail.

Airbnb's position is:

• As long as we supply hosts with bookings = money,
    we can treat them the way we want.

And they are right.