The Post, Admins felt the need to censor... Ad-lib anyone?

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

The Post, Admins felt the need to censor... Ad-lib anyone?

FYI..I still don't know what guideline I broke. I bolded the words that may have been so offensive.. Lets have fun! @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  @Mike323 

Airbnb I used to Love You...

I became a guest in 2013 and immediately fell in love with Airbnb. Since then, I've visited 40 countries and 100's of cities, hosted well over 1200 guests, and looked forward to constantly improving our space. Of course, I'm biased, but after staying in many Airbnb's throughout my travels, ours by far, was the best. I learned from others and created a hi-tech well designed experience, like no other. We've always had an occupancy average in the 90's. As hosts, we made such an impact with our guests that we were set to be featured in Airbnb magazine in May 2020 for our city. This was before Covid of course. That issue was never released.

Wow...how times of changed. I remember when a bad guest was a very rare occasion. When it did happen, customer service was there in minutes! Those were the days. We've recently had a series of terrible guests, specifically the damaging of bedding,  furniture and rule breaking. This inevitably ending in a retaliatory bad review due to requesting them to pay for the damages. To top it off,  Airbnb has decided to support a "mar_ _ _ _" organization "#_ _ _, in my opinion, and hand over $500k to this political group instead of using that to support it's hosts. Wait times to speak with CS has reached 30 minutes to hours and even days.

For the first time in 7 years, the Airbnb brand has gone from one that I LOVE and shared with my friends to one I equate with frustration, anger and disappointment.  I don't know what my next move will be, but I blocked most of July to really clear my head and decide if I break up with you for good.

Very sad day...

22 Replies 22
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Ute42 

I'm looking forward to your posts. With great interest..

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Juan63it seems to me that at the very least you were due a courtesy DM from the mods here to explain why your original post was censored. Of course, we can all guess the (obvious) reason. However, removing the entire post versus excising the 'offensive' material seems a bit excessive, especially given your excellent history with Airbnb. I am sorry this happened to you. 

@Rebecca181 Thank you. The reason given was a "spam filter" which really didn't make any sense because it was posted by others just fine. A few on here pointed that the obvious reason was because I called the organization  B L M, Marxist. Then I posted the link to the article where the co-founder proudly stated she was much....crickets. 

@Juan63 Oh, you must mean this direct quote here (I guess one could argue that the founders' sociopolitical orientation and 'training' does not actually 'officially' represent the organization they created and now serve, but be that as it may, it would seem that, given this direct quote, your post should be allowed to stand as is):   - @Lizzie  

"We actually do have an ideological frame. Myself and Alicia in particular, we're trained organizers. We are trained Marxists. We are super versed on ideological theories" (Patrisse Cullors, 2015, sourced from https://disrn.com/news/video-surfaces-of-black-lives-matter-founder-saying-were-trained-marxists). 

So, @Airbnb  it’s okay for a host to post the Black Lives Matter is “M.....” but another host was banned for calling out overtly racist white supremacy opinions on another thread? We need some discussion about how the corporation continues to favor one group over another.

@Christine615  The cofounder of B L M calls themselves that, I just pointed it out. I provided the proof.

Verla1
Level 2
Payson, AZ

I have been voicing the same C/O to Airbnb. They need to follow the same guidelines we have to follow. They need to stay out of political and social issues! They should not have taken any stance on BLM and they should not be supporting the democratic party. There are owners and vacationers of both parties. We as owners regardless of our political beliefs keep them to ourselves so as not to turn away vacationers. This past weekend the couple I hosted canceled with airbnb and went to VRBO because of airbnbs' political stance on the news.  Sure glad I host on both sites. This couple were in our area to look at buying property to make vacation rentals. Guess who they aren't going to advertize thru? We pay them and they need to remember they are representing us. This is not a paid platform for their political views.

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

I wonder if Airbnb feels that there is enough to gain from political donations to offset the risk that all of them will annoy one group or another? Airbnb's recent announcement that it has stopped giving to Republican politicians who denied the Biden victory shows that previously Airbnb did give to those politicians.