The Rise and fall of AJ the Superhost - Will it affect your listing?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

The Rise and fall of AJ the Superhost - Will it affect your listing?

All my fellow Canadian hosts, and doubtless some further afield as well, will probably have heard about AJ the Superhost:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/airbnb-montreal-aj-host-suspended-accounts-1.5252233

Yesterday, I got calls, in-person conversations, and texts about it from people who weren't fellow hosts. Friends and co-workers wanted to talk to me about it, and some expressed concerns about future Airbnb trips they had booked.

Coles Notes version: this guy was the 4th biggest host in Canada, with over 90 listings in Montreal. He was playing the shell game with the listings, claiming that he was double-booked and sending people to properties that were nothing like they had booked. He also had hundreds of fake reviews from fake guests - the same "guests" reviewed him many times. The issue was known to Airbnb and they suspended his listings so he couldn't take any new bookings, but they didn't let guests who had already booked know about it. Guests continued to turn up for their reservations and either have the bait-and-switch pulled on them, or stayed in properties that were dirty and unsafe. He was under review in the spring, and he just had his account de-activated now.

The first I heard about this guy was back in the Spring, when the CBC published another article about him and other hosts like him:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/biggest-airbnb-hosts-canada-corporations-1.5116103. This guy has been on the radar for a while.

How do you think this is going to affect you as a host? It concerns me as a host in Canada that people will be turned off of the platform - particularly those who are on the fence or haven't used it before. Does it worry you? I find it disheartening that it took Airbnb so long to deal with this, and let so many guests down so badly in the meantime.

53 Replies 53

@Aj87 Thank you for your detective work! I have always wanted to know what the real AJ looked like. And now my mind is at ease. I have to say I prefer the stock photo 🙂

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Aj87  @Alexandra316 

"When the interview and story came out, I was surprised to learn that not only did Airbnb know this host was fraudulent and restricted him from booking new people but that they hadn't canceled the existing bookings - which really ticked me off since I had battled with them over the phone for two hours just to get my money back when they knew the whole time that this user was a fraud"

I've written extensively on this thread, and others, on how I've been tracing and documenting exactly these types of scams - and the "hosts" behind them - for several years now. When I first stumbled across them, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the story was, or how some "hosts" were getting away with flooding their own listings with 5 star reviews, from a plethora of bogus profiles. After all, we were left in no doubt whatsoever that members could only have one single account, and anyone caught breaking that rule, would be ejected from the platform, pronto. Of course, that was before I started studying the T&Cs, and realised that for every rule and regulation Airbnb states, they also have an "unless authorised by Airbnb" caveat to negate it, depending on their whims. It was only then that I discovered there's actually a very pronounced tiered heirarchy system in operation on the platform, with a certain subset of members being treated infinitely better and more fairly than their counterparts. One rule for one, one rule for the other.

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing at first, but the more I looked, the more I saw. And the more I saw, and the longer I followed the profiles, the more patterns, similarities and "coincidences" I started to discover. Again, I'm very restricted in what I can post here, but I will say that the vast majority of hosts who were engaging in these shady practices, typically fit a certain demographic - young millenials (mostly male, some barely out of their teens), usually tech-bro types with outsized egos and ambitions, and little or no life, business or hospitality experience - but all with an uncanny ability to amass an impressive numbers of listings, over very short periods of time. 

Another thing that most of these hosts had in common, was that - perhaps unsurprisingly - they also attracted lots of seriously bad reviews, very quickly (which of course, were immediately buried under a flurry of 5 star reviews from the various bogey profiles connected with the accounts). Then I started noticing that a lot of their very worst reviews started disappearing too. Initially, I just put that down to the hosts maybe having a better way of charming the CX agents into removing reviews than the rest of us, but I did find it a bit perplexing, especially as a lot of the hosts in question seemed to somehow be retaining superhost status for much longer than expected, despite the unusually high percentage of poor reviews they were frequently receiving.

What @Aj87 discovered about ** dovetails exactly with the profile, connections and ulterior motives of almost all of the players I've encountered on the platform who are operating their Airbnb accounts in a similar manner. (Once you start pulling at the threads, it's fascinating - and horrifying - to see where they eventually lead). Suffice to say, in almost every instance, heavyweight property developers/magnates and obscenely rich investors feature prominently in the shadows of the hot-shot hosts, and some of the sugar daddies pop up again and again, in connection with several different "hosts", in several different cities/countries.

An uncommonly high number of these young, inexperienced hosts - unfathomably - go on to have spectacular success in the STR arena (despite their abysmal track records and rather obvious lack of hospitality skills and standards), clearly following in the glittering footsteps of Sonder, which was founded by a 19 year old McGill drop-out, and is one of Airbnb's most celebrated Superstar MegaHosts, now with 8600+ listings, $345 million in funding behind them and a $1 billion valuation (we won't mention anything about their previous incarnation as Flatbook, which was so bad that they had to rebrand as Sonder a couple of years ago, after which, all their shockingly bad Flatbook reviews were magically disappeared from the entire internet)

Interestingly, quite a few of the hosts that I've been observing for years, appear to have "special" connections with Airbnb, with prominent Airbnb branding on the websites of those that have them, and reviews from Airbnb employees - some quite high-up employees - often appearing on their listings. Indeed, Airbnb was even publicly recommending one of these hosts just last year (something they rarely do), at the very same time as I was observing the profiles of the two co-founders of the outfit, leaving reviews for their own Airbnb listings, time and time again. Those very hosts have since received a cool couple of mill in funding too, and have massively expanded their operation, with plans for global expansion, according to their PR efforts. And coincidentally (again), they've also recently rebranded, under a shiny new name and image, and just like Sonder, their dodgy review and reputational history has been conveniently wiped clean off the internet, and from their Airbnb profiles too. (I still have lots of "before" screenshots to refer to though, from their old account) 

I'll leave y'all to draw your own conclusions

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Susan17 Something is clearly rotten in Denmark. I smelled the stink some time ago but your sleuth investigative reporting lets me know where some of the fumes are emanating from. I thank you for this.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan17 Your in-depth research and articulate reporting never ceases to amaze me.

"...the vast majority of hosts who were engaging in these shady practices, typically fit a certain demographic - young millenials (mostly male, some barely out of their teens), usually tech-bro types with outsized egos and ambitions..."

I was just thinking yesterday how Brian Chesky has always put forth this arrogant notion that he was somehow the first person to come up with the idea of home-sharing, how people told him it would never work, etc. when in fact, the practice has been around for a long, long time. Traditional bed and breakfasts, lodging houses, guest houses, "pensions" have a long history and were exactly people opening up their homes to strangers. (I took in students who lived on islands in British Columbia, where there was no high school, for many years as my own daughters grew up and moved out and I had empty bedrooms. I also rented rooms short term to friends or acquantainces of friends who needed a place to live for awhile.) The only innovative part about Airbnb was that it was an online booking platform, which has nothing to do with any brilliant concept by Mr. Chesky, he simply happened to be born in the digital age and had that resource available to him.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

We've just had our first "big-city style" listing open in our small city (coincidentally, at the same time as a 4 lane toll highway has been completed, linking us to Toronto). The host is not listed as a person, but an entity ("Lux Properties", I think).

Until now, I'm pretty positive that the listings available here have all been small-fry hosts (though some may have 2 or 3 listings). I expect that we'll be seeing an explosion of AJ-type listings here soon, ready to put us all out of business, while at the same time eroding precious "trust" in the platform, so jealously guarded and creatively marketed by Airbnb.

@Alexandra316 @Susan17 @Sarah977 @Aj87 

There's nothing left in the bigger towns and cities for the developer, real estate, and vulture fund-backed  "mega-hosts" to hoover up, (or for local residents to rent), @Jennifer1421 - and most small, independent hosts in grossly-oversaturated markets have already been put out of business.

So inevitably, they're moving in on the smaller, secondary towns and cities now, driven by Airbnb's self-serving (and oh so calculated) "next big thing" and "trending destination" reports, and fuelled by the matching recommendations of Airbnb's close buddies at data analytics outfit, AirDNA. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

All of the shootings aren't helping Airbnb's brand and reputation, either. Seems to be a trend. Here's another one that happened this week - 20 rounds fired: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/over-20-rounds-fired-philadelphia-airbnb-leaving-man-critical-c...

Don't worry, @Rebecca181 - it's all in hand!  Airbnb have produced a cute little video, that will surely keep guests in check and prevent all that nasty criminal and anti-social behaviour.. 🙊🙉🙈

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/A-New-Year-s-Eve-reminder-for-guests-watch-the-vi...

Where is the overly dramatic theme song? (They couldn't get Elton to score it in time to release before the New Year?)