The Space Between, Apologizing and Other Self Deprecating Tales From the Edge of America

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

The Space Between, Apologizing and Other Self Deprecating Tales From the Edge of America

We live in a highly tourist trafficked coastal town in the Southern United States that has the dubious distinction of being named "The Best Small City in the United States, and 2nd (next to Florence, Italy) in the world” 2nd in Wedding destination, & a Top 3 Food and Wine destination by top travel publications, for several years running.

Engaging in this hosting endeavor started as a dare, but as a classic over-achiever, perfectionist, and inclined to share my occasional selfish pretense for really nice stuff, I accepted the challenge. We welcomed our first guest 10 days after we moved into our new home.

Our hosting profile is mostly hit and run, 1-3 day stays, gastro- tourists, wedding goers, culture chasers or those curious to see on of the oldest and most historic towns in the US. Our first year we had a total of 9 nights free between our 2 spaces. After hosting over 240 completed trips in our two, on-site spaces (one inside the home and another which is a separate space outside) in just under a year, I suffered a major burn out after a series of unforeseen “natural disasters” that resulted in AirBNB being gracious enough to reroute our guests to other accommodations, allowing us to restore the property without penalty. Despite the setbacks, the run produced Super Host status and a 96%, 5-star rating, primarily from the obsessive demands on my family to bend to my absolute authority for complete “Southern Hospitality” perfection. No exceptions.

Even though we love hosting, (despite my authoritarian-style rule,) during what we have come to refer as "The Reckoning" I lost my momentum and started to enjoy the autonomy of a suitcase-free zone. Knowing I didn’t need to rise before dawn to quietly (and self-righteously) mop floors, wash sheets, shop online for luxurious, and exotic things that would be completely unexpected for our level of nightly rate, make coffee, bake, obsess about every detail, presentation, and perform the Single-Woman show, “What to do, Where and Where Not to Go Today”, during the daily guest breakfast “summit,” It allowed me to come to my senses and face the cringe-worthy behavior and permanent emotional damage I possibly inflicted on my family with gestures and looks that were so hot, they could burn a hole through the shiplap I compelled my husband to install, in a guest bathroom he would never see, unless he was bent over the tub, scrubbing it for the next set of guests. A few weeks in, and slightly depressed, it became evident I needed to evaluate my motives and priorities. As it turns out, I owe several apologies.

Before this epiphany, I was fully convinced I had this hosting thing down to physics-grade science, In free moments from my “hosting work” I would visit the community boards to read the ventings of hosts and mostly silently, but occasionally verbally, post scoffs at other hosts, assuming that they weren’t able to “master” this business because they were too much of the following: fearful, sensitive, up-tight, controlling, cheap, demanding, pedestrian or unprepared. I unabashedly pontificated the “reality” of on-site hosting (the only position I can honestly speak from,) and that clogged toilets, stained rugs, broken lamps were “just part of the cost of doing business”—and by checking the “I agree” box to initiate a hosting contract, we are, bottom line, inviting the population of the entire planet to come stay with us without stipulation or reservation, agreeing to provide an adequate venue for complete strangers to engage in what my husband and I refer to as, “The Six S’s” of hosting: Sleep, shi.. uh, use the potty, shower, shave, sex, and strange behavior. I insisted that stuff breaks, people are needy, nice, weird, demanding and amazing--that accidents happen, even when being careful, or not--- implying not so subtly, (in my most serious, Charleston accent,) “if you can’t handle it dear, perhaps you should rethink your decision?”

For those who felt disrespected by my finger pointing (and rightfully so,) on the boards, (and otherwise) I apologize. The business of hosting is hard. It can be profitable, but for the vast majority of on-site hosts offering to share a tiny piece of their world to complete strangers, it can be a daunting task—riddled with insecurities, doubts and the parlor trick of juggling life’s regular demands with unforeseen disasters, ridicules expectations, culture clashes, constant maintenance, staying relevant, vigilant, compliant & competitive while taking less, for more, in a ever-growing base of hosts …and for me, the crazed obsession of creating an illusion of a magazine perfect, continually spotless accommodations, remain sane, non-resentful and gracious, while living as a hostage in the hell of preserved perfection, that was clearly my own making. Frankly, it was exhausting.  I’m a jackass. Again, please accept my humbled apologies. 

After some self-evaluation and a lot of graveling at home, I found, for me, pulling back, closing the calendar on one space, increasing time between guests in the other, offering a little less, commiserate with the locally watered down nightly rate, combined with going back to work (for someone else) part time, has restored a life-size world, and some much needed curative work to my marriage (sorry honey.) I am now laser focused on my own glaring maleficence. My new mantra: “ Get over yourself. You are not a “Boutique Hotel.” I am one woman (NOT Super Woman) with a middle class house---a fully functioning home, with people and pets, with all joys, responsibilities and calamities of day to day life. Oh, right, and you can't buy 5-Star ratings with house-made banana bread with donut shop style maple glaze—well, not always.”  

It is true; the basic premise of AirBNB is lost on many new to the brand and culture of house sharing. And there are certainly easier ways of making a living, but even with the inconveniences, minor crises and vast societal & cultural differences, plus the temporary insanity of my hosting mania, my family agrees the richness of this experience is the real value. We honestly missed the guests during the forced sabbatical. We’ve concluded we will never make everyone happy, so rather than focusing on assumed perfectionist expectations, we, uh, okay, (head hanging in residual shame) I, instead chose to believe you can cover a multitude of sins when you are faithful first, to the commitment of mutual inclusiveness, graciousness, openness & genuine warmth. It turns out, this, unlike imported chocolates next to the bed, custom, locally roasted coffee, or air freshener distilled and crafted from the herbs in my garden, is a currency with a nearly even exchange rate.

The take away is, more so than a Restoration Hardware style home, a hosts genuineness doesn’t get by those every-so-often, amazing, culturally aware guests I am truly not worthy of, who have sought out an authentic local stay-- Who buy in, and truly become part of who we are and where we live for a few days. The kind you actually remember their names, and miss when they go. An experience they too, hopefully will remember fondly---even when someone starts the dishwasher when they are taking a shower, or when they come down for breakfast, and the dog is mauling a baby squirrel on the sofa or when my loud, Southern gentleman husband yells an obscenity while watching the news, or, you know, when real life happens when you have guests. 5-Stars, be damned.

33 Replies 33
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Encore! Beautifully written and boy can I relate to this. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Valerie94
Level 2
Omaha, NE

Hey Nancy happy to hear you cut back and finding yourself again. I'm still new but I can relate how it can consume you if you don't pace yourself. Thanks for sharing. 

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

This is one of the best posts that I have ever read on this community.  Thank you @Nancy67,

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely piece of writing @Nancy67. It is really thought provoking, thank you for sharing this with us here. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Great, I was allways sceptical about perfectionists and obsesive compulsive people 🙂 

I couldn't read it all.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Lovely post.

1. Charleston rocks!

2. What is shipboarding?

3. Do what you love and love what you do.

4. Love those who do not love what you do and do not love what you love.

🙂

1. Yes it does. 

2. The etiquette required  when there are Officers on-board

3. Good advice

4. No clue

BTW-- it's never too late to go back to school

I googled shipboarding and came up with some crazy decorating thing.  I had NO idea that it had to do with etiquette.  I learned something today.

Item No. 4, @Nancy67, made sense when I wrote it.  Right now it doesn't.  I'll blame the glass of Malbec.

My husband was on business in Charleston and of course, I tagged along.  Stayed at a hotel near the now famous church.  I walked EVERYWHERE.  Peeked through wrought-iron gates to admire gardens, fences with spikes, your cemetaries, two plantations, the Citadel.  I could retire in Charleston.

Next time we're out that way, I'll reserve with you.  And I'll gladly pay you extra if you teach me how to make origami out of toilet paper.  😉

@Wendy-and-Frank0

OMG, I just spit coffee across the tile, damnit, now I have to get the steam cleaner out as my new guests arrival is nigh. 

The origami toilet paper thing is a great story. I had a guest of a guest from Japan who left a toilet paper origami crane neatly nestled in an origami nest on the roll. I was so impressed. I also thought to myself, “I’m betting this is the best thing I'm ever going to be left at the toilet by a guest.”

Inspired by all this Zen beauty, and inclined to the pretentiousness of the whole idea, I goggled it--- what came up was a detailed primer on a few dozen examples of flora and fauna that can be fashioned from toilet paper. Really? It is actually a thing, who knew??? I spent 3 hours and a whole roll of Charmin trying to make roses, cranes, frogs to epic fail. I finally gave in and settled on the path of least resistance, "The Fan" 

As I am also inclined to forgetfulness, I now go in and construct the fan as my last item on the checklist to ready the space for a guest—Please feel free to make it your own.

...Those 300 year old iron gates got nothin’ on my toilet paper origami fans.

@Nancy67, And the fact that you could dedicate four full paragraphs with perfect grammar and spelling is an indication that we really, really do need to take a break from all that HausFrau-related.

My apologies for the splatter across the tile.  I hope the grout is gray and the beverage clear.

Have a good day, my friend!

@Wendy-and-Frank0 @Nancy67 , no no, no, it is time to rip out the tile, make up some color matched, artisan grout, and put it all down in a new maze like pattern. when you get confused, just have some more vino, and not to waste any, just pour the rest into the  grout mix. it makes for more elasticity. anyways.  I have faith in you that you'd get it done before guests arrive, then put on your perfectly starched white apron, serve your home baked honey raisin oat cookies, gluten free of course. A glowing 4 star review will be your reward 🙂

@Bwahahahaha @Annette33,

We may as well go with concrete.  What say you, @Nancy67?

Although we may get dinged for accuracy if we don't describe it as a "warm and cozy restored federal prison".

I'm game!

@Wendy-and-Frank0....Holy schnikies—After reviewing the photos on my page I’m trying to figure out how you knew I leave toilet paper origami?? Now I'm afraid.

It's also clear I'm going to have to take new photos of the bed-- The linen cover is just wrinkled enough to appear unkempt.

I honestly wish I had it in me to just wash all that yumminess and just haphazardly toss it back on the bed --all rumpled and sexy, like the photos from the place I buy it. fullsizeoutput_216f.jpeg