The Superhost Relief Fund is now closed

Airbnb
Official Account

The Superhost Relief Fund is now closed

We want to share that the $17 million USD Superhost Relief Fund is now closed for hosts who share their homes. So far, $16.8 million USD in grants have been given to 8,700 hosts of homes and experiences around the world. The remaining grants reserved for Airbnb Experiences hosts are in progress and will be awarded through September 2020.

Who we’ve reached

About 10,400 hosts applied for a grant, and 8,700 of them received grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 USD. More than 67% of grant recipients are outside of the U.S. Invitations were prioritized to longstanding hosts in the most financial need. On average, the Superhosts invited to apply held Superhost status for nine quarters. For more information about the eligibility criteria and invitation process for the relief fund, please check out this FAQ.

Other sources of financial support

As an Airbnb host, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance from your national and/or local government. We’ve identified some of the financial relief programs that are being offered in your region. You can learn more about financial relief resources for hosts in the Resource Center. 

We want to thank all the hosts who used their applications to share their stories with us. During this unprecedented time, we’re committed to continuing to find ways to support our global community. Looking ahead, we’ll be focusing on helping you get back to what you do best: welcoming guests. We’ll keep offering insights on travel trends so you can make informed decisions about how to manage your business. And we’ll keep sharing tips for how to prepare for guests as travel returns.

39 Replies 39
Meghan79
Level 2
Portland, ME

Disappointing. . . just like Airbnb's overall response to the pandemic! I never received an invitation to apply, despite the fact that I have been a super host for more than nine quarters, and I reached out to Airbnb support concerned about my eligibility (I have three listings that are all actually the same house--two units I list separately and the two units combined for the whole house) and was assured that I would be eligible to apply for a grant. I have been in desperate need of assistance as I have seen losses exceeding $40,000 due to cancellations from Airbnb's extenuating circumstances cancellation policy. The fact that Airbnb keeps extending that policy every two weeks (now at least through August 15) is killing my ability to maintain my property. I hadn't used HomeAway/VRBO in the past, but I am now seeing those platforms as much more viable options for trying to rent (and therefore keep) my rental property. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is a difference between being eligible - many thousands of us were, and Airbnb inviting a host to apply.

They used a criteria (not disclosed) to decide this. For example, I have been hosting for five years (they said they prioritised hosts who have been hosting the longest) and live in a country where STRs were banned from March for shared homes (whole listings could let to key workers), but haven't been invited to apply.

Whereas I know three hosts in my country who were invited to apply who had only been hosting for just over a year. Go figure.

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

@Helen3 

Did you apply to your local council about discretionary grants as they are about for b&bs that pay council tax? I was in a position of slipping through all the nets but after almost two months of applying I finally got money from my council yesterday. Worth checking the council you pay council tax to and see if you can apply.  

J

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice, but I can't  because I have a shared home and am not eligible - you have to be paying business rates @John1902 

Mari19
Level 4
Hereford, AZ

Why keep telling ALL of the Superhosts about this? Maybe better to celebrate this “wonderful goodwill EXPERIENCE” with the 8700 that actually got the grant. Go ahead - have a party with the extra grant funds they have now! Not to say they don’t need or deserve it ...but ...

How do you think it makes those who ALSO work their butts off who were “invited”, applied and didn’t get it and the others who didn’t even get “invited”? I’ll tell you, from where I sit, it sure doesn’t feel like we “belong”. 

Rose125
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

It sounds like there was no rhyme or reason on how the decisions were made. They should have just divided it up among everybody. At least that would have shown goodwill rather lies and false hope. Many of our fellow hosts in our highly visited city are changing platforms. 

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

So I suggest boasting about the number that applied and how many were successful is a bit misleading when you had to be invited to apply, and actually as they selected on length of superhost tenure and they wanted to focus on the most needy, then the percentage of successful applicants ought to be a lot lower. This just says that 8/10 superhosts over four years were given a grant. To run out so soon means they ought to have been more strict on the criteria as then the money would have stretched further to those who needed it most.   It's also a slight kick in the face to be shown how much was in the host pot compared to how much the guests got as refunds.  

Kay143
Level 7
Mendocino, CA

Wow Katie, I'm glad you directed me here. Now I feel worse about hanging out with Airbnb during the shut-down. Am  I suppose to be happy that Airbnb dangled the carrot and despite meeting all the criteria, I received zero help? And, by the way, the other link in your e-mail goes to a 2018 video (at least on my computer). I would suggest that Airbnb back up a bit and go to what worked. Simplified SUPPORT for hosts and guests. Easier for you, easier for us. If there is one thing we are learning from all this, more is not better. 

Chrissy74
Level 2
San Jose, CA

I didn’t receive an invitation To apply even though I was told twice I would. In the Santa Clara County, we were hit hard. There is no telling when business will be allowed to open again and when we will get tech and trade shows  allowed again in San Jose. 
I hope others in the position my business has been put in, can somehow survive this EXTREME  financial hardship - apparently not recognized by Airbnb. 

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

What a load of crap. I never even got a return e-mail stating if I was or wasn't approved. Nor a letter suggesting why I wasn't. Sounds like good PR, but that's about it.