The Superhost Relief Fund is now closed

Airbnb
Official Account

The Superhost Relief Fund is now closed

We want to share that the $17 million USD Superhost Relief Fund is now closed for hosts who share their homes. So far, $16.8 million USD in grants have been given to 8,700 hosts of homes and experiences around the world. The remaining grants reserved for Airbnb Experiences hosts are in progress and will be awarded through September 2020.

Who we’ve reached

About 10,400 hosts applied for a grant, and 8,700 of them received grants ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 USD. More than 67% of grant recipients are outside of the U.S. Invitations were prioritized to longstanding hosts in the most financial need. On average, the Superhosts invited to apply held Superhost status for nine quarters. For more information about the eligibility criteria and invitation process for the relief fund, please check out this FAQ.

Other sources of financial support

As an Airbnb host, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance from your national and/or local government. We’ve identified some of the financial relief programs that are being offered in your region. You can learn more about financial relief resources for hosts in the Resource Center. 

We want to thank all the hosts who used their applications to share their stories with us. During this unprecedented time, we’re committed to continuing to find ways to support our global community. Looking ahead, we’ll be focusing on helping you get back to what you do best: welcoming guests. We’ll keep offering insights on travel trends so you can make informed decisions about how to manage your business. And we’ll keep sharing tips for how to prepare for guests as travel returns.

39 Replies 39
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you weren't one of the chosen ones, read this. It might warm the cockles of your heart, or it might not. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Airbnb  " Invitations were prioritized to longstanding hosts in the most financial need."

You keep repeating this lie. It was not based on financial need, because you have no way to assess that. It was based on the percentage of earnings loss between last year and this year. That doesn't establish need.

Pass out grants however you choose, but please stop misrepresenting the criteria you used.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I can stop hopefully checking my inbox now.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Airbnb 

We want to share that the $17 million USD Superhost Relief Fund is now closed for hosts who share their homes. So far, $16.8 million USD in grants have been given to 8,700 hosts of homes and experiences

Well, this question has been asked several times.. yet, still no answer.. Maybe you would like to share this with us too..?

Question: Tenure of Hosts was a prime factor in deciding which Home hosts were identified as eligible for this SuperHost Grant. So Hosts of long standing were firstly eligible. Those of 4 and 5 years standing were eligible first, meaning a large percentage of Hosts i.e. 3.5 years of Home Hosts were completely overlooked.  What percentage of payments value and numbers were handed out to Experiences hosts with their only one year tenure?

That being after the remaining $200,000 USD has been dished out to them, obviously...?

I've been a host since 2011. When Covid hit I lost nearly a fully booked summer x 2 listings...

Send us some coin??

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Airbnb 

We want to thank all the hosts who used their applications to share their stories with us.

Should we expect to have these stories bombarding us in various guises over the next, forever, and pushed through the media in a not too distant future ? Will they also be clearly identified as paid-for testimonials or not?

Just asking.

Jonathan382
Level 3
Gainesville, FL

This news is devastating to me.

I've been a Superhost for 24 quarters and took a massive financial hit back in March during the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.

I lobbied my members of Congress to support Airbnb in hope that Airbnb would ultimately support me during this time of need. 

I have 6 listings on the platform, all of which are owned and managed by me. I had a full-time handyman and cleaner who I supported as part of my business. I had to let them both go at the start of this month after waiting for the Superhost Relief Fund to actually provide me with something. I was expecting the full amount from the fund.

I contacted Airbnb half a dozen times and was told each time that I was eligible and to be patient. I was expressly told that I would receive an email with instructions and that Airbnb was internally extending their deadline dates.

Who actually received these grants? How were decisions made? There's no transparency whatsoever.

I've been nothing by loyal to Airbnb and have followed their mission...I've hosted thousands of guests and have a five-star rating with 1,187 reviews.

I can't help but feel quite bitter towards Airbnb.

@Jonathan382  It was clearly stated in the criteria for this fund that it was limited to hosts with no more than 2 listings, unless all the listings were at the same address, as with a host who rents out 3 bedrooms in the home where they live. 6 listings would have disqualified you right off the bat.

I was told information to the contrary. I was told that 2 of my 6 listings were eligible.

The language regarding the number of listings was awkward, and it was a question I asked about every time I contacted Airbnb.

@Jonathan382  Yes, much of Airbnb's language is awkward- so much so that it seems purposely designed to obfuscate. And, unfortunately, much of the information hosts are given by CS reps is completely false. Hosts often have to locate an applicable policy and quote it to a CS rep who is telling them that such and such isn't so. They are woefully undertrained. 

It's one reason that I have always communicated with Airnb CS by messaging, rather than phoning. I want a record of what was said so they can't deny it later.

100% a use of ambiguous language by design to protect themselves.

@Jonathan382 it was always very clear that only a few token hosts were going to get this. Have you tried for PPP and EIDL? These are much more likely sources of assistance.

@Lisa723 Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for PPP, and I only received a grand from EIDL. I firmly believed that, based on my lengthy and rather sizable record, that I would have been a priority host. Also, I was expressly told multiple times that an invitation was coming and to remain patient.

I've never felt so let down. What is my loyalty actually worth? Nothing it seems.

@Jonathan382 Bummer. FWIW I got PPP with four listings on two properties and no employees, just 1099 ICs. We file as LLP.