The Term "Bedroom" and Egress Windows in the USA

The Term "Bedroom" and Egress Windows in the USA

I just saw a FB post and response from someone else that may be legal misinformation depending on where you live. I am in Washington State.

I bought a house with a downstairs unit the previous owner intended to use for an Airbnb someday and remodeled accordingly. However, the house was built before current codes (by current I mean at least 20 years ago) and the bedroom windows are not up to code (i.e., egress/fire escape windows). Therefore, these rooms cannot legally be referred to as bedrooms. Hence, not available to book as 3bdm until the windows are installed in a couple of weeks.

The previous owner said that was not a requirement for Airbnb as there only needed to be 2 exits and there were 2 doors on opposite ends so that was good enough. She was wrong. That's what my accountant referred to as bar room advice.

On FB someone was asking for feedback on their newly converted garage. Someone asked if there was an egress window. Someone else said not necessary as long as there was one door. I have no idea where this Airbnb was located.

For people like me who are new and are getting their information from a plethora of sources, for safety and coding information it would be wise to go the extra mile and go straight to the horse's mouth. It might not seem like a big deal until there's a fire and you get sued; or worse yet, someone is actually hurt: or your area decides to start taking issues with Airbnbs and are looking for legit things to hold against those businesses. 

Best to get it right starting out the gate.

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tamara682  "Best to get it right starting out the gate."

Good advice and pertains to a lot of aspects of hosting. For instance, people put up listings without bothering to check whether the terms of their HOA permits subletting or transient guests. Then when they get a cease and desist letter from the HOA, they are shocked and outraged.

Eric6104
Level 2
Seattle, WA

@Tamara682 love it! End of the day, adhere to up to date building code to save yourself from liability.

Btw, would love your opinions in WA Short Term + Corporate rentals (

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

Thank you Eric and I apologize for the delayed response. I would be happy and appreciate joining WA group.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree I am shocked at the number of hosts who don't both to check whether there are any STR restrictions in their area before starting their STR business or don't check on any restrictions/regulations in terms of bringing their property up to standard for commercial lets @Tamara682