The attitude of some guests!

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

The attitude of some guests!

Hi all, I was being rather nosey and wondered where a prospective guest who eventually went elsewhere, had actually stayed.  I found out easily - no problem, just interested - then I couldn't help but read the top review left to that host by their guest.  I couldn't believe what I was reading.

The guest stated that everything was fine and then went on to comment that they always look for very cheap accommodation, usually under £20 per night because, afterall, this was airbnb and was only 'someones spare room' and 'a bed for the night'.  This was not a hotel and was therefore not entitled to charge hotel prices.  He went on to say that too many places in our area charge too much but if you were charged more, then you should stay in a hotel.

I always thought that a hotel was 'a bed for the night'!  I must say that when I read the comments by this guest about it being 'only airbnb and someones spare room'  I felt insulted.

I can only speak for myself but I take great pride in presenting a clean, comfortable room and do my utmost to give our guests the best experience I can.  The opinion of this guest seems to be that airbnb is no more than a cheap doss house.  I wonder how many others out there share this view.

I think I shall continue to charge more to discourage people who think along those lines.  Sorry for rant... I just felt so angry.

21 Replies 21
Karsten0
Level 10
Heidelberg, Germany

@Sharon114 Dear Sharon,

I absolutely agree! This particular guest has no idea how much is involved in offering a room or flat on airbnb. Other than hotels, we mostly do all the work ourselves and this includes communicating, preparing, cleaning, washing, waiting, explaining and much more!

I wish that such guests could be filtered better by publishing their star ratings just like ours!

Great Idea!!

Carla140
Level 2
Jamison, PA

I feel your pain. I had wonderful experiences all summer until Labor Day Weekend. The final guest showed up unannounced an hour before check in. My friend cleaned the entire condo, but hopped in the shower then was going to clean it. They literally threw her out then called me to complain the bathroom was not clean. (Btw, they tried to cancel but decided not to due to I have strict cancellation policy). My mom was next door and took care of the bathroom which was not that bad as my friend was only there for one night. My apartment is always immaculate and all my reviews reflect that (this friend has cleaned in the past for me). I don't think people always understand this is our home and we are sharing it. I understand sometimes people drive far and have food with them but every guest had always reached out to me and asked if they could come early to grab the beach tags and put the food in the fridge while we finish cleaning. We always accommodate, but a phone call is just good manners and so is respecting check in time.

We often have guests that arrive early due to flight schedules etc. we let them leave their bags but ask them to leave until check-in time (unless everything is ready). This is a reasonable expectation and I suggest you include this information in your listing. This will put the responsibility on the guest and prevent you from not being able to clean.
Karen77
Level 10
Montrose, CO

The bulk of my guests (70 and counting) have been fabulous but the few challenges I've faced haven't been bad guests but entitled ones and those who think Airbnb is just a cheap alternative to a motel/hotel.   When I think back over my guests--I hate to say this--it's fairly well to do couples in late middle age or early retirement who expect me to offer them a penthouse suite in a five star hotel.  

PS. After my most recent unpleasant privileged guest, I'm thinking of doing better screening of couples in their 50s and 60s.   I love adventurers and open hearted guests but the ones who come with higher than reasonable expectations suck all my hosting joy out of the air.  

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Ouch!  I am 60 and my hubby is 62 so I guess we are in your firing line.  We have had guests of all ages and they have been great.  I do know what you mean about some older couples though.  One wife kept calling me 'love' in a rather patronising - your just the help - kind of way.  They didn't leave a review either.

same happends to me... i love to receve people, show them the store, the walk paths in the mountain, i love to help them with their shopping or to satisfiy their needs (if i can). But there are some people that are agresive or too exigent or they feel the place is not on their level...  so exausting

Hey Karen, i couldnt agree more with you about older guests expecting much more.  

I had a couple in their 50s and 60s and they were always looking around the house.  

They stayed for a months and didnt really go out much.  They spent their time in the studioand  always looking forsomething to complain about.  

That was the first one in that age range. 

And i tried to do everything i could to make them feel better.  

But now i have another couple well into their 70s and they are now also complaining about little things.  But now i stood up and told them in a nice respectful way...   that  if they didnt feel good with their place i would be more then happy to give them a refund and part ways.  

Now i have learned  that you cant please everyone and dont let anyone bother you with little things.  

I think that is just THOSE guests, not an age thing. I am presently having the loveliest guests, mid 70s. Had coffee with them yesterday and will do so again tomorrow. They are totally adorable and call me daaarling but not in a bad way. You don't have to be demanding just because you get older! Or is that something we all can lkook forward to, a bit of age related being demanding? Thinkof it more a the really demanding younger people having aged. Same people, different age. Young princess - old princess.

Yes attitude can ruin your day, but I just had and older couple for 3 weeks. They were the best gust ever, the wife even helped clean.  So it isn't always the age but more of what may be happening in life it self. 

you explanaation of the guest profile is so perfect! I agree. They expect 7 star facilities in a home at 10 euros!!!!!

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Blinks.

Don't shoot me but I think of Airbnb as a cheap alternative to a hotel. Isn't that what it is when you boil it down?

And I'm grateful for it ... Both as a host and as a guest. I'm currently on a 4 month trip that I could never do if it wasn't for Airbnb. Paid for by money I earned as a host and going further than I could hope due to fellow hosts accommodation.

Ok I'll leave now and close the door behind me 🙂
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

You always make my smile 🙂

You are right of course about a lot of us being cheaper than a hotel but that doesn't mean that we put in any less work to provide the best accommodation that we can.  It is a pity that some guests do not appreciate the money we are saving them and often have unrealistic expectations.