The bedding usage conundrum

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The bedding usage conundrum

We have two queen beds in our listing with two identical mattresses purchased at the same time. They both have extra blankets and the same sheets for ease of washing/making them up. Both are platform beds on iron frames. Both have the same pillows.  The only difference between the beds is the comforters/quilts.

Often we get a couple or even a single person booking where they have used both beds in a short weekend stay. Initially, my husband thought this meant they had extra guests staying. In one case this proved to be true but in others, no, it's just the couple or single person.  I can imagine that there are couples who sleep separately due to snoring or other issues. Recently there was a very young newlywed duo who slept in both beds which seemed not to fit that profile (though maybe this is my assumption.)

We tell our cleaners what to expect when they go in-- pets, larger groups,  small kids who stayed, etc., so that they can plan how long it might take. Changing and laundering two sets of bedding when they are expecting one does add time to turnover that our cleaners are not prepared for. Does anyone have a similar situation with multiple beds being used by a single or couple? Do you say anything to guests? 

33 Replies 33
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If it's a single person I'd be tempted to lock one of the bedrooms. I can't imagine why couples would want to swap beds (partners, maybe), but this is a harder nut to crack, unless you ask how many beds they need made up, @Laura2592?

If the listing shows 2 bedrooms, that's what you're contractually obligated to provide. Laura would need to make 3 listings: Bedroom A, Bedroom B, Both Bedrooms if she wants to block off some spaces.

@Laura2592 's listing states she rents the entire place so why would she close one of the bedrooms? 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 @Gordon0 yes this happens all the time. I have mostly surrendered, since Airbnb has no way to charge per bed. My base price is now for the maximum number of adults who can fit in all the beds and I assume all of them will be used regardless of guest count. Extra person fees only kick in for guest counts that will clearly require use of futon/sofa-beds. Too bad for guests who don't actually use all the beds, but that's life.

It's pretty much impossible to tell people, yes you have booked a space with three beds but you can only use one of them.

It's not impossible. I do it all the time. So far, my strategy has worked 100% of the time. If you don't ask, you shall not receive. 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Airbnb's setup is to charge by the person, not the bed, so I think it's best to work within that system.

Some groups use amenities/consumables much more than others, whether that's coffee, TP, towels, or extra blankets. Other groups use none of those things. Using extra beds is kind of the same.

If it really bugs you, I'd set up additional listings so you can sell a single-room to smaller groups and lock off the second. We considered that, but found it too fussy. I charge and prep for a max of 4 guests in 3 beds, with the expectation they'll all be used. It's a happy surprise if they aren't.

The only thing I'd mention to guests is that both beds are identical (if you think the extra use is due to them trying out beds like goldilocks). I wouldn't mention anything about what beds I expected them to sleep in, or that I hoped they'd only use one.

@Allison2 I tried the multiple listings approach last year, and it was an abject failure. Bookings dropped off a cliff; guests who did contact me were confused about whether they would be sharing the space. So now I do the same as you.

@Lisa723 Good to hear that feedback! Yeah, when I travel as a guest I look at what other listings a host has (since I prefer a 1-2 listing house over a hostel-type setup). It's really hard to tell what's going on when 2-3 listings tie back to a single space.

I could see doing differently in very large homes, but changing an extra bed every so often is preferable to all the angst and over-engineering other solutions would require.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I mean, if your guests booked the entire home, then they should be free to use it as they please.  It's not our place to judge why couples may want to sleep alone - there are a myriad of reasons and I'm not sure why it matters.  If you don't want guests using specific rooms, lock them or don't list them in your profile.  Your cleaners should work on the assumption that all beds have been used, and plan accordingly.  That way it won't matter - and if they're done earlier than expected, then great! They can move on to the next.

I agree. I'd find it rude if someone locked one of the bedrooms when I book the entire place. 

@Danielle476  you are right, but my cleaner is a older neighbor who really does this for a very low cost. I try to make sure she knows the basics of what she might encounter going in. It takes a good hour extra to do an additional load of laundry and dry it. I understand that she would want to schedule accordingly. 

Maybe you should have some extra bedding  that can be switched out with the used linens when needed, and have her launder everything once every other clean?  That way she'd know what to expect.  No disrespect intended, but it sounds like you're trying to have it both ways - you want to save money with your cleaner, so you expect your guests to pay for an entire listing but not use some of the amenities listed in  your profile.  I understand that it's not always 'convenient', but that's kind of part & parcel with the business.

Sure, they are entitled since they paid for it, but this is Airbnb and most guests are happy to to make the life of the host easier as we do for them. If you simply ask in a tactful way, like I try do, you get very helpful guests. It has worked for me 100% of the time.

Juan63

How do you tactfully do this? We have a new listing, a house with 6 beds, and I'm just trying to navigate how to avoid doing 6 beds if only one or two guests stay. Thanks so much.

I was considering placing a sign on all the beds I'd expect guests to not stay in that says if you use this bed, place this on the nightstand so we ensure bedding is swapped out for our next guests, but I cannot figure out how to do it tactfully without seeming lazy somehow.