The bedding usage conundrum

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The bedding usage conundrum

We have two queen beds in our listing with two identical mattresses purchased at the same time. They both have extra blankets and the same sheets for ease of washing/making them up. Both are platform beds on iron frames. Both have the same pillows.  The only difference between the beds is the comforters/quilts.

Often we get a couple or even a single person booking where they have used both beds in a short weekend stay. Initially, my husband thought this meant they had extra guests staying. In one case this proved to be true but in others, no, it's just the couple or single person.  I can imagine that there are couples who sleep separately due to snoring or other issues. Recently there was a very young newlywed duo who slept in both beds which seemed not to fit that profile (though maybe this is my assumption.)

We tell our cleaners what to expect when they go in-- pets, larger groups,  small kids who stayed, etc., so that they can plan how long it might take. Changing and laundering two sets of bedding when they are expecting one does add time to turnover that our cleaners are not prepared for. Does anyone have a similar situation with multiple beds being used by a single or couple? Do you say anything to guests? 

33 Replies 33

@Laura2592 

I think I have a pretty simple solution to your issue. Your ratings are fantastic your home looks beautiful. And I think that my suggestion would work perfectly well and get you away from your conundrum.

Think of a way to reword your listing. The issue is that if a person is solo or a couple you only want them to use one bed in one bedroom during their stay. That's not asking a lot, that's common sense.

Therefore how I would rent out my place by letting people know they are booking for 1 queen size bed in one room downstairs. If they want to add the second upstairs bedroom and bed, they need to book for a total of 4 guests. That will cover being aware that they plan to use both and your housekeeper is apprised. You get the additional fee as they get the additional use of the entire house. I do not think that this would in any way reflect negatively on their stay and I would keep that upstairs bedroom locked and unavailable until and unless the guest request and pays for the use of it.

The other option would be to just mention to them to only use one bedroom but if you give them access to the second upstairs bedroom Loft I don't think you'll be able to get them to comply. Most people would understand that if they are using the house with two bedrooms for only two people they should pay the 4-person price.

Hi @Juan63 

as you didnt tag me I had no idea you had commented on my post I only found it by accident!

It's never occurred to me to ask guests which bedroom they want ( if there is only 1 or 2 bedrroms needed) It's an absolute no brainer.

If its just one bed, the there's only 1 bedroom upstairs with a king bed and an ensuite place views that look straight out over the ocean.  Teh kitchen, lounge, living areas and a 10m x 3m deck are right outside the bedroom door - no one has EVER said they would prefer to have a bedroom without the ensuite...

The  3 remaining bedrooms are downstairs with a shared bathroom and toilet. All have access to a second 10m x 3 m deck, all have ocean views

one of them  is one much larger than the other two - with a full  queen bed.  I just automatically make that the second room.

If there's a third bedroom needed I select the one with wardrobes and ceiling fan - the fourth bedroom is by far the smallest and has no ceiling fan or built in robe, so it's a no brainer really.

Occasionally I have asked if someone would prefer bedroom 4 ( closest to bathroom but smallest) over bedroom 3, but other than that it's really very straightforward.

the only real difference is the size of the room and bedrooms 3 and 4 have a small queen which can be spilt into 2 singles instead of a standard queen.  IF there are 2 singles required, then that of necessity dictates which rooms need to be utilised...

When they're all made up as queens adn all are being used, there is never really any argument amongst guests about the 3 downstairs rooms as they're all very alike - the only argument is who will get the upstairs master with ensuite...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've stayed in similar listings, @Rowena29, including a five-bedder in Barcelona when there were only three of us. I didn't look for/take offence. Yes, I booked the whole place, but didn't expect to sleep in every bed just because I could or felt 'entitled' to.

If you see the good in people and communicate well, things generally turn out well.  

Couldn't agree more @Gordon0 

Actually I LIKE it when the rooms are locked off -  I have  3 boys and I could just imagine one of them lying down on an extra bed, just because it was there.   In some hotels we've stayed at - we've been upgraded to a larger place with extra rooms, but been told if the extra bed is slept in, we'll be charged for it pp per night for the entire stay.  I ask for it to be locked off so there is no chance of this occurring.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.        Perhaps I"m just terribly reasonable? 🙂 🙂