The bedding usage conundrum

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The bedding usage conundrum

We have two queen beds in our listing with two identical mattresses purchased at the same time. They both have extra blankets and the same sheets for ease of washing/making them up. Both are platform beds on iron frames. Both have the same pillows.  The only difference between the beds is the comforters/quilts.

Often we get a couple or even a single person booking where they have used both beds in a short weekend stay. Initially, my husband thought this meant they had extra guests staying. In one case this proved to be true but in others, no, it's just the couple or single person.  I can imagine that there are couples who sleep separately due to snoring or other issues. Recently there was a very young newlywed duo who slept in both beds which seemed not to fit that profile (though maybe this is my assumption.)

We tell our cleaners what to expect when they go in-- pets, larger groups,  small kids who stayed, etc., so that they can plan how long it might take. Changing and laundering two sets of bedding when they are expecting one does add time to turnover that our cleaners are not prepared for. Does anyone have a similar situation with multiple beds being used by a single or couple? Do you say anything to guests? 

33 Replies 33
Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

My airbnb cabin has 2 bedrooms and 2 beds.  I also have a sleeper loveseat and a queen size air mattress so it can sleep 6 people max.  I once had an older couple book the entire cabin for four days.  They used every offered bed selection in the cabin.  I found it amusing.   They said they felt like newlyweds and had to try them all out just for fun.  Shortly after that, I started a separate listing at a lesser price for just the downstairs accommodations, which alleviated all of the beds being used at one time.  I do agree with others though - if you rent the entire place at one time, you cannot prevent them from using any and all beds if they wish to do so.

We have a similar situation, our listing has three bedrooms and invariably, no matter how many people book; one couple or a family of six, all the beds get slept in. We live upstairs so I know that it is not extra guests, and I do the cleaning. 
There is no way I would lock a room, they are all paying the same rate, so if they want to mess up all the beds, have at it!

I was slightly annoyed at first and somewhat perplexed, but now I simply accept it.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 could you have double the amount of bedding available so that she could replace everything and then take home the washing to do at her leisure? rather than waiting on it...

btw, we've had this exact convo several times before if the search will let you find it. A common answer is fully make up the beds they will need and just put a coverlet on the unneeded bed. If there are extra linens left in a cupboard then if they really just have to use an extra bed they'll need to go thru the effort to make it. Also common is price the place for full use of all normal beds and only kick in extra guest fees when you jump up to air mattresses, futons, couch beds....

@Kelly149I think she might lose her mind if I asked her to use her resources to wash sheets at her house! We do have multiple sets of bedding for each bed.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I don't know if you live in or near your unit, but you could potentially launder the extra bedding yourself so your cleaner only has to launder the bedding for one unit when a couple or single person stays.

My cleaner has a hissy fit over this-she'll ask me-how many people booked? why did they use both beds if it's just one person? She cleans for me at a really inexpensive rate, so I told her that I would launder the bedding on the other bed myself (I have plenty of extra sheets and comforters).

@Maia29our cleaners might be related 🙂 Mine gets very anxious if I don't give her a heads up about any potentially unusual cleaning situations. She really gets annoyed if there is a single person or a couple staying and she has to wash extra sheets. We don't live close enough to make taking them home feasible.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Laura2592  I am always so happy when I see that only one of our three beds has been used! 

We also have two identical beds with identical bedding.

This is what I have started to do: if it's a booking for one or for a couple, I tuck this in my welcome message ....no need to play Goldilocks...the beds are the exactly the same. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Really? You can't think of any reason a young honeymooning couple would use both beds? They probably did it on the kitchen table and the couch and maybe even up against the washing machine, too:-) Variety being the spice of life and all. 

@Sarah977there's no variety--- its the same bed for all practical purposes. I really don't want to think about what they did where...

@Laura2592  It's the same bed but in a different place. That's where the variety comes in.

Hard to know why people try out all the beds, really. Maybe they like the way the afternoon light comes into one bedroom as opposed to a bedroom that gets the morning light. Maybe one person is watching a movie in one bedroom and the other wants to take a nap and goes to lie down in the other. Maybe they convince themselves that one bed is more comfy than the other, even though they are actually identical. 

My grown daughter came to visit and stay and she was ready for bed early after a long trip. I told her she'd have to wait a few minutes because I needed to change the sheets, as I hadn't gotten around to it since my guest had left the day before. She said it didn't matter, she was really tired, and just went and got into bed with the used sheets from a total stranger. Yet she had a big freak-out when I used her razor that was in the shower to shave my legs, telling me it was unhygenic. 

People are really hard to figure out sometimes, even the ones you know.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I have a simple solution that has worked 100% of the time. When I send my usual message to my guest on the morning of their stay, I simply ask them, " If you only require one room for your stay, please pick your favorite room and leave the other room unoccupied. We would really appreciate it." The guests always reply with a nice message and the bedroom is left alone.

@Juan63has anyone ever complained about that? I like your approach.

Never! Our bedding is ironed and bright white. Unnecessary room flips set us back at least 30 minutes.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Laura2592 

I have a house that sleeps 8, but I start my base price at 2.  I have 4 bedrooms.

I say in the listing and in the house rules, and they "what's available section" that the whole house is free for them to use,  but that depending on the number of guests, some bedrooms may be locked off to help 'minimise excess linen charges" for the guests.

I also ask the guests in advance how they want the bedrooms set up. So if two book and they are two co workers for example and they ask for 2 rooms, that's absolutely fine, I'll have 2 rooms open.  I think getting the guests to nominate how they want things up front also helps - some actually say things like "we wont' need the other 2 rooms"

I'm not a seasoned traveller but I have stayed in a number of other airbnb's that did this, and I found it perfectly acceptable as a guest ( and I was a guest long before I was a host).  Vacation stays and units in apartments also often do this in my experience. I've only travelled in Australia, the UK, a bit of Europe and that was standard everywhere I went.

I have been doing this as a host for over 18 months and no one has ever complained, but I make sure it is very clear to people who are only booking for a couple ( 1 room)  - I might say in the post booking message something like "I normally lock off the unnecessary bedrooms, but I'll leave one unlocked , so you can still get access to the second downstairs deck in case you would like to use it.  That way it looks more like I am offering something extra, rather than withdrawing something.  

I can't say I  personally agree with the other voices here saying you must give all access if you have listed the whole house. I think so long as you cover yourself very clearly in your listing and communication  and the guest does not get any unexpected surprises,  all should be well.  

The other option is to leave the "spare" bed with a base pack of a protector and a cheap coverlet so it looks tidy so it can still be laid on, but does not invite sleeping in.  I never have beds made up with linens until the day before a stay, and then only the ones that will be being used  - too much potentially to go wrong.

Just my opinion

I like your overall take on this situation, I use similar tactics. My only opposition is the fact that you pick what rooms are locked. I'd rather give the guest the choice on which bedroom they want.