The best pets you have had!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

The best pets you have had!

@Lizzie, A few weeks ago you started a thread re pets and how they interact with us....but I cannot find that thread any more!

So, I would just like to throw this out there. We have a lovely Aussie Shepherd dog.....'Betts', and host and guests find her a joy!

But our last dog was the love of our life...his name was Jetti! Jetti was an Akita, Border Collie cross so he looked like a big black and white Husky!

When we moved into Mt Barker the first time we met out neighbour, Jetti bowled up to him and the neighbour Graeme said in a defensive way..."Dogs and I don't get on"! Graeme came to love that dog and Jetti loved Graeme too.

When he died I had to make some sort of statement, I had to close the book on Jetti's life so I posted this video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGPQp9pF8o

It sort of summed up our life with this wonderful animal.

Excuse the lousy piano but I needed to get it off my chest and it was the best I could come up with on the spur of the moment!

Cheers.....Rob

5 Replies 5
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Robin4 Man I wish I could play a lousy piano .

A very fitting tribute and brought a tear to my eye as I lost my Dobie Q back in June to a nasty hereditary disease. He was the gentlest dog ever

Our dogs when they go take a piece of our hearts with them, but not all the heart as they leave us some for our next dog. 😉  and yes I had to get another dog as Sophie my other rescue became so depressed without him.  I found Nic ( a blind Hunterway)  😉 and brought him up from the South Island. He has fitted in very well and no sight doesn’t bother him in the slightest:)  he loves going for walks with the guests Nic.Nic.

Q.Q.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Robin4I'm not usually one for sentimental sayings, but I absolutely love this: 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enought, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

I'm lucky enough to still have both of my dogs, the only two I've ever had, but I can't imagine how difficult it will be to say goodbye to them. Your tribute to Jetti is lovely, and I don't think that anyone could find any fault with your piano playing!

Christopher305
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

a lot of guests love pets, I had a lot of guest came to use because I got a dog and a cat. but i also had 1 guest left us because of my playful dog. A bit of double edge sword really lol. But I am glad to see you have lovely animals too.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Robin4 Here is my heart and joy, Ms Von Awesum. An amazing protector and incredible temperament.

She is AKC registered and she is so smart. She responds to voice, hand and sound commands. 93910FC7-5C1A-4478-AD39-4394A11566B4.jpeg

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rene-and-Zac0 ....modest into the bargain, I note!!

Rene, a pet just loves you unconditionaly. There was a joke that went around here a few years ago...

'Lock your wife and your dog in the garage for an hour and when you return, see who is pleased to see you!'

Our current hound 'Betts' is equally as lovable, but her character is entirely different to Jetti.....

DSCN1528.jpg

As you can see, she also is a stickler for modesty!

As you can also see she is a neat looking dog, she doesn't have slobbery jowls or stained weepy eyes, she keeps her appearance reasonably clean!

But she shows the most amazing emotion Rene!

Most times if we were going out she would come with us, but that is not always possible. She would see us preparing to depart and she would be up to the back door of the car, all good to go.

I would say to her.."No Betts. not tonight" and we would leave with her behind the wire gate as she watched us go.

Now if we were away for an hour or more, she was fine, when we come up the drive there she is with the tail wagging, the welcoming committee!

But on occasions we would get half a Kilopmetre for home and Ade would say she forgot her glasses, her phone, something important and I would turn around and within a couple of minutes be home again.

As I go up to the gate Betts face is all wet, she is crying....she has had seperation anxiety!

I have told our local vet this and his response is...'Nah, she must have slopped her drink bowl' but l swear it is true....it has happened dozens of times and only happens when she is coming to grips with being left behind!

Amazingly nearly all our guests make mention of Betts in their reviews and the comments are all positive, even from non dog lovers.

I wish you and Ms Von Awesum a long and happy partnership!

Cheers.....Rob