The best things in life happen by chance

Vinícius0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Porto Alegre, Brazil

The best things in life happen by chance

It was the year 2014; amidst political protests shaking Brazil, the World Cup would finally begin.

Although I am an ardent football fan, I never thought this event would have any impact on my life apart from some cool games and parties in my city.

Porto Alegre is a quiet city in the south of Brazil; although it has 1.5 million inhabitants, it can be considered quiet because of the countryside feel and the tranquillity that persists in many neighbourhoods. It is not a place where you see many foreigners and, therefore, this was an event that brought many expectations.

I was a simple law student and trainee in a legal firm at that time, I was still living with my parents, when I thought: "how can I make some money from all this?” The idea of hosting tourists was the first to come to mind.

Without ever having heard of any service of this kind - I always stayed in hostels when I travelled - I typed into Google something like "how to host people in your home". The site at the very top looked interesting - AIRBNB.

To the horror of my friends and relatives, I decided it would be a good idea to let strangers into my house and to sleep in the next room - and even in my own bed. And my parents, to my own surprise, agreed with the idea. 

Then came a group of two Uruguayan couples, travelling from Montevideo to Porto Alegre in an old Ford Ka, and then came Brazilians and Peruvians.

To my friends' amazement, none of the terrible predictions that my house would be ransacked, destroyed or that I would be stabbed at night came true. So why not continue hosting after the World Cup?

This was the wisest decision of my life; before long, I was watching my mother animatedly chatting to a Colombian about movies, to an Australian girl crying with a broken heart or to a family from Wales celebrating their eldest daughter's wedding - in the living room of my own home - become common and expected situations.

After 6 years and more than 400 bookings, there are dozens of good stories to tell and not a single problem to report. The truth is that bad news sells more, but most people are good and honest.

Airbnb's slogan is "belong anywhere". The most obvious idea is to think that it is about the guest belonging anywhere when they travel and are warmly welcomed by an unknown host. Obviously this is true, but I have no questions, every host feels belonging to the place from which that guest comes from.

In the following years I quit law, started advertising other properties of mine, became co-host for several people, became an Expert and now I am the Portuguese-language representative of Airbnb hosts on the Host Advisory Board. I think and live the Airbnb world from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep. It was the best thing that ever happened in my life and, believe it or not, it happened almost by chance.

I want all hosts to be able to get to know me and feel free to contact me whenever needed. I am no one special, but a simple host who is still living the normal day to day life of our trade, with all the problems and joys that it brings.

I'm a  huge supporter of the Airbnb brand - I understand and respect hosts who work with other platforms, but that's not my case - and I believe the company should be a partner and supporter of all hosts. Our business depends on the platform and theirs depends on there being hosts willing and happy to open their properties, but safe in the knowledge that they will have all the support they need.

The year 2020 was the most difficult year of our lives and, it seems, 2021 will not be easy either, but I am sure we will come out stronger than ever.

A hug to all the hosts, from this colleague who hopes to represent them well!

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-01 at 15.38.47 (1).jpeg

Vinicius De Franceschi

- Airbnb Superhost in Porto Alegre, Brazil 

- Airbnb Expert 

- Airbnb Host Advisory Board Member 

40 Replies 40

Vinícius0
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Thank you @Bevan10 !

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

Muito bom ouvir a opinião de cada um !!

Vinícius0
Porto Alegre, Brazil

A ideia é que os anfitriões sejam sempre ouvidos @Loni56 !

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

And a hug to you too @Vinícius0 .

I have been avoiding this thread since it mentioned football...!!

So glad I looked in. And YAY welcome to your new situation as a HAB member. I'm so enthusiastic about this. You have been well selected and will I'm sure be a fab Rep on our behalves taking forward prioritised issues .

Absolutely fantastic and thanks for introducing yourself xxxxxxxxxxxxx

With love from Mary

Another Airbnb enthusiast!!!!!

Vinícius0
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Hi @Mary996 !

It's good to see an Airbnb enthusiast, as I am myself one before anything else.

Already working to make the best for hosts all around the world!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Vinícius0 , Sounds like a great journey and well told, welcome to the Home of Modern Day Inn Keepers from the boonies to the big city and everything in between.   I think most of the participants here truly want to love Airbnb as much as you do, many of us have experienced the wonder of what it could be before they took some turns that shook our enthusiasm.  I believe the Re-HAB could be of great benefit to the hosting community but suspect that it will actually be allowed to address the big issues that we all are being confronted by.   

One of the biggest being a Customer Service desk that is a bit like rolling dice, slowly, like watching cement harden  (without the possibility of huge payout). Airbnb needs to become host centric again and leave the guest care to us, that's what we do best and they are crippling hosts with too many strings, gizmos and broken promises.  Their theme seems to be "I'm sorry", i find when people are sorry too often, it means they suck at their jobs.   Im rarely in the position that I have to say Im sorry as a host cause after 500 or so bookings, we have got our stuff together at Bearpath Lodging and (thats how we get 5 * reviews).   I have been apologizing too much lately for Airbnb foul-up's and losing money over them as well, so many other hosts here have had the same experience, I guess thats why the HAB was created.   Please do keep us posted on the goals and successes of your group, we are very interested as well as highly invested in your success!  Stay well, JR

Vinícius0
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Hi @Melodie-And-John0 !

Customer support is something important to me - beyond a HAB member, I'm a community Expert.

And I guarantee this is a priority to Airbnb as well.

@Vinícius0 "And I guarantee this is a priority to Airbnb as well."

When?

At least half the posts on this forum, from both hosts and guests, concern abyssmal customer support. Are you not aware of this?

Awesome @Vinícius0 , glad we agree that the best  Customer support is the only way our Customers (Guests) and Airbnbs Customers (Hosts) can be treated as they request and deserve, #1, A+, Super and Special. 

This may sound like a silly question but what may I ask is a Community Expert?  JR

Hi Vinicius, hi other fellow hosts, I appreciate this. Have a nice day, and best wishes for resuming slowly, safely but happily Airbnb hosting after the great pandemic dip 2020/2021.

During the pandemic, I stopped synced hosting on another also supposed renowned platform because it gave only fake reservations with untrue credit card payments. Just true. I am a Superhost and Community Expert and dislike flakey practices. Flakiness is a good thing for pie crusts, but not for our scalps. Airbnb is really very nice. Cheers and season greetings from Cusco, Peru, Alfons & Mery