The coded language of a review

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The coded language of a review

I struggle with reviews. I try to be as honest as possible without being unkind. I have noticed that there are a lot of 5 stars out there for guests I would not have given 5 stars to. Digging deeper, there seems to be some common themes and coded language to warn other hosts that there might be issues belying the 5 stars. No one wants to come right out and say that this person was painful to deal with.

For example a recent guest emailed me 20 times or more per day of his stay with questions about very pedantic things. The sink made a gurgling noise. A light bulb in a decorative lamp went out. One remote only has one battery. He counted the light switches and can't figure out what one does. We addressed all of these concerns but it didn't stop until my husband took over communication. He responded immediately to that and the masses of emails halted. On his reviews this guest is described as "extremely communicative." When I write mine, I  would like to add that he "responded well to my husband" and that he may do better with an onsite host (we aren't.) 

Another guest had expectations for kitchenware we could not meet. He let us know our brand new Amazon delivered set was no match for what he expected. His reviews when I looked (too late, he was an early guest and I was still learning) said things like "this guest has a very high standard" and "this guest described himself as a chef and enjoys a restaurant style kitchen." Likewise one guest was very upset we didn't provide a lemon zester in our normal kitchenware (we had to go get one, she was having a literal melt down.)  Nothing in her reviews addressed that specifically but did say "XX has some quirks about what she needs during her stay. Best to communicate with her beforehand."

Another couple booked our place and brought in other overnight guests without paying. She sent us pics of the families standing on our porch. Her ratings from other hosts (all in our area) said things like "this guest likes to visit with family in the area." Or "so and so visited our place to be closer to her family in the area." I would have appreciated a "so and so had her family stay with her." It was obvious when we sent her the charges afterwards for the number of guests that she had done this before.

What have you said about guests in reviews that you meant as a warning to other hosts? Have you come right out with it or somewhat coded your responses?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Assata0 

Most people here will tell you to just call it as it is, and they are right you can't really dress up a rough neighbourhood but Assata, if you want to have a go at it, you could try from one of two way.

If you are a host speaking of your own property in the listing description...

"The neighbourhood has a rather eclectic feel to it!"

I love that word, Eclectic is a great word, it covers a multitude of sins!

"The neighbourhood is possibly a bit left of centre!" 

Meaning all is not what it may seem!

"You will adore the complex mix of society here" 

And if you are speaking as a guest leaving a review.......

"Every neighbourhood has it's character, this one maybe a bit more than most!" 

" Charm and sophistication are something that escaped this part of town" 

And if you want to get your point across a bit more bluntly, how about one of these.

"Your vehicle may be best left in a secure parking station!" 

???????

"A $10 note wouldn't last long on the ground in this neighbourhood!" 

"You would want to keep a tight grip on your purse/wallet in this part of town!"

There should be something there for any scenario!

Cheers.......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

151 Replies 151

Personally I love the phrase, “guest is better suited to a hotel”, its says in 7 words all I need to know to determine this guest is not a member or a good fit for our Airbnb “Home Share Community”!  (I also use this 3 word phrase in all my 4 & 5 star reviews. Example: “A lovely new addition to our “Airbnb Home Share community”. Or,  An asset to our “Airbnb Home Share community”.  

It’s a great reminder to the guest that this is ‘home sharing’ not a corporate commercial enterprise.

I’ve used ‘home sharing’ in the private review, under applicable circumstances, letting them know how they were less than desirable: “While  you are new to the Airbnb Home Share community” I believe you will be a great addition to our community moving forward ”

We as hosts often forget that Airbnb originated and still is “Home  

Sharing”.  You may not live on the property you’re  sharing  but it’s one of your most valuable assets and every guest needs to be held accountable when they are disrespectful in ‘your’ home!

PS,  I have become much more honest in my reviews over the years because guests have become much more difficult and disrespectful.  

We’ve done ourselves a huge  injustice by letting sub standard guests believe they are worthy of 5 stars.  I’m more interested in protecting their next host than their feelings.

I like to use the code word, “pleasant” to describe a less than 5 star experience.  When I have a fantastic guest I go overboard in singing their praises.

totally agree : "guests have become much more difficult and disrespectful.  "!!!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gabriella40 

It's great that you have become more honest in your reviews and I like your method of reminding guests about the home share community. However, I think "pleasant" is really too coded. I would have no idea this meant something negative, although I guess it depends on the context and if it was obviously stated in a sarcastic way.

@Gabriella40  I love your comments, but admit that I am fairly soft on guests. @Laura2592 Right now I am terrified of reviewing a guest at all. Here's why: I scrubbed and disinfected a 3-bed, two-storey countryside house for a 39 day stay for a family of 4. They were super complimentary on arrival. Next day, they left: husband is an arachnophobe and they found 4 or 5 daddy-long-legs here and there. I take responsibility for that. I know people don't like spiders. But as a host of 3 consistently well-reviewed properties since 2014, I didn't expect Airbnb to give almost 100% back to the guests (spiders are "vermin", spiders were conflagrated with Covid19 (NO relevance to spiders!), and she was a member since July 2020 with no reviews). Call me a fool but I thought Airbnb would give me some support. Nope. The fact that the guests said nothing to me about a phobia meant nothing. Airbnb even reimbursed the cleaning fee (I spent 7 hours cleaning, plus the laundry tab, plus the fresh flowers, bit of food in the fridge, and a final disinfecting spray as I left the place a few hours before they arrived.) Now, if she sees that I left a review - and I'd like to warn other hosts of the phobia - she will destroy me with a 1* rating. I've already lost over Eur 1,400 (whereas she paid 50% of 1 night stay), and can't afford my rating to plummet over some adult who outright refused to take any responsibility for their own lack of communication, nor accept any of our offers of help.  I'm snookered on this one, I have to keep my mouth shut and do what feels like a dis-service to other hosts because the risk is too great for me.

@Pam81 This is when you review at the very last second. That way by the time the guest gets the trigger that you left a review, it will be too late and the review period will be over.

@Pam81  you can't control nature. If your listing is rural, there are things that come along with that. We have owls, snakes, foxes, skunks, opossum, rabbits, stray cats and chickens that wander into our yard or live on the property full time. Spiders and insects are part of the deal. Our name is "Firefly Cottage" so yes, we have insects a plenty. We treat for pests but finding a spider in the house? The guest is on their own. It happens especially when they leave doors open. .

If this guest had complained to me, I would have said "Oh I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately spiders are part of life in the country. Perhaps I can call Airbnb and they can help you to find a more suitable reservation. I don't want any of my guests to be unhappy."

As a new host, two tips. 1. Don't accept long term stays right off the bat. One review can sink you and you have no recourse. People do target new listings to pull shenanigans. Shorter stays will allow you to build up your rating and you can be sure poor guests will be gone soon.  2. If you have not done so, alter your listing to say its a RURAL RETREAT and there is wildlife on the premises. You may even want to update your house rules to say something like "Though our space is cleaned very thoroughly, insects can make their way into the house. They are attracted to light. Please be mindful of leaving doors and windows open. We are unable to manage Mother Nature without guest cooperation."

As @Emilia42  you should absolutely leave a review at the last possible second. It should go something like this:

So and so were friendly and we enjoyed having them. We were disappointed that they did not contact us about an issue with an insect in the house and therefore felt communication could have been better. They will be great guests for other hosts who live in environments without insects, but they are not a fit for our space. 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Laura2592 

I am learning how to more specific in my reviews and I really encourage/beg any other hosts to please be specific in their experience with a guest.  

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emily487 Me too, I started off being cryptic, following the leads of others, but now if I have a bad guest, I am specific, sticking to facts, what they did, rather than interpretation of character/motives.

The exception is, if I think someone was behaving oddly because of a mental health issue, I can't come out  & say that, so I've been known to hint eg "An engaging young man who I really warmed to; I  enjoyed  our chats & XXX's wealth of knowledge on every topic under the sun!"

And there was another exception, when a New Yorker living in a big city in the north of England came to stay 1 night, supposedly washed out of his wild camp site...... When I asked what he did for a living, he said he travelled a large proportion of the year & grew marijuana.. "but I DON'T sell it!" My review cryptically said "It was fascinating to hear about his (to me) unusual lifestyle & extensive foreign travel!" - Was that TOO cryptic, or would future hosts get an inkling??? This guest booked again for 1 more night, 4 days later, so I was glad my review had been superficially charming!

.@Helen350  To tell the truth in many countries it is officially allowed.) In Spain, there are even official regulations on how many bushes can be grown for personal use.🤣  Selling is another matter and it is forbidden (officially, haha))

@Helen350  Would other hosts get an inkling of what?  What a guest does to earn a living isn't any of a host's business and doesn't belong in a review at all, as long as they aren't doing whatever it is that you may not approve of while they are staying with you. 

And I can assure you that it's not a particularly unusual way to earn a living. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Sarah977 I asked him what he did for a living to make conversation, as we shared a cup of tea! I felt a little uncomfortable with him from the start, because of how he presented, quite unlike the usual harmless outdoorsy type! - & his camping story sounded suspicious cos he did not seem to understand how to camp etc etc. He'd travelled here from 100 miles away in a taxi, which was strange..... What a guest does for a living IS my business if I think they might be doing something illegal from my premises! And I am a woman on my own with no other guests that night...... I felt so nervous about hosting him, I almost messaged a local male host to come over..... In the end I gave him 5* cos there was no reason not to, & he did the same for me.

@Helen350  Well, you didn't say in the post that I replied to that the guest behaved oddly and was making you uncomfortable. And that's exactly what I said- if they are actually doing something illegal or that makes you nervous while they are staying with you, that is of course something to address in a review, but just because someone grows some plants, somewhere else, and tells you that during conversation, doesn't seem to me to be any cause for concern or comment in a review. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Sarah977 I guess you just had to be there................ On his second visit, also booked at a few minutes notice (!), where he arrived well before check in time, having had a 1 night camp , & being booked on the bus home early next morning, I took him on an hour's walk thru the woods, with my dog...... So I'd obviously calmed down by then!

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Helen350 you guest seems mine.

*waits for ABB to ad the "bring weed to share" box.....*