The first guest never gets forgotten

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The first guest never gets forgotten

The first guest never gets forgotten.jpg

Hello everyone,

Do you remember your first guest? The moment they stepped into your home, the first opportunity to show your ability as a host – all of this marks the moment you officially became a host.

What do you remember of that day? What were your emotions that day? Any tips for new hosts before hosting their first guest?

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

71 Replies 71
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie I remember being really, really nervous: that was the main emotion. The guest was a nice guy, but he was also someone fairly famous (in Canada, at least), which really didn't help at all. Needless to say, everything was absolutely fine. They had a great stay, and all was well. Since then, I've hosted almost 100 trips, and the nerves definitely do get better!

I think the biggest thing as a new host is doing enough research before you start so you're confident in knowing the rules and knowing what to do if something does happen to go wrong. This board was so unbelivably helpful for me in that respect. Also, have confidence in your listing: as long as you've presented your space and what you're offering accurately and honestly, things are probably going to be okay.

If I could tell my pre-host self one thing, it would be that my guests are going to be amazing. I have met so many wonderful people since becoming a host. I wish that I hadn't stressed as much in the beginning, because it's been a great experience.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Had to go down memory lane to October 2015 and read my messaging with my first guests, @Lizzie.  I was so fortunate with all my early guests.  The first were a young couple who were having a Thanksgiving holiday with elderly relatives that live nearby.   So polite and respectful.  I don't recall any nerves for some reason but I do remember having to explain to all my friends and relatives that I was not expecting monster sex offenders to book my room 😛  

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lizzie,

How little did we knew, back then.

Our first guests were a group of 5 young women (just over 2 years ago, we still remember them very well). Coming over for a long weekend to celebrate having finished their medical school. No reviews yet. Our first gut feeling was: This may be a challenge!

Since English is not my native language, I also used the phrase: We feel a bit ‘reluctant’ in hosting your group. Whereas I actually meant: ‘hesitant’, in my initial messaging with them (thinking I meant the same). Reply from them: Of course, I wouldn't want you to have any reluctance in accepting our request!

We are remote hosts and our property is located in a city known for partying. So we do not have a lot of control over the situation. And we were really sweating it out, for the duration of this first visit.

Afterwards: They turned out to be excellent guests. Leaving our property exactly as they entered it. Had a very good time and left an extremely good 5-star all-over review (Can’t wait to come back and will recommend)!

Another lesson learned 🙂

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie I remember my very first Airbnb guests very well! It was a young French couple who was obsessed with the internet connection.During that period i was having some troubles to find a good internet provider.The best advice i can give to all the new hosts out there is not to overdo anything.Keep calm and be yourself!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Lizzie, I do remember my first guests very well, a lovely couple from Scotland. I was extremely nervous before they arrived and couldn't stop cleaning and tidying the house. It was also really strange having complete strangers in my home (the room I rent out is right next to my own room with a shared wall, so hearing people moving around in the next room was a bit unsettling!). Anyway, they were super nice but the funny thing was that they marked me down on cleanliness when I don't think my house had ever been so clean in its life (before or since)! Anyway, like @Alexandra316, I would also tell my pre-host self to relax and enjoy the experience, because that is what I have done ever since. I have stopped tiptoeing around my own home and worrying about every tiny thing. If people have read my listing (which, granted, they don't always) they'll know they are staying in an operational home and that there will be signs and sounds of life and people coming and going etc. Over the last 20 months, I have met the most wonderful, interesting people and have loved (nearly) every second of it. 

It is good to hear from someone hosting in their own home and sharing space with visitors! I can't wait to  host (I have listed to start in March, 2020) and I can't stop cleaning even now.  Hope someone does pitch up...

My first guest was an Airbnb host.  I was so excited.  I looked at her listing and her great reviews and had the highest hopes.  Unfortunatly she stole from me, had extra guests over, smoked on my property (against my rules) and broke into my trailer, breaking the lock on the trailer door.  I was so disappointed.  

Thankfully, other hosts on Airbnb's community forum were really supportive, encouraged me to keep at it, and shared their wonderful experiences.  

😡:frowning_face:

Thats horrible. hopefully you reported her so others dont have the same problems

@Lizzie

My first guest was great! She was a first time guest user, Henry and I were new hosts.......we all had no idea what to expect and were really nervous.

Once we got to know each other a bit we fell into a comfortable routine and she was always happy to share her opinion about questions/concerns we had as hosts and provided us with a lot of feedback during her stay which helped us improve our listing description and house rules.

She was our 3rd inquiry, 1 week after our listing went live..........and she checked in about 1 week after her 4 month booking was confirmed.

I still remember how surprised I was when I first got her inquiry - "so your coming next week? for 4 months? and you don't have a place to stay?" I wasn't sure what to expect 🙂 It was also her first international trip alone, first time in Asia, first time living with people who were not family. It turned out she was really picky about accomodations (she really liked that our guest room has large windows and a open view, and a private bath) and she told us later that she didn't want to share a room with anyone so the student dorm was never an option (plus dorms don't provide bedding & towels and they havr curfews), and had looked at dozens of places, mostly "homestay" options - there were a few that were *okay* but if the place offered a private bath, the bedroom window was small and faced a wall. If the room was nice and airy with a good view, the bathroom was blah~ or there was no guest kitchen access allowed (breakfast would be provided but guests were not allowed to cook) or distance to school was too far so she joined Airbnb as a last resort, thought if she didn't find anything she liked she'd choose between the 2~3 homestay options - and she found us!

Also when we didn't have any reviews but started getting inquiries from potential exchange student guests for the summer/fall semesters, she happily offered to talk/chat with them and answer any questions they might have which I think really helped us get booked before we had any reviews so this is something we will be forever grateful for. We send Christmas/New Year's greetings and stay in touch thru messages 1~2 times a year.

We are on our 6th guest now, 1.5yrs into hosting......and we are booked full till end of this year. We will also have our very first "repeat" guest arriving in about 2 weeks, and she will be staying for about 2 weeks so Henry and I are very excited!

Suggestions for new hosts........... always over-communicate, manage guest expectations (under-promise, over-deliver), trust your gut and don't forget "common sense" is not so common don't be afraid to state the obvious and show a little patience. 

Easy to remember bc it was last week! I was nervous but my first booking was technically a few days prior ( I had chosen friday the 13th as my official launch date and got a booking) and they cancelled two hours before their supposed arrival. So, in a way, I was over it. I was actually relieved to have a little more time and it was all good.

My second, ( although technically first ) guests came in two hours after contacting me, a few days later, a tired mom on the road with two sweet girls, 4 and 6. Lovely little family with chatty girls and I totally enjoyed my first go.  Kids are good ice breakers and they enhanced the “tour”. 

The 4 yo ended up in the ER overnight, the grandfather had flown in very late to help drive the family home and was left here without a car or real food. ( I have a full apartment upstairs in my house) So I was thrown into hostess with the mostess mode and hustled to the market for bagels and yogurt, juice etc.  Messaged Mom to let her know her dad would find breakfast on the top step. It all turned out fine and they were back on the road before noon. Not before mom told me she tossed my puked in,  plush Airbnb virgin washcloth, in the trash at the hospital. Please do. I did spend a few minutes museing that this wil likely be the first of many stories on the twists and turns of this new gig. 

@Laurel47 ...So I was thrown into hostess with the mostess mode and hustled to the market for bagels and yogurt, juice etc.  Messaged Mom to let her know her dad would find breakfast on the top step. It all turned out fine and they were back on the road before noon. Not before mom told me she tossed my puked in,  plush Airbnb virgin washcloth, in the trash at the hospital. Please do. I did spend a few minutes museing that this wil likely be the first of many stories on the twists and turns of this new gig. 

Welcome to the community Laurel. Wow, you really earned your Airbnb stripes on your first lot of guests didn’t you. Bravo and well done. Here’s hoping that everything going forward is much smoother for you.

Congratulations on rising to the challenges that you were dealt with. I think you’re going to be a fabulous host.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

@Deborah0. Thank you for the welcome and the boost of confidence. Its a learn as you go experience for sure. This board is invaluable. I've learned a lot and enjoy all the topics and support. 

Thanks again and happy hosting!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie, my first guest was from the US. I remember that I was quite nervous as I didn't know what to expect. My guest turned up nicely on time and was very friendly.

Throughout his stay, I barely noticed that he was around as he was out for day trips every day. When he was checking out, he thanked me for everything and left off to the airport :-). 

Everything went very smooth! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen