The great bed size debate

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The great bed size debate

I recently started an Instagram for our cottage and have been following a few other hosts who also have one for their Airbnb. Yesterday there was a post where a host decried the lack of "king-size beds in rooms that would fit them" and a exhortation to ALL HOSTS to put in king-size beds (and then a description of the bedding they use themselves.)

So this got me to thinking. We recently replaced a bed but kept it a queen. Both our bedrooms have queen sized beds. We have queen beds in our own home. Arguably we could have king in our cottage upstairs but made a conscious decision to buy the same size beds everywhere in order to make it easier to change out linens.  I figure that anyone who insists on a king will pass our place by and perhaps look for a hotel where they can pick exactly the bed size they want. We tried to get the most comfortable mattresses we could find first and bed size was a distant second in consideration after that.  People seem to really think the beds are comfy and no one has said boo about the size. 

So what say you, fellow hosts? Does size matter? Do you think there should be more king-sized beds in listings? Or is far down on the list of considerations?

73 Replies 73
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

The reason I stray away from King size beds (for the Airbnb and my personal bed) is because of the cost of bedding. Fannel and down pillows and tick goose down comforters are my weakness. I spend a lot on bedding and it's my biggest impulse purchase. Having to buy King everything would be a greater expense. I think about how luxurious my bed was in college since outfitting a twin was so simple and inexpensive! 

@Emilia42  Another thing we have in common!  I used to haunt the linen department of Century 21 - before the pandemic shut it down.  😞

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Laura2592 , I've got a 4' x 6' platform fitted with a piece of memory foam. One of the compliments currently showing on the listing is "comfortable beds". 

So, um, no. Doesn't matter here. The trick is to have guests who are just happy not to be sleeping on the ground. 🙂

Really...not sleeping on the ground?  Why would someone pay money and be grateful for not sleeping on the ground? Yes...super important the bed be comfortable...but KING is KING when it comes to beds!

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

We have a king in ours and I do have to say its much more expensive for linens and it takes so much longer to change out.  I spend over an hour just making the King, by the time you get everything put on, wrinkles out,  not to mention the duvet cover takes longer, and you end up doing a lot of walking around the bed.  A queen I can do in 15 minutes and it requires less storage room for  linens.   

Its funny though, our Condo has the king but it appears that groups seem to be booking the condo,  when I go to make it up,  it usually looks as if 3 people have slept in the bunk and queen room and 1 person gets the king to themselves.  The king usually looks like just a third of it was used.

We spent a month in an Airbnb by the ocean and it had a king, we went home and bought one.  

Really...an hour to make a king bed? And only 15 mins for a Queen?

Given a choice...KING ALL DAY LONG!!! I wish there was a filter on rental properties for it.

Always amazed when there is room for a king and the owners put in a queen...I truely don't think you know the people who are turned away looking for place for a king. People don't complain because the listing up front say the size of the bed...they knew what they were getting into.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I have a King bed in the master (my personal preference since we stay there sometimes) and 2 extra-long twins in the guest bedroom.  I have an insert for the twins, and offer to prepare for my guests conversion to a King,  complete with King bedding, if desired. Great for 2 couples. Guests seem surprised and happy with being able to have this choice.

Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

When we were looking to buy our airbnb we met with several vacation rental agencies that work exclusively in our resort and they told us the most requested items in a rental were king size beds, air conditioning, and open to pets.  With that we put 2 king size beds in the house when we reconfigured the furniture and set it up for rental.

At home I have a queen bed... but when we visit I look forward to sleeping in the king!

@Heather1086 that is great insight. I wonder if Airbnb would ever be able to share the most searched amenities in our markets?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592  I only have one room in my whole life that fits a king bed.  I don't like it - it's too big, even for two people.  My cabin can't even hold a queen-size bed.  About one guest a year tells me I should put in a bigger bed; others remark on its comfort.

Maybe this push for king-size beds is part of the hotel-ization of Airbnb.

@Ann72  I think it is somewhat regional. Curious to hear my European friends chime in. In historic homes on the East Coast of the US, bedrooms tend to be smaller. Newer housing stock and those out West will have a king size friendly room.  When I was living in Poland for a few months there was no such thing as a king sized bed.  I wonder how much this perception of "must have" is driven by market.

@Laura2592  I agree that it's an American ideal.  My original response made reference to our "bigger-is-better" mentality.  Besides, in the Old World, many places would be too small to accommodate a king, as you discovered in Poland.  

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 @Ann72  Definitely agree push for king size beds is part of hotel-ization!

Also agree that bed size has to be dictated by room size!

My own home cottage in which I let private rooms:

Room 1 - 12' 7" x 7' 2" = 4' 6" bed against the wall

Room 2 - 10' x 8'5" = 4' 6" bed against the wall

Room 3 - 17' 3" x 10' 1" = 5' bed in middle of long wall. (5' wide = UK King size, way smaller than US King size!)

If the place is advertised with a Queen bed then the renter will NOT complain as she got what you said. That is why people do not complain about the size....I rent 6-8 times a year...if all is equal I will pick the KING all day long!