The great curtain debate

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The great curtain debate

We have rather odd windows at our circa 1850 place with 18 inch deep window wells. Our cottage is solid stone and the walls are that thick. As a result of both that and the wooded lot, the main room can be rather dark. I have been hesitant to buy curtains because we want as much light as possible in the space. Blinds can't be hung because of the odd construction of the windows.

We have polled guests (we have a suggestion box at our place and some have left private feeback) on curtains. The bedrooms and bathrooms are additions and both have more traditional windows where we are able to hang translucent curtains which give more privacy but allow some light. But the main open plan living/dining/kitchen is still under discussion. From the feedback we have gotten, there seems to be a pretty clear generational split. Our older/retiree guests are adamant that we need curtains. Younger guests prefer the light. No neighbors are situated to see directly into the house. When we bought the place, there were no curtains, only a drape across the top of the window frame that was decorative. I am not sure that the sheer curtains we would hang would help much with privacy.

Should we break down and buy some spring rods and cafe curtains? I personally prefer the place without them. Can anyone think of a more creative solution?

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I'm aware that you use this cabin yourself sometimes, yes? I think you have to separate what you prefer in the space from the fact that you are  renting it out. Guests should have the option of blocking visibility or light if they so choose. Even if no one can actually see in from anywhere and it seems silly or unreasonable, some guests just aren't going to be able to feel relaxed and comfortable if they feel exposed. The ones who don't care can leave the curtains open. You can take down the curtains and the rods when you stay there if the look bothers you. No one can see in any of the windows of my guest room and there are lots of windows. Some guests leave the curtains open their whole stay, some keep them closed most of the time. It just seems like an easy thing to accommodate either preference..

BTW, I love your cottage. And here's an alternative to curtains that would solve the problem, would fit your architecture and decor and which even you might like the look of- make some bi-fold wooden doors, shutters, screens, whatever you want to call them, that fit those window wells. So three thin, hinged wooden panels that can just sit there and be opened out or folded back as desired. They don't have to be attached to anything. The whole unit just has to be wide enough that it is still somewhat folded when open so it stands up by itself. I have something similar under my guest room bath sink to hide the plumbing, but mine is a wooden frame, three narrow panels, with light gauzy cloth slid onto dowels, which might also be an idea. I will try to post a photo of it tomorrow. It's like a mini shoji screen.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Laura2592, ah, the old 'young vs. old' dilemma! It seems that these two generations have very different needs, such as the old wanting top sheets, the young not; the old wanting a TV, the young not; the old wanting access to the entire house, the young not. Overall, I prefer younger guests - they are far less demanding!

I've had a similar situation, not to do with curtains, but with other issues such as a TV. My guests are no longer allowed in the lounge (which is also my office and is the only room in the house where I have any space), and the bedroom has no TV. I have never in three years had a younger guest complain about this. However, my older guests frequently do, despite the fact that TV is not listed as an amenity. Some have suggested I install a TV in the bedroom, which I have considered. However, I have decided not to for the following reasons:

- the obvious expense (not just the TV, but the installation of a power point and TV cable plug)

- the aesthetics of it, especially in a small room. It would have to be hung on the wall, which I think is ugly

- the fact that the majority of my guests are young and don't give a toss about whether there is TV (WiFi for them is much more important, which I do have)

- the guest room being right next to my bedroom, meaning that potentially I will be kept awake at night with commercial TV blaring on volume 50 (which the oldies love) or even worse, morning TV!

While this is a different situation to yours, there is some crossover (e.g. expense and aesthetics). If you don't want curtains, then don't have curtains, simple as that. This is YOUR space, and if people don't like it, they shouldn't book it. However, I would make it clear in your listing that there are no curtains in the common area (and also that there are no neighbours to see in). When older people book, you could also specifically mention this in your message to them (like I specifically mention the TV thing to older couples now). I have made many changes (at considerable financial cost to myself) over the past three years, but sometimes I think we just need to draw a line rather than trying to please every single person who walks through the door (which will never be possible anyway!). Will be interested to see what other people have to say on this issue.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I would have curtains. I like your idea of spring rods/cafe rods. I use those as well.

Home Depot has top down, bottom up blinds that are good for privacy but still allow light in.

Here in Alaska with our midnight sun which stays up almost all night May-July, I have to have curtains or guests complain.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 from looking at the photos (which no longer have captions btw) it seems like all the things that you've done elsewhere in the house would work (overmount something outside the windows on the trim; spring rods - I'd personally vote for double rods so that they could be full-length or folded over to half-length)

BUT, it's your place so do what you want... our barn has a glass 12' garage door, no curtains for that, so the listing description says "The living room also features a large glass garage door at one end. This is one of the best features of the barn, but they don't make curtains for 12' garage doors, so whoever sleeps in the living room will see the sun in the morning and the stars at night."

If thus far it keeps coming up in feedback but not affecting your reviews then I'd likely not worry about it.

City people def aren't used to naked windows and they don't like the nature spying on them ;0

@Kelly149weird about the captions-- I just previewed and I see them on all the pics!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 Similar situation; our lake house has no window treatments on the windows facing the lake because I don’t want to block any part of the view. Maybe twice in five years a guest has commented unfavorably. I’m not planning to change it.

This is my first time doing Airbnb, I really haven’t commented but maybe I should. I don’t like sitting in my living room and not being able to have my privacy. 

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

We had an issue with the inspector here in Spain actually demanding curtains although there are no neighbors and there are electric shutters. After lengthy discussions, we agreed on triple folding screens, the standalone type with soft fabric.

Want light and view put them to the side - want privacy use them - Problem solved.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love a curtain debate @Laura2592 🙂 Some of my favourite topics in the CC! hehe

Maybe you could share a photo here and we can have a poll of our own?? Let me know what you think. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.