The guest cancelled the booking with the reason dealing with third parties

Aliaksandr2
Level 2
Guangzhou, China

The guest cancelled the booking with the reason dealing with third parties

Hi, to everyone. It's my first post here. And I would like to know your opinion on the following situation

The apartment is my mother's apartment. She meets the guests and give the keys. I help with the maintenance. The account is registed on me. All comunnication come through me. But today an american guest canceled his booking after two hours after he booked. He requested for the full refund. The reason he specifed was, that as I can't meet him by myself, he is "not comfortable dealing with third parties, other than the host for AirBNB."  He wrote that dealing with my mother (recieving the keys) makes him uncomfortable. 

I accepted his request for the full refund, and explained him, that apartment is rulled by two hosts - me and my mother

Did anyone have such a problem?

4 Replies 4
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Aliaksandr2 Hello, and I am sorry you had an ugly american to deal with. Obviously they do not understand the situation with you as the host and your mother as Co-Host. Make sure you say that to people. The person did not understand it is not a third party rental. Your mother is the Co-Host.

You might want to add your mother on your account as co host - I can not tell you exactly how but I don't think it will be difficult to add her with her photo too.  

It is good this person cancelled because it is best this way. Just know many people are worried about scams and afraid they will be scammed. That could be why he also cancelled. It will happen.

Good luck and happy hosting, Clara

Thank you for a good advice! I already thought to add her as a Co-Host. So will not have such a problem. Here (in Belarus) it's normal to give the keys through someone, usually host's relatives. So never thought it can be a problem 

Sandee6
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Offer self check in. On ebay they have great door handle/lock with combination. I do all on text or email.

Cheers 

@Sandee6  Self-check in is an option for some, but it's not practical in many hosting situations. I could never do self-check-in. Not only is my place not easy to find the first time, my metal doors are custom made, do not have standard type door knobs like you're used to in the US and there would be no way to attach a lock-box or keypad to them.Not only that, most of my guests arrive by air from the US or Canada- they're not going to necessarily get a Wifi signal, or even cell service on their phones to access check-in info or door codes. 

The world is a big place, with different systems everywhere.