The guest doesn't want to pay through the platform, but on cash. What does Airbnb to protect us?

Answered!
Rodolfo100
Level 1
San Miguel, Chile

The guest doesn't want to pay through the platform, but on cash. What does Airbnb to protect us?

The last period, I've received many offers of people wanting to book in my place. However, they're looking forward to pay on cash, directly. Even I had a person more than a month and he asked me if I want to be paid by cash. I rejected, of course. I wonder if Airbnb is being too flexible for the guests. For example, the other day, a person sent me a request without a photo neither a profile. Of course, it's very suspicious and the platform should be asking for the minimum.

Also, what's the protection for the host? I mean, I had to reject this common kind of offers. But, if you reject this constantly, the rank falls down and my place doesn't appear on the top main list anymore.

This should be the other way around; Like a reward for being loyal to "Airbnb policy". 

What does Airbnb do to aid us?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rodolfo100

Hello Rodolfo, it's nice to meet you. If you spend much time here you will see that I always try to find a dimplomatic approach to problems and many do not think that this is the right thing to do. But it hasn't done me any harm in life. So can I make a couple of diplomatic points that may explain this Rodolfo!

I would like to make two observations here.

1/. Most countries around the world have moved towards a 'cashless' society where the use of credit cards and credit facilities have taken over from more traditional method of paying by cash.

It may be that you in Chile rely more heavily on a culture of using cash, so your guests do not think that they are doing anything wrong....it is the excepted way of doing business.

Airbnb is an American company that operates in the US financial system, not that of Chile...... and Airbnb have set their terms of service to suit the monetary system in which they operate.

But having said that Airbnb fully understands that a high degree of flexibility is required to be able to attract the most users to the platform, they are always finding ways to make to company more appealing to guests and I don't think that become less flexible is something they would give much thought to. I agree with you that what they doing is making hosts entirely responsible for enforcing the company's  rules while putting a minimum of responsibility on the guest.

2/. My second observation in a way relates to the first. As I said some of your guests do not realise the main reason Airbnb insists on all transactions going through the company is to protect its revenue. They feel there is nothing wrong in wanting to do cash, so I feel 'reporting' them could be a bit of overkill.

I also have guest inquiries who want to do a deal outside the company.....particularly guests who have been here before and feel Airbnb got their bit last time, this time there is no effort involved on their part so why should they be entitled to any money. I tell these guests I would rather the both of us have the protection that Airbnb offers but what I will do is offer a small discount to offset some of the guests service fee. That way we get to keep the business within the company and both get to have another review!

These are just my thoughts Rodolfo.

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Rodolfo100 Report the profiles that are asking you to pay cash on arrival. There is a little flag icon on the message: click on it and report the person to Airbnb.

If someone just sends an inquiry rather than a booking request, you don't need to reject it. Just send them a message telling them you don't accept cash bookings: that's all you need to do to maintain your response rate. If it's an actual booking request, you need to accept or decline. However, if someone is looking to pay cash it's likely not a request, because if you accept it the money for the booking will immediately be taken from their credit card.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

You'd have absolutely no protection from Airbnb, but it's not impossible to arrange, depending on local tax and habitation rules. You could rent the place for someone for cash, however it would simply be a private arrangement between you and the guest, nothing else. If its someone you know and you've rented to them before, you could consider it. If not, I'd suggest it's very risky. 

@Rodolfo100

I have never been asked from a guest for cash payment the first year, when Airbnb was taking 10% from the guests.

The second year I had at least ten or even more people who asked me if this would be possible - they did not insist, just were telling that it is too expensive with the 17% that is taken from them for the Airbnb service. I think - have already written it somewhere on a forum - that perhaps there should be different service fees taken from guests. I think the first time users should always be charged the highest service fee, and after 5 or 10 trips with 5-stars reviews as a guest -  the service fee might be lessened with 1-2%, then again, until it reaches the old service fee at 10%. And if the guest breaks the continious 5-stars reviews - then some percentage might be added again.

I think that the Resolution center will be having much less questions and troubles - if guests are knowing that if they will be good guests - this will be rewarded into the future with lower service fees from airbnb.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lilly28

Very good point Lilly, I applaud you for that.

It's very hard to talk a company out of greed though Lilly!

Cheers.....Rob

Jackie-Schwartz0
Level 4
Garopaba, Brazil

@Rodolfo100 o airbnb informou em outubro q não mostrará mais a foto do hóspede antes de fechar a reserva e após fechar só será mostrada se o anfitrião pedir.... coisas absurdas pois abrimos nossa casa, temos a nossa foto, as fotos da casa e não podemos saber quem vai chegar.

E sua observação é bem correta, muitos hospedes quebram regras, tentam burlar o sistema e nós é que podemos ser punidos. Eu não recuso esses hóspedes numa suposta consulta, só respondo, denuncio na bandeira e arquivo. Caso ele seja muito chato, faço uma oferta especial bem alta e assim ele desaparece.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rodolfo100

Hello Rodolfo, it's nice to meet you. If you spend much time here you will see that I always try to find a dimplomatic approach to problems and many do not think that this is the right thing to do. But it hasn't done me any harm in life. So can I make a couple of diplomatic points that may explain this Rodolfo!

I would like to make two observations here.

1/. Most countries around the world have moved towards a 'cashless' society where the use of credit cards and credit facilities have taken over from more traditional method of paying by cash.

It may be that you in Chile rely more heavily on a culture of using cash, so your guests do not think that they are doing anything wrong....it is the excepted way of doing business.

Airbnb is an American company that operates in the US financial system, not that of Chile...... and Airbnb have set their terms of service to suit the monetary system in which they operate.

But having said that Airbnb fully understands that a high degree of flexibility is required to be able to attract the most users to the platform, they are always finding ways to make to company more appealing to guests and I don't think that become less flexible is something they would give much thought to. I agree with you that what they doing is making hosts entirely responsible for enforcing the company's  rules while putting a minimum of responsibility on the guest.

2/. My second observation in a way relates to the first. As I said some of your guests do not realise the main reason Airbnb insists on all transactions going through the company is to protect its revenue. They feel there is nothing wrong in wanting to do cash, so I feel 'reporting' them could be a bit of overkill.

I also have guest inquiries who want to do a deal outside the company.....particularly guests who have been here before and feel Airbnb got their bit last time, this time there is no effort involved on their part so why should they be entitled to any money. I tell these guests I would rather the both of us have the protection that Airbnb offers but what I will do is offer a small discount to offset some of the guests service fee. That way we get to keep the business within the company and both get to have another review!

These are just my thoughts Rodolfo.

Cheers......Rob

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Rodolfo100

Taking cash is the road to perdition.

do so at great peril

We had a prospective guest ask to pay in cash a couple days ago. This person did not have any ratings or a profile picture either. Fortunately the inquiry was flagged by Airbnb as suspicious and we were told to decline it and it would not reflect poorly on our ratings. I don’t think it will let people book without an electronic payment method, only make inquiries. 

Buenas noches desde hace 3,años estoy inscrito en Airbnb tengo una casa con 12 habitaciones y un restaurante en el sector financiero (calle 71 con Carr 19 ) 4, cuadras abajo de la estación de Transmilenio de la Caracas con 72 . Por el momento arriendo las habitaciónes a ejecutivos que trabajan y estudian en el sector (U Sergio arboleda , U área andina, U pedagógica) deseo amoblar las habitaciones y fortalecer los alojamientos con a Airbnb .estoy en busca de un socio para realizarlo . Mi mail es claudioemelov@gmail.com para las personas que estén interesadas.

Gracias.

Claudio melo

Dean171
Level 1
Hastings, United Kingdom

it's quite simple. do not accept guests who insist on paying by cash. don't be swayed by excuses. you will have no protection, only problems.

Jacinta39
Level 1
Australia

I have just received my first request from a guest to pay cash on arrival. They also have nothing on their profile except joined 2020. No reviews, no description about themselves. I have told them no to cash and asked them to tell me who they and their guest is. I will not preapprove until I have more information and they go through the Airbnb to book.