The host doesn't answer anymore and won't cancel the reservation

Answered!
Thomas697
Level 1
Temse, Belgium

The host doesn't answer anymore and won't cancel the reservation

The host don't response anymore. She said the reservation can't continue but wanted me to relocate and I said no. After that no response anymore, but she needs to cancel so I can search for another place. I contacted Airbnb, no response. and I already made a request for canceling from her side. But I can't see the status of this request anywhere.

If I cancel I will lose 200+ euro's. After 40 hours still no response, very annoying. All the other apartments are getting full. I need to be there for business. And I have only 11 days left, to get my money back and find another place.

Kind regards,

Thomas

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

24 Replies 24
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Thomas697

If you have sent a request that the host needs to cancel and the host has not declined, the cancellation will go through automatically after the given time frame.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

Hopefully all your correspondance with the host is kept on the airbnb message platform. 

Thank you for your fast response! 

Yes I only communicated through Airbnb-chat. I did the request but nowhere I can find the status of that request. I think I did the request a 40+ ago. It's just sad because I was very happy of Airbnb until now, but I will see if tonight the reservation will be cancelled. 

@Marit-Anne0 I never knew that the cancellation request could go through if the host did not respond!

That is a good piece of information to learn.

This is my favorite thing I have learned today so far. (But it is early).

If the host does not respond, does the cancellation request count as a host cancellation or a guest cancellation?

(I know that if the host approves a cancellation request that it counts as a host cancellation.)

@Matthew285

It counts as a host cancellation.

Hi @Marit-Anne0 🙂

I don't read the link you sent like you explain it. If the host do not respond to the guest request on cancelling (from hosts side) within a certain time frame = leed to an automatic cancellation from hosts side. It says that if a host do not respond in time guest should/can start looking for a new place to stay and guest can ASK for a refund. If the cancellation automatically went through then the guest would automatically get paid. I guess I'm a little confused?

Best, Sandra 

@Sandra856

It's been a year since I were on the forum, but numerous posts back then confirmed that a cancellation request from guest to host would count as host cancellation unless declined by host.  I do not know if this is still the case - rules may have changed.  

@Marit-Anne0 Yes, but as I understood your post : if a host do not do anything "accept or decline" within the timeframe then it would mean an automatically cancellation. 

It only counts as a host cancellation if the host accept the request sent from the guest. 

@Sandra856  not responding within the timeframe counts as a silent accept, hence will also count as host cancellation.

@Marit-Anne0 I just don't see that anywhere? 

I read this :

If your trip starts within a week, the host has 24 hours to respond to the request. Otherwise, they have 48 hours to respond. If your host accepts the request, or doesn’t respond, you’ll have the option to find a new space for your stay or request a full refund including service fees. If they decline the request, your host is letting you know that they can still host your stay.

If a cancellation happens automatic then the guest should get the money refunded automatic aswell as with any other cancellation? But here the guest is told to request for refunds? I don't read anywhere that not responding to the request is = a silent accept?

I'm fully aware that if a guest sends a request to cancel to a host, it is looked at, as a host cancellation. Something many hosts do not know. But I didn't know that if a host do not respond it will automatically cancel after a while penalising the host.

@Sandra856   It has never been clear, just based on expereinces from other hosts.

@Marit-Anne0 I have just never heard of it and it seems weird to me with a "silent accept". That was why I read the link you added and it didn't say anything about a "silent accept". I would think that the guest would have to contact airbnb if the host didn't cancel or repond in order to change/cancel the reservation. 

@Sandra856

There is a lot on airbnb that can seem weird or is not spelt out in detail and even varies from one region of the world to another.  Following this forum on a daily basis will let you stay on top of things.

@Marit-Anne0 I'm very much aware of that  and I also think I can be looked at as a regular in this community. I have never heard of a "silent accept" before I'm afraid. 

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

Just tweet problem  to airbnbhelp...fast response.