The importance of photography

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

The importance of photography

I had noticed bookings were slowing down and July hadn't filled and August wasn't looking much better.  We hadn't received a new booking in like a week.  Didn't know why that was happening and I wanted to do something to help get more bookings.  So I decided to update the photos because we added some decor and new curtains since the last time we took photos.  Plus the old ones made the place look a little stark and cold.  I used a gentle filter on my phone to enhance the colors (nothing crazy), and took my time to really get the best angles and lighting and took a few dozen so I could pick the best ones.   In the 48 hours since I updated the photos we have had 6 new bookings.  Photos matter people! 

8 Replies 8
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great result @Ned-And-Laura0. It is always so satisfying when you decide to do something and it works out well. 

I agree photos are are super important. It is usually the photos that draw my attention first, when I search for places to stay. 

When was the last time before this that you updated your photos?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Not since we first started listing the space.  The photos weren't terrible but the new ones are much better.  definitally seeing a big difference in the bookings.  I figure its like online dating...nobody reads the profile, its all about the photos.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe! I like your comparison with online dating, @Ned-And-Laura0!

What I like about your photos are that I can picture myself walking around your listing and staying there. Sitting outside and generally relaxing, I think that is a really nice way to feel excited about staying in a place (and ultimately booking). 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

So glad to hear about your uptick in bookings @Ned-And-Laura0

I'm half way thru my 2nd year as a host and I was actually planning to take some new pics this weekend while our guest room is empty. My sister who dabbled a bit in photography is home for the summer so she'll be taking the pics 🙂 

The current pics..... I just took them with my phone and uploaded as is. No filters or photoshopping at all~ 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ned-And-Laura0 The room looks gorgeous, lovely colours.  I need to do the same thing as I have not updated my photos for over a year.  I found that the last time I did that I shot up the search rankings and got increased bookings as a result.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Ned and Laura,

I like your choice of order. I like how you sell your view and choice of lifestyle. Mountains, View, patio relaxation, possible hiking activities, quiet.  The thought of these amenities combined with your proximity to the excitement of LA, make me want to stay there. 

Unfortunately your second photo, the photo looking down upon your neighboring properties, does not convey this. It appears cluttered, dry and dusty. In real life it is probably a pleasant view, but the photo translates it poorly.  

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at taking a new one of that angle.

Joy252
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

Didn't AirBnB send out an email lately about offering professional photography?  Our property has had nearly $5000 in remodelling done since October and it looks great.  Tenants even commented on the beautiful retiled bathroom in their reviews.  But we've not updated our photos and now we've had no new bookings for the first time since we started hosting 2 years ago.  If anyone has a link to the AirBnB photography offer, please share it.  I can't find it in my emails.