The living wage cleaning pledge??

Tina134
Level 2
Zanesville, OH

The living wage cleaning pledge??

I just read through the email I received about the cleaning pledge and paying a living wage, I'm a bit confused as to where the living wage was figured.  The email says at minimum $25 an hour if they are self employed and $15 if they work for someone else.  Does this seem off to anyone else?  My husband does not even make $25 an hour and we live in Ohio. USA.  

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for paying people what they are worth but this just seems off.   And what of those of us who clean our own rooms?  What if we do not have the pledge notice on our pages?  Does this not limit our search potential? 

43 Replies 43
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

The extra - I think - comes from the self-employed person must pay their employment taxes, insurance, etc on their own. The employer must pay the $15/hr to the employed person...ie: the $10 difference accounts for taxes, insurance, etc.

I pay a living wage. I think it is worth it. I raised the price of my cleaning fee to afford this and raised the amount I charge for my property as well - because it is a studio and does take more than 1 hour to clean most of the time. I charge - in my cleaning fee - 1 hour's worth of cleaning. The rest - if needed - comes out of my pocket and thus the raise in nightly amounts.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Tina134  That seems odd...too much of a spread. Our minium wage in Quebec, Canada is roughly $12 per hour, and when I need a cleaning lady I pay $15 per hour and they are all self employed.

I do the cleaning myself and just checked the box, must admit I did not notice that there was an amount mentioned.

Sounds like SanFran wages.

David

The living wage only applies if you pay someone other than yourself to clean your rental.

@Susan675

If it says that, I missed it.

Says: 

Living Wage Pledge, which hosts can take to commit to paying the people who clean their listing a living wage, or the minimum income necessary for individuals to meet their basic needs.

David
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I can't even afford to pay myself. Where the hell do they come up with this crap?  Living Wage!  This comes from the same people who keep sending me email messages urging me to lower my rates no doubt.   "Give yourself a raise.  Lower your rates, and start earning a Living Wage!"

LOL so damned true! They want us to pay a certain amount for cleaning BUT also want us to keep dropping our rates!  LOL

just bonkers!!!!!

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

another ridiculous addition that can go on the list along with you are not allowed to charge for children (I am not a Holiday Inn) , An infant is from 1 to 24 months old?? Once they are walking?crawling not an infant, you can not select require ID verified unless you have instant book, you can not set up a new listing unless you select instant book and then deselect if you dont want it, they block your calendar if someone requests until you accept or decline(must be for an approved reason or blockis not removed) even if you asked guest for info and they did not reply. 

Hello @Regina38,

You can require guests to go through ID verification if you don't have instant book set.

To set this requirement click on "Host", then on "Your reservations" and then on "Reservation requirements".

If it's not already done, you'll have to upload a photo of yourself, which Airbnb matches with the photo on your uploaded government ID, before you can set the requirement for guests.

Steve.

Once they start walking, you will find food on floors and smeared handprints everywhere. Toddlers and children create just as much, if not more of a mess. You should be able to count them.

Susan327
Level 2
Escondido, CA

I was confused about the notice, also.  I have a cleaner/helper who comes whether I have an Airbnb guest or not. We work together and I pay her $15/hour. She is a student supplementing her school costs (lives at home with parents) and $15 is a generous wage for her since the other available jobs in the community pay much lower. I believe this is a living wage.  I agree that it's good to pay a generous wage with consideration for the type of work that is being done - it's not the same for all of us, for different types and sizes of properties, etc.  For instance, I have a small granny flat.  I do the really detailed work when I have a guest coming because it's my reputation on the line as a host.  I also do most of the "icky" work because I wouldn't be willing to do someone else's "icky" work for $15/hour.  The golden rule, and all.  So, I agree with the Living Wage Cleaning Pledge in spirit, but I oppose the idea that there is a one-size-fits-all dollar amount that is an appropriate way to execute it.  Not sure what I will do with the pledge, but think it's a good conversation to be having.  As Airbnb hosts, we are up against a lot of types of resistance to our businesses and it's good for all of us to be "good neighbors" in the local community.

@Susan327, I know what you are saying, however, with as much as we hosts make, is $10/hr more than you pay REALLY that much more to pay to clean the flat that is "a small granny flat." where you do most of the "icky" work? Why not let HER do the icky work and pay for it? 

Just wondering... In places like CA we have min wages of $12/hr in many places, and Seattle (I believe) has $15/hr. Living wage is not about getting the employee that everyone can get - at the lowest amount. It's more about getting a great employee and paying them what they are worth. In my estimation, my cleaner is worth $25+. I don't have to do the grimy work that she's willing to do ... and in return? I pay her enough to live in the areas that she cleans. Heck, rent in Santa Rosa (where I am) runs from $1500 (one bedroom) to $3000 (house or 2-3 bedroom)!

I suppose that is the purpose. No offense meant, btw. Just trying to put things in perspective.

I went and looked at my listing and there is no number mentioned, a quick google suggest $12.24 for Colorado.

David

@David126:

http://livingwage.mit.edu/states/08 (circa 2017)

1 Adult, 1 child: $25.70

2 adults, 1 working: $19.19

No offense meant, but living wage means living, not living alone and childless. I realize I am left-leaning but I kinda think people outta be allowed to procreate. 🙂