The living wage cleaning pledge??

Tina134
Level 2
Zanesville, OH

The living wage cleaning pledge??

I just read through the email I received about the cleaning pledge and paying a living wage, I'm a bit confused as to where the living wage was figured.  The email says at minimum $25 an hour if they are self employed and $15 if they work for someone else.  Does this seem off to anyone else?  My husband does not even make $25 an hour and we live in Ohio. USA.  

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for paying people what they are worth but this just seems off.   And what of those of us who clean our own rooms?  What if we do not have the pledge notice on our pages?  Does this not limit our search potential? 

43 Replies 43

Since I did not get the email, can someone point me to where we're supposed to "pledge"? 

I have the best response of all to this pledge. My neighbor is a host, who is listed as a Christian, and she took the living wage pledge. She was told to cease and desist because our city does not allow bnb but yet still booked her home. After her guest left, she cleaned the house and booked it again. When the next people left, she cleaned her home again. So I guess my question is how is this pledge monitored. My thought Is to let a news media monitor it

Chandra, stalk your neighbors much?   EEK!  Thank god I have normal neighbors. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

My guess is that most all hosts pay a living wage.  For cleaners to come to our home, we must pay a premium.

I'm sure many hosts know that dumb look when we ask our cleaners to come work for 2 hours - exactly at 11:00 am. (The cleaner thinks "**bleep** that's exactly in the middle of my work day")

We are not corporations that can promise a 40 hour work week and steady employment. So we must pay a premium.

I depend on the reliability of my cleaners, so I pay a premium.

I let my housekeeper bring her infant - something a corporation will not do.

So I am proud of the living wages we are paying.

However, Airbnb is misguided by its arbitrary defintion of $25/hour as a living wage.

For a corporation that talks about cultural diversity, it is trying to shove down their "California" definition of living wage onto places that don't have the economic engine that is San Fran.

Ama-and-Chris0
Level 2
Massachusetts, US

I live in a high wage state (Massachusetts) and pay my cleaner $25 an hour... unfortunately I didn’t receive the email... so how do I join the pledge?

the pledge isn't going to help you one bit in getting more guests. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Yeah when did airbnb decide it can tell hosts how much to pay for cleaning? Why would a guests even care how much a cleaner was paid? They just expect a clean place to stay. They don't care beyond that. 

I am a co-host / cleaner for an Airbnb property. I agreed to a flat rate of $40 per cleaning ,but I really had no idea of what I was in for. This has included hot tub maintenance, getting supplies, and laundry. When a couple stays at this property, it about evens out but the majority of the time it is families with lots of children who make messes, and go through a lot of laundry. Most of the time, I have to take Dirty Laundry to my own home and spend my evenings doing it because we're simply is not enough time to do everything that needs to be done. $25 an hour does seem a little bit spendy but you might want to consider offering a flat rate to your cleaner. And try not to assume that each guest is going to leave your property in the same condition that they walked into it, because they won't. Have one of your friends with a big family go stay at your property for a few days and then see how long it takes you to clean that property. If you want your cleaner to do the laundry, time how long it takes to a load of laundry. If you are asking them to do anything other than just clean up the property, then add a reasonable amount for each project they have to do. If you are cleaning your own property, remember that your time is also worthwhile. When people are on vacation, it cost money. I would not recommend renting out your property for a week, and then charging $30 to clean it up. The longer they stay, the bigger the mess and the more people that are with the group is going to be a huge factor for cleaning. There are more beds to flip more towels to wash more towels to wash Etc

@Shannon232 Boy, does this piss me off. The owner is taking complete advantage of you for the size of the place. Period! My place has an extra bed, sofa sleeper 1-2 Pack-N-Plays and 2 full baths with one tub and seperate shower. I pay $50 an hour for my 2 person team, they are part of my Wedding Venues janitorial staff and on my payroll as hourly employees. I use them to clean the rental also. It usually takes them 4 hours on average. So I am paying $200 per clean. I sleep up to 12 and have 5 pain in the a$$ ceiling fans that they need to clean after every stay, so that adds to the time they spend. 

You really need to renegotiate with the owner. I doubt you are even earning the minimum wage paid to a McDonald's worker when all is said and done, plus your not getting the benefits they get and my employees get like health insurance for one. The owner is well aware they is not paying you what theu should be paying, it would be impossible for her not to know. I would start looking for another co-hosting and cleaning job if she is not open to adjusting the amount to a fair and decent wage. What % are getting for co-hosting? I'll almost bet that's too low also.

Also you should not be paying to use your own washer and dryer. That is costing you money out of the lousy $40 they give you as it's your water, electric, gas and wear on your appliances.

@Shannon232 I am even more upset on your behalf now. This owner is charging $45 cleaning, but adds an extra $15 per guest after 4. This is their weekday rates in August as all her weekends are booked. She should be ashamed of herself! I am sure her weekend rates are higher. 

$187 for 4

$202 for 5

$217 for 6

$232 for 7

$247 for 8

$262 for 9

If she refuses to give you more I would leave them high and dry with guests booked immediately and tell them to call you when they wants to pay you a proper fee. They will be more willing to accomodate your request for more money when they finds out what they have to pay someone else to get it cleaned and also find out they don't run erands or bring the laundry home to so. It is outragous the amount of money they are making and the pittance she's giving you. Your utilies and applicances, your car and gas running errands for her, etc. I would get some back bone and stand up to them. No job is worth this. You are bacsically working for nothing, while they enjoy the fruits of your labor basically free of charge. Without you their 5* rental goes to a 1* in a heart beat without them paying what they should.

I am having a similar problem.  I was cleaning a rental 6 beds, 3 story, 5 decks at the beach. I bring own supplies and equipment.  I do the laundry on site but have had to take some home because of not enough time. 

The property manager who claims to be owner but is not is in Los Angles the rental is in San Diego and her "team" is in the Phillipines.  I was giving wrong info and bid job at 100.00. Did it once and told them it had to be more. Asked for $150.00 and was told $140.00 was high as they can go so I agreed. 

I got the job through turnover bnb and was paid right away the original 100.00 after each clean minus 5.00 fee. 

The rest I was to bill to property manager who only pays once a month.  I started in June did 2 cleans and billed the additional 40 each in July but was not paid had some excuse.  I did 3 more cleans that involved the guest from hell dirtied ever sheet and towel there, partied non stop the whole stay etc place was a mess and they left late.  Then the team goes ahead and takes an early check in charges guest 200 doesn't tell us they show up irratated we don't know about it and we have to finish with them there in the way and pissed off.  The previous guests had ruined the already low quality bath towels also. 

The property manager had asked me to start inspecting her other properties for her and greeting guests and I was to do that in PB that day by 4.  So I left went and did that then went to Target and bought all new towels 133.00 worth and paid for them myself. I went back to rental I was working on delivered them then had to clean urine from one of the decks that had been used as a bathroom. 

The cleaning fee charged for this unit is 342.00 yet I was told 140 was max they could pay me. They charge from 75 to 200 for early check in and tell guests it is to bring in additional cleaner to clean in less time.  She took the fair pay pledge.

When I asked how much to bill for the inspecting i did, early check in, taking about 7 loads of laundry home and using my soap etc. I was ignored.  I kept asking and it turned into an ordeal was told they frowned upon taking laundry home even though she told me on a group call to do this when needed. I was then told a early check in is a standard 2 people clean at reg price. And inspecting and meeting guests is part of the clean.

So when I asked for more money on an upcoming early check in I was replaced.

This would all be bad enough.  They are liars and cheats but worst of all I was never paid any of it.  Made excuses for a couple of days then just started ignoring me.

What can I do? I went to airbnb they can't help. Labor board is for employees. They had me as contractor. The only thing I can see is get atty but is it worth it for $600.00.  I don't see how they can justify not paying me back the 133.00 I paid for the towels.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jeanie Belcher

San Diego Ca 

I am not paid a co host percentage at all. Thank you for all of your advice. I am definitely going to take it.

In response to Tina’s post on Arbnb living wage. You are absolutely right the article is off. Self employed’s are charging $30/hr. 
In addition IRS says if you hire a self employed person and you tell them what you want cleaned in other words not a business you are technically an employer and must withhold social security taxes from their wages and you also have to pay employers social security taxes. This would not apply if you hire a regular licensed cleaning business who have set areas they clean