The most unusual Airbnbs

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The most unusual Airbnbs

PC1555_OoaFreshPrinceOfBelair_040_RET_HighRes.jpg

Hello, everyone,

News broke the other day that Airbnb is giving residents of Los Angeles the chance to stay in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air mansion. The cherry on top? Will Smith will be their actual host! That is certainly the right way to mark and celebrate a 30 year milestone since the show first aired.

This also reminded me a while back when @Huma0  shared that fans of BBC's show Killing Eve could rent Villanelle's apartment on Airbnb. And since most of us can only dream of faraway trips right now, I thought it was a good time to discover some of the most unusual Airbnbs on the platform and take a virtual holiday.

1. For the movie buffs

443266045_Final-Comms_Exterior_Hero.jpg

443266045_Final-Comms_Interior_2.jpg

Remember the trips to the video store, and going through the racks to find that perfect VHS or DVD for the night? If you lived in the US, chances are that video store was a Blockbuster. Fast forward to the age of Netflix, YouTube and many others, and there is only one Blockbuster remaining in Oregon. The good news is you can take a trip down memory lane, and sleep there, while you have unlimited access to all its titles (and snacks)! Now that’s an epic movie night in.

2. For the LOTR fans

LOTR 2.png

Continuing on the movie theme, if you are a fan of Lord Of The Rings, you can actually stay in one of the hobbit houses. All the details from the set are there, and you’ll also have some great hikes on the hills as well as scenic views of Lake Chelan.

3. For those who wanted to become pilots 

plane 2.png

plane 3.png

Why travel on a plane when you can stay in one? Just 2 minutes from the beach, this plane turned-Airbnb can sleep up to four people, without having to pay the hefty business class price tag. During summer, there’s also water-slides and a swimming pool.

4. For the adventurous types

Fondettes, France.jpg

Travelling an hour outside of Paris could get you in one of these sleeping pods (five in total) where you have to climb on nets to get in and out of it. They are located inside a forested property and there are central cabins with bathrooms, a pool and a greenhouse.

5. For the REALLY brave ones

Pelkosenniemi, Finland.jpg

Yes, that is a real igloo. It’s in Finland just on the edges of the Arctic Circle. And yes, there are extra warm sleeping bags inside, although you are advised to bring your own thermal wear.

What do you think, would you stay in any of these listings? Have you seen any other unusual listings to add to the list?

Thanks,

Nick

34 Replies 34
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I want to live inside that potato! Too bad it doesn't have a couch. Missed opportunity to literally be a couch potato if you ask me @Emilia42 

PS I promise no more - bad - jokes about this 🙂 

You're a clever one @Nick 😁

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Emilia42  no! Now I want to go to Boise.  That is so cool. And the interior is super cute. Though I am not sure I would love going outside every time I needed to use the bathroom. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 I had to google what a 'caboose' was - it looks lovely! 

The inside of the potato could not be any more different to the outside - quite the contrast. I'm adding 'stay in a potato' and 'caboose' to my bucket list once travel is back on the cards 😃

Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

Here is one that I think would be neat to try if you are a camper. https://abnb.me/JjKedlvHY9

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

We have some ot them around:

Air-Sofia

Air SOfia Golf and Hotel. Not sure where they are listed.

otel-info-image-1

It's not a ship, it's a building. Ravda, near the Balck Sea.

zx860y484_1764124

A house near Sofia. The owner is...almost normal.

55b78dd4e23ed

Floating restaurant Kardzhali dam.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh wow! @Dimitar27 

is the snail looking one really a house, or maybe a kindergarten?  

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing! 

Now I desperately want to meet the owner 🙂 @Dimitar27 

Strange person, almost criminal. In the middle 90-s there was a fraud scheme with new buildings. Some apartments being sold before the building is completed. Cheaper....but risky. Some kind of Financial pyramid. This man's company never started to build 2 or 3 completely sold buildings and somehow he succeded to avoid the jail. More then 120 families never got their new homes. And never got their money back, of course.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

what a crook @Dimitar27 

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

The Fresh Prince House is such a cool idea.  Lucky for the LA residents who have the chance and meet the guidelines.  Really cool idea 🙂 Love the interesting and different places listed in the threads too.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick 

Thanks Nick, great thread......

People come up into the Adelaide Hills to get away from hustle and bustle.....and you can't get much further from 'hustle N bustle' than this.......

cabn-adelaide.jpg

Don't you just love the fire-pit seats!!!!!!

Then at the other end of the scale just a few Kms away in Stirling is this....Thorngrove Manor!

acb2ec80-b067-4b20-ac09-58c3980be158.s3.jpg

Cheers........Rob

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks you @Robin4 

The first one looks amazing. The fire-pit seats are great, as would be a small bbq there  (although not the safest of ideas for many different reasons). I think @Yadira22 will probably like that one also. 

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I want to stay in the potato. So fun!