The new math of daily pricing or how I figured out how to get bookings again...

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The new math of daily pricing or how I figured out how to get bookings again...

Since Airbnb price search on the web in North America is once again using base price only (not including cleaning fee) it's worth looking at how your price is split between daily rate and cleaning fee.

image.png

- In Seattle for a week night, $40 returns only about 20 entire homes; $50 about 60; and $60  over 200.

- Sadly Airbnb doesn't allow any other price ordering, so a result list of more than 20-30 is going to be too large to be worthwhile for a guest to search through. The guest will reduce price to find a smaller set.

- In the above case our ideal price is probably between $40-$50 for optimal discoverability

Clearly no host wants to rent out a place at $40-50 a night, so the answer is to then place the rest of the cost in the cleaning fee. $25-40 would be reasonable.

Even with this a long booking would reduce the balance from the cleaning fee, so the next step is to reduce the max number of nights for a booking to 2-4.

You are now all set to start getting bookings again 🙂

At the end of this process you Might wonder why Airbnb doesn't just show the total price during search as it did about a month ago !

1 Reply 1
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pete28

Pete we all have sympathy for this pricing issue that you have but, every day you post the same problem again and again, and in all other post which you contribute to, you bring this local pricing thing of yours into those discussions as well.

Mate we understand your problem and most of us have given answers to the best of our ability but you probably need to start pushing this barrow to the company rather than the community. We support you Pete but we can't alter this situation for you and by continually focussing us back on it each day your support is going to wane, and that would be a pity.

Please Pete, I am not trying to be unkind, I just think you need to find another method of attack, maybe through the Airbnb Facebook page, feedback or email to the upper echilons, their email addresses all come up in a google search.

If I could change the way the pricing of properties in your area are being displayed I would mate, but I can't and I am afraid I am out of suggestions.

Cheers.....Rob