The okay guest vs the excellent guest: do you rate differently?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The okay guest vs the excellent guest: do you rate differently?

Curious. 

Let's say you had a guest who was fantastic. Friendly and showed that they understood and respected the rules. Left the place so clean you barely could tell they stayed. Fun to communicate with and responsive. Positive. Self-sufficient. Maybe even left a nice note when they check out.

On your next stay you have a guest who is just okay. Doesn't respond to questions right away but will eventually. Asks about things that are covered in the listing, rules or house guide, etc, and its clear they did not pay attention. You really don't have to do extra hours of cleaning but there are things that could have been wiped up or taken care of before they left and they just chose not to. No major damage or anything, but not outstanding.

Do you rate these two guests the same? Does everyone who is not awful get 5 stars? Or do you differentiate between the top tier guests and the average ones?

15 Replies 15
Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I'm not too fussy. As long as my guests are reasonably quiet, relatively clean and respond to my texts then they get 5 stars from me.If it's a great guest I will also articulate how well their stay was. Likewise, I articulate how bad a guest's stay is if they weren't satisfactory. I dread 0 review guests and now have the "host recommendation" setting so I can screen these types and ask questions before allowing them here. If there is even the faintest hint they are not ideal, they stay elsewhere.