The one piece of advice I can give to all new hosts

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

The one piece of advice I can give to all new hosts

If I could only give one piece of advice to all new hosts it would be to spend one night in your space as if you were a guest.  Sleep, shower, eat breakfast, get ready for work, etc.  It's shocking how many little things wrong you find.  oops, no hand soap....dang, forgot paper towels....this door handle sticks and the knob on the toaster doesn't turn, etc, etc.  Maybe the bathroom mirror isn't well lit or the window shades don't block the morning light light very well.  This should be a requirement for all new hosts!  We thought we were all set when we started but after we spent the night, man oh man did we find things wrong! 

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ned-And-Laura0

Good suggestion.

Do i have to book it also on Airbnb ?  ;>)

@Emiel1  Yes, but make sure you give yourself a fair and honest review ;D

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Nice idea!

@Letti0 @Emiel0 @ Ned And Laura

Honest review suggestion: "I was shocked that the host did not provide hand soap, a door handle sticks and the toaster´s knob did not turn. I slept well, but my nightmare started early in the morning, when I was awaken by sunbeams on my face! Windows shades dont block the light! I went to the toilet and there was not hygienec paper! In dispair I thought paper towels would do but there was not any roll available!"  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds great @Ned-And-Laura0, love this topic! 🙂

I've heard a couple of other hosts mention they do this in past, I too think it is a great piece of advice. It sounds like you learnt a lot about your listing doing this. I imagine you also get to see how comfy your bed is and little things like do you have to get out of bed to turn the light of – which all adds to the experience.

Do you also plan to stay the night to check everything is working, once you have hosted for a while too?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie wrote:

Do you also plan to stay the night to check everything is working, once you have hosted for a while too?

Good idea!!

@Ned-And-Laura0

We did just that due to the fact our main house was having the hardwood floors done. We actually spent 4 day/nights in the apartment and learned a lot. Made us gainfully update our information binder and restock/upgrade some of the kitchen items. We were surprised at how uncomfortable our living-room chairs were. So bad that we replaced them with a new love-seat, an expense that we did not want to incur, but after sitting and watching TV, we realized it was necessary. We actually plan on doing it again as we venture into longer term rentals to make sure it is up to what we want our guests to experience.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ned-And-Laura0 My listing also serves as my personal guest space as well.  Of course having my friends stay not only made me proud of what I offer, but one friend made me aware that my toilet was low and difficult for her to use.  I have replaced it with a "comfort height" toilet.  Friends can be counted on to help you assess your place as well 

Belinda118
Level 1
Burrell Creek, Australia

nb Hi Linda, I'm reading these comments as I airbnb 2 properties.  A private note on your toilet. ./.. a low toilet is healther for bowel movements.  If you raise the toilet you could provide a foot stool to enable others to sit in a healthier position for bowel evacuation.   I am not meaning to sound crude but it is a true point.  The difference between east and west toilets. 

As airbnb hosts we need to cater to the masses so you have done the right thing.  Cheers, Belinda

Tomaz5
Level 3
Škofja Loka, Slovenia

Super great advice! We actually stay at our Airbnb apartment a lot. Especially off-season when fewer days get booked. During my stay in my own Airbnb, I have found a lot of things I can improve on. You just can't think on everything and that is the best way to test it out.

Jones5
Level 3
Covington, GA

That is the best advice! I often do that in between guests!~ Not just in the beginning. It helps me to see things that I may want to do to update and enhance the experience for my guests!~~