The "modern" bias and what "renovated" means

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The "modern" bias and what "renovated" means

I have to get this off my chest. I have seen several posts now which have discussed how an older home might not have updated features and that hosts of these homes need to "warn" guests. As an architecture buff and someone into historic preservation, allow me to impart a little information.

First, there is a "modern" (read: new construction) bias with some guests and even some hosts on Airbnb. Not to paint with a broad brush but many Americans and Asian guests seem to subscribe to the idea that if a place wasn't built in the last 5 years its old and somehow inferior. There are plenty of spots for these guests to book to meet their criteria.

For the guest who may be on the fence,  please note that just because a house or guest spot may be older, doesn't mean it is not updated for modern life. Many older homes are fully renovated which involves installing systems to increase personal comfort like central air conditioning and heating, or the stuff of HGTV envy like updated appliances, stone or easy clean counters, deep sinks (the trend toward the farmhouse or Belfast sink is actually based in a very old design), big closets, more than one bathroom, etc. etc. In our listing we even have the coveted "open plan" living/kitchen/dining. A thoughtful renovation of an older space can bring it up to modern living standards. And a host can add things like new furniture, smart TVs, up -to-date bedding, to to further complete the transformation. I have seen some amazing, careful renovations during my Airbnb journeys. There is definitely something to be said for combining the charm of an older space with the touches that make 2019 life easier. 

The ONLY thing I would say about a renovated older home that sometimes can be a deal breaker is that they often have stairs. Sometimes these stairs are steep. It can be very difficult to redesign stair cases in an old house just based on the footprint of where those stairs need to go. Moving a staircase can be cost prohibitive. If a guest is stair averse, it may be best to look for a one level accommodation whether it be modern or older. 

I love love love old houses.  In some cities that is pretty much all there is to chose from! 

15 Replies 15
Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

It only works if the potential guest READ the listing. LOL

I've got a 110+ year old home. I share one room out of it. We have one bathroom downstairs. I have stairs. I have all that in the listing and STILL get dinged for it. People are even bold enough to put it in the public comments, "I should have read the listing ..." "The one bathroom downstairs ..." "stairs ..." 

I am not remodeling the house to appease guests. I'm sharing my home, where is, as is. What happened to the notion of living like a local? 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.