The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

Answered!
Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

The "new" host review form for guests to rate hosts

I just saw this on a FB hosting group and was shocked at how tedious this process has gotten for guests. I have several comments and questions.

1. Is this standard for ALL guests of ALL properties, or is this just aimed at select guests of select listings in order to verify the listing amenities, etc? This is literally 10 pages of questions (on mobile at least). 10 pages!

2. If this is standard practice now, well, wow. Does ABB expect guests to go through this whole thing every stay? ABB is pushing owners to get reviews get reviews get reviews....and then makes the get review process this cumbersome? I wouldn't be surprised if guests stop leaving reviews.

3. The entire "compares to your expectations" part seems like it will actually make the rating system WORSE than it was before. Guests already had trouble with ABB's interpretation of what 5 stars meant. We had owners pushing for 5* because ABB treated 4* like a bad rating. Now this new system looks even MORE geared to getting low ratings. Imagine you have a listing that just looks stunning....all the amenities in the world....picture perfect. The guest stays there with HIGH expectations and the owner delivers. "About the same as expected". That looks like a 3* rating equivalent. Even "better than expected" would only get this incredible listing a 4* equivalent rating.

----------- I think AirBnB just made their rating system WORSE!

rev1.gif

rev2.gif

rev3.gif

1 Best Answer
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Emily352,

You are entirely right. Having said that though, there is a mathematical law, called: “Wisdom of the crowd”. So, when Airbnb can acquire enough answers from “semi”-experts (guests), the truth will slowly, but definitely bubble to the surface. Even better than what is actually listed by the owner (the expert). And still even better, when the individual answers may be of a somewhat poor quality.

Small example: In order to enter a property, one may have to enter 2 small doorsteps. An owner may consider this to be a flat entry. Whereas some guests may consider these as stairs. Maybe at best as a non-flat entry.

At Airbnb it is all about numbers. And they are aware of probability rates, influence of larger numbers, etc. They know, when to say: It is too close to call.

So don’t be surprised, when certain amenities will automatically be added or removed from a listing in due time.

A lot of hosts hate the location rating (hosts can’t move their property. Usually the location is also clearly listed or mentioned too). But for guests (so also pricewise), this is invaluable information! Even a distance of about 50 meters can make a huge difference! The view from one apartment may be marvelous, whereas the view from the adjacent apartment may be a bit cluttered. Another apartment may be at main street, whereas the adjacent apartment, is just around the corner.

All they are trying to achieve, is to capture basic human emotions in a mathematical model.

Don’t worry: All this data is not just meant to look at the hosts, they will also use this data to look at guests as well!

I.e.: When Airbnb notices that a particular area/accommodation in ‘general’ is rewarded lower by middle-aged guests from France. But being rewarded higher by younger guests from the UK. They can and will use this information in the provision of search results to potential guests.

End goal: As many bums on beds as possible, at a sustainable price. I would love to see that 1-page KPI report, which BC finds on his desk, every morning!

View Best Answer in original post

163 Replies 163

@Donna240   haha. One guest asked me if I painted all the red seeds on my Manila palm. Like 100's of them. 

No guest has ever mentioned in a review the fresh flowers I leave in their room, but several have told me how lovely and what a nice touch they were. Even if guests don't mention the little touches specifically in their reviews, I think it gives an overall impression that we cared.

I  have to agree with you; they take notice of the small things, and we do care. One guest came to our foggy city without a coat, so I loaned her one. I'm hoping she will not mention that or expectations could be created. 

What other platforms? Im getting annoyed with ABB - always pushing us to lower our rates to “neighbourhood average”, give discounts etc. And now i see their fee to guests tops out at 20%. That is highway robbery. I remember when it was 12% max. Give me names of other platforms.

• VRBO.
  • Booking.com.
  • HomeAway.
  • Flipkey.
  • Homestay.
  • Wimdu.
  • Go With Oh.
  • OneFineStay
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

There is an existing thread about how many fewer reviews some of us are receiving since AirBNB has rolled out "The Review Inquisition." The search function is so broken that I have been unable to find it for you. Maybe someone else has better search-fu today.

@Susan151 I had a 100% review rate until the past three guests and was wondering what was going on. Now I see this may be a part of the reason.  

Same here, last 3 guests..............no review zip 0

Never happened before, 7 years hosting.

This explains why all of a sudden my guests weren't reviewing me, but leaving me great reviews in the guestbook.

Jan384
Level 3
Dübendorf, Switzerland

Oh WHAT this seems crazy... So if guests already have high expectations due to being superhost and having tons of exceptional reviews you'd basically get a 3star rating on overall??? That seems CRAZY.

It definitely reinforces our new approach with reviews... After each guest we send them a message asking them to review us and we let them know that we'd like to stay superhost and that this requires a 4.8 star average (we rewrote the text like 20x until we thought it doesn't come off as begging or coercing guests).

Hi Jan, Would you mind sharing your text? Thanks

Giulia297
Level 7
Durham, NC

So the take away from this is to make the listing sound unappealing so that guests will say that their stay was better than expected? This is crazy. I have several reviews stating "exactly as described" which is how it should be- when you're traveling you should know what to expect.

Loring1
Level 6
Somers, MT

@Giulia297nailed it. If I do my job and accurately describe everything in my listing, I SHOULD only receive a 3 star rating. The guest certainly should expect exactly what has been described, nothing less and nothing more. ABB positions this whole rating thing like a five star rating is the standard when it should be a rarity....

My argument the whole time is that a 5 star rating is worthless. It should be a below/at/above standard rating and that is it. Why not go to  a 100 star rating!?!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Timothy19   You're missing two more screens. The would you recommend this host one and then finally the public review... There are also drop down boxes to when it's less than 5* for explainations on why. More and more people will start to say forget it after the first 3 or 4 screen. Also it's so easy to make an error on the phone app and check off the wrong thing if your not paying extra attention to what you're doing. This will end up hurting more than helping AirBnB with their marketing information demands and spying on hosts tactics. 

Jan384
Level 3
Dübendorf, Switzerland

Oh hehe, those 2 screens would have been rather important to understand the whole process :).

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

I think the whole series of screens is described here (obviously it will show differently in the App): 

https://indieweb.org/AirBnB_Reviews

And as I've got a review upcoming. I will ask the guest to get this confirmed.

It really is inquisition style!

What was wrong with the previous version? Don't fix what ain't broken!

Airbnb is harvesting data on our backs, and we don't get to see any of the results!