The staff of Airbnb canceled my reservation on my behalf by request of guest and even didnt call me

The staff of Airbnb canceled my reservation on my behalf by request of guest and even didnt call me

I am very unhappy with the service key manager who cancelled a reservation on my behalf by request of the client!

I never say I can't host the guest, I offered just one more option what can give me the opportunity to have easier early check-in and very late check out by request of the guest. My interests and rights were totally ignored. More I got after treated message about my account can be suspected if I will cancel reservation again! But I didn't cancel any and more, I told to the guest I don't go to cancel his reservation clear as the penalty is higher than possible revenue!

I think the staff who provide such neglect service cant stay in Airbnb!

6 Replies 6
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Olena18

Oh Olena, that is terrible but I am afraid it does happen just as it has to you.!

YOU NEVER ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR A GUEST CANCELLATION!

What has happened here Airbnb ahve told the guest the only way they can get all their money back is to get the host to accept responsibility for the cancellation!

You will get an email that looks a bit like this......

Cancellation notice.png

You think, brilliant, Airbnb are taking care of it for me and I don't have to do anything......WRONG!

What this is saying if you do not respond and explain that if the guest wants to cancel she/he will have to do it....you are prepared to host the reservation! Unless you do that, the company will assume that you are accepting responsibility for the cancellation and you will be penalised.

Call Airbnb and see if they will reverse this penalty for you.

The number to call in France is  +33 1 84 88 40 00 and there is a possiblity that you can get some help!

So sorry this has happened to you Olena.

Cheers.....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Olena18

Olena, you will have the right to leave a review response to that cancellation notice. There will be a item which will say . 'Leave a public response'  under that notice. Explain there that it was actually the guest who wished to cancel but didn't want to loose any money and made you accept responsibility for the reservation. In many instances if you explain why you could not proceed with the hosting, future guest will understand and be more forgiving!

Cheers......Rob

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Olena18 in your place I would call Airbnb and speak to a different CS rep, insist on escalating until they remove the cancellation from your record.

Mark1632
Level 1
Hayward, CA

I have just experienced the same issue.  Basically, we had a place booked to stay. Made half the payment which was fine.  We then came into a financial bind unexpetedly and asked if we could get a extension on the rest of the payment.  We were given in written confirmation July 3rd from the customer service team.  We were also commnicating with the host who lack there of was not communicating back.  Yesterday , July 2nd at 5pm PST time the reservation was canceled.  The host  failed to communicate with us and AIRBNB has been anything but a help.  So basically,  the host has already rented out the place and didn't refund us back our $750!!!! Our trip is next week.   I'm ready to lawyer up. Does anyone on the forum have any suggestion on what we can do to get our money back?  I have refrained from naming the host but am tempted to out this person since he took our money and didn't even communicate with us at all ( oh and he rented the place out as well as we don't see the listing anymore)  We are beyond displeased with airbnb service 

@Mark1632  For the payment issue, you have to contact Airbnb because Airbnb handles it. There is nothing a host can do.

But the host could have replied you that he cannot do anything about the payment. I am not sure who canceled your reservation. I guess that it was Airbnb because Airbnb could not get your second half of payment in time. If a host canceled your reservation, he would not be able to rent out his listing. And he had to pay fine as well.

Airbnb made the cancellation policies. I am not sure what kind of cancellation policy the host chose. If it is strict cancellation policy, you would not get the first payment back if the cancellation was not made within 48 hours of booking. You can read Airbnb's strict cancellation policy to find more details. There are chance that you could get the refund outlined by Airbnb in their cancellation policy statement, which are extenuating circumstances.

We have gotten no reply or communication from the host at all which I think is very unprofessional.  This morning we have been on the phone with airbnb for the past 2 hours and now we are being told that the July 3rd deadline was in UTC time??? There was no mention of that and the customer service agent  knows that we were renting this property in California.  I know these people sit in front of the computer all day so I'm sure its not hard to google California time zone.  And no the canelllation was made a week in advance.  Our trip is next week!  We have 6 people relying on us.