There's cleaning... and then there's cleaning

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

There's cleaning... and then there's cleaning

I read on a thread recently – sorry, can't remember where – about some guest saying that if they were paying a cleaning fee that meant they didn't have to lift a finger...

Whut?!

OK, full disclosure: cleaning isn't my forte or my joy! But since we started hosting we realised we'd have to raise our standards, given that we're sharing our home with others. I figure the same applies to guests.

To my mind, someone using the cleaning fee as an excuse for not doing ANY house-keeping is probably a lazy slob.

I reckon there's slow muck and quick muck; I WOULD'NT expect a (short term) guest to do any dusting, vacuuming, shower-cleaning, (window-cleaning!) etc. I WOULD expect any guest to clean up after any sudden, accidental spillages... (or at least let me know so I could help!).. cos, otherwise they're just wallowing in their own filth, if they're staying for any length of time!!

Jeebus, it's just common sense.

30 Replies 30
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think the guest you cite, @Patricia55, is going to be pretty dire at the whole homesharing gig, not just cleaning. Anybody who leaves a mess at my place gets short shrift when it comes to their review, but too many fellow hosts either don't bother or are 'frightened' to tell the truth. 

I'll air peoples' dirty laundry if they leave it at mine!

Patricia55
Level 10

@Gordon0 

Good on yer!

Actually, the (few) guests who've been lacking in the cleanliness department, have been quite charming elsewhere - but I don't fall for that any more!!  Haha, give me common courtesy over faux-charm any time 😉

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Patricia55 

When I do the welcome your I show them where the coffee, tea and other kitchen items are telling them they are welcome to enjoy anything. I also show them where the cleaning items are, explaining that they are responsible for keeping the area tidy. One or two have had to be reminded but that all. 

Patricia55
Level 10

@Beth80 

Well done for keeping them in check - you are good!

Tbh, the vast majority of our guests are well-behaved... it therefore takes me aback when we get a bad-un...

PS We haven't had anything like the entitled guest who says they "wouldn't lift a finger"... 😕

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Most of my guests are pretty tidy but maybe because I'm sharing my home. Good idea to show them where the cleaning stuff is. 

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

@Patricia55 

As a guest I keep every place I stay clean. I appreciate and definitely prefer when host keep cleaning supplies visible so I know where they are.

A host should always have paper towels, dish soap, sponge, broom, dust pan, etc. 

Even signage stating something like "Please feel free to use the cleaning supplies provided to help keep this area clean. Thank you."

Patricia55
Level 10

@Lisa1831 
Thanks for being a great guest re cleanliness!.. but also re your general profile, which (slightly spookily) is a bit of me! Please come and stay with us 😉

@Patricia55 

I've said this in other posts before....... imo "cleaning" and "cleaning up after yourself" are completely different concepts.

I would never expect any guest in my home (whether it's an Airbnb guest or my sisters or my friends) to "clean" but I expect any decent human being who is old enough to feed themselves and wipe their own a$$ to "clean up after themself" at all times regardless of where they are. 

Common sense isn't very common. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @Jessica-and-Henry0 .  As respect to me and my home, I expect ANY person, guest, friend, family, to tidy up after themselves.  Period. I ask that that the guest do not leave anything outside their room and to place all dishes in the sink.  I do not ask them to clean anything in their room.  I prefer to assess the space myself and clean to my standards.

I put it right in my listing that I expect my apartment to be returned the way they got it. We use the modest cleaning fee ($50) to pay for help with laundry. It actually takes four hours to clean the apartment and iron the linens. So we subsidize the rest.

Almost all of our guests return the place tidied up. What I have figured is that they see the review and they may check to see the reviews I leave for guests and I also comment when someone has left my apartment spotless.

Those who don't - don't tend to review me (had a few) probably because they know what I would say in return. I've recently had two guests that had to leave at 5am to make early morning flights and they both cleaned before they left. Those guests are golden! 🙂

Do you have a way to ensure the guests have cleaned according to your standards?  Apparently you are the luckiest host to have guests that actually read and follow your rules!

We have 2 Airbnbs, one in our home, and one in a condo in the mountains. We don't charge a cleaning fee; we do our own cleaning. I'm afraid if we charged a cleaning fee people in the condo would not do any basic cleaning after themselves, leaving dishes in the sink, not wiping counters or stovetop during their stay, etc. Guests in our home may leave their dishes in the sink and we'll take care of it.  M.E.

Patricia55
Level 10

Tbh, it's the sheer gall of people - saying that because they paid a cleaning fee, that entitled them to leave a place like a pig sty - that makes my blood boil.* Well, it's either gall, or obtuseness, maybe they've always had someone else cleaning up after them, so it doesn't even occur to them to clean, or they haven't a clue how to do it! (Sorry to be repetitive, I know this topic has been covered before – I just needed to have a wee rant.)

*Think I'd better take a break from reading such threads! Sure I'm using this forum as a distraction from reading about all the other depressing sh*t that's going on in our country, and the world. I need to find a new distraction 😕

Dear Patricia, try watching old Monty Python shows or reading Terry Pratchett & eating something particularly delicious  & decadent. These are tough times and a little harmless disctraction can keep our heads from exploding! XO Sally