Thermostat battle

Kristen21
Level 2
Ellicott City, MD

Thermostat battle

I have a guest in my apartment for 3 nights. I have the thermostat behind a locked case, because after having most guests ignore my request to not adjust the thermostat without asking (in the summer, they would adjust it to very low temperatures causing major damage and expenses), I decided it was in my best interest to set it at a reasonable temperature and lock it up.

I have a guest in my unit who is complaining that the temperature (68 degrees Farenheit) is too hot, and she is being very adamant about having the thermostat unlocked. I said I need it to remain locked, but I will change the temperature to the degree she would like. I also said she could open windows and use the large fan I provide if she needs it to be cooler (outdoor temps are about 40-50 F).

I offered to stop by this afternoon, which she didn't respond until two hours later, and said, I'd really appreciate if you unlocked it. First, I'm not even in the area now, so I'm going to have to go later. But now, I'm feeling very concerned why she needs it to be unlocked. Is she going to turn on the AC? Is she going to try to crank the heat and then lower it (also hard on a residential AC unit)? 

What is the best resolution? Should I just oblige her? She's been very demanding about this--hardly friendly--and I feel like I'm being bullied. I've NEVER had anyone complain that 68 degrees is too hot, and since I have ways to cool down the unit, I feel like she's being very unreasonable. 

This is a private apartment in a prime location in the city, and she's paying a very reasonable/economical price for the property. If she was paying a prime rate, I may be more willing to oblige. At this rate, I'm worried that I'm going to end up paying for her stay in my property.

Thanks for your consideration!

14 Replies 14
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Kristen21: You could install a wi-fi enabled thermostat that way you can see the temperature and control the system if needed. We did that after we had people cranking the AC in the summer and then going out for the day.

What's the best immediate solution? I am looking into a WIFI thermostat, but in the meantime, is the right thing to let her have access to it???

No.  Don't give her access.  Go in at a mutually agreeable time and lower the temperature.  She shouldn't even be complaining at this level since its cold outside and all she has to do is open a window.

@Kristen21 

Don't give in!!!!!

If she starts complaining tell her to find a place where she can play with the thermostate....

but just say it in a polite kinda way 😉

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I would NOT give her access to it. She asked for a cooler temp, you offered to set it at whatever temp she wants. Case closed.

She is being a bully. Don't give in!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Can you blame your insurance (they have big shoulders) or something, @Kristen21?

"Sorry, Elsa, we would love to be able to provide our guests free access to the thermostat, but our insurance won't allow it. Let's set a time for me to meet you and make the adjustment. It's no trouble at all."

It's likely close to the truth. If tinkering with the controls does major damage, what insurance company wants that?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I, too, would be uncomfortable at 68 degrees. Would you really rather her open a window in 40 degree temps then turn the heat down? That sounds really expensive!

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I have to agree with @Emilia42  I would hate to be uncomfortably hot and not be able to control the temperature.  At least if you're cold, you can wear more clothes etc.   Honestly, I would be glad for a guest to save energy and expense!    But yes, she doesn't get to set the terms.  I agree with those who advise to go there and adjust the thermostat yourself.   I wouldn't even negotiate,  I would just say "I am coming to the property to fix this, what is the best time for you?"   

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

68 F / 20 C is too hot? Great 🙂 lower the temp at whatever she likes, lock the thermostat and save on heating.

Of course ,if she decides to book your place again in the middle of summer - decline, she would be too expensive to cool down  🙂

ps

of course maybe infact she wants higher temperature but knows you wouldn't allow it so she is lying and wants thermostat unlocked.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Y’all are all nicer than me, I’d probably be saying “it seems you’d prefer to be staying elsewhere.”

also, I totally agree: get a WiFi thermostat & if all she has to do to cool off is open a window then this whole scenario doesn’t make sense. (Of course a guest cooling a house that you’re paying to heat sounds awful)

Ian-and-Sarah0
Level 1
Baton Rouge, LA

I would agree 68°F for the heat is too hot.  I would prefer just turning it off.  I recently had guests turning the cooling down to 65°F and I'm afraid it will freeze the AC, so I locked the temperature between 68 & 80 on the Nest I have installed.  This way, it can be turned on or off, but not outside of those temp ranges.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kristen21  Unreasonable guests will do unreasonable things.

In summer, they want the temperature to be at 65 F or lower while in Winter they want the temperature to be 75 F or higher. 

With the skyrocketing utility price, a monthly electricity bill could well be $300 or more per month. I think that it is a good idea to invest a smart thermostat, which costs around $200. Ecobee and Nest are two recommended brands. They not only can schedule the time for temperature but also can have sensors sensing if there are people inside the house. Therefore, temperature will be automatically adjusted for comfortable setting.

In addition, you can remotely monitor the temperature and adjust it if the guest setting is not proper when the guest is not in the house.

Thanks for your reply! I did finally get an Ecobee (my city's utility company provides them for free!) and it has saved me many headaches. I'm happy to be able to adjust it at a guest's request if I feel it's reasonable, and I can set ranges, so if they want to turn the heat down in the winter, they are free to do that. It has  been a HUGE convenience.

David4226
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

As long as you specified in your listing that the thermostat is not available to the guest, then I don't see a problem with your offer.  However, as a guest, I would normally expect to have access to a thermostat in an AirBNB if I have booked a "whole apartment" or "whole house" rental (not if I just have one room and there is single-zoning HVAC).  I would like to be able to adjust the temperature as needed (a little cooler at night than during the day, for instance).  I have stayed in rentals where there is no way to adjust the heat (e.g. old buildings in NYC) but I have generally known that in advance.