These emails annoy me 'We noticed that you received a lower rating than usual ....'

Deirdre56
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

These emails annoy me 'We noticed that you received a lower rating than usual ....'

As a host I've had a couple of these emails from Airbnb reminding me (painfully) that I've just received a poor review. They assume I'm at fault and provide a list of suggestions for ways I can improve my property and service to guests. Does anybody else find these emails annoying? On both occasions the guests were very difficult to host. One (who I think was a first time Airbnb guest) left a three page letter listing all her complaints. There was a light bulb not working, which I offered to replace but didn't get a reply, not enough plates to host her Christmas party (even though I supplied a box of baking items especially for her) and there was a used table cloth in the pantry that the cleaner missed. Her final remark was "get a new cleaner" and then she left the letter out for my very hard working cleaner to find and it made made her cry. I wish Airbnb wouldn't resort to these automatic prompts, they arrive just as I'm starting to get over a bad experience and only add insult to injury. 

2 Replies 2
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Deirdre56.

I do understand how you feel when a guest is less than stellar in behaviour or commentary. But you need to stay true to yourself and not have them undermine your confidence. Yes, it can be hard... but necessary.

THEY, the guest, have the problem, not you, so please review them honestly, as this persons reaction to small things that can happen appears over the top and writing a letter like that is bizarre...... 

If your cleaner read the letter, no matter how nice she is, she will have been reminded to check everything..... as for plates, always ensure the crockery and cutlery numbers match the guests. The bakeware should maybe be available in the space at all times, so now you have it.

When you get a bad review, you need to look at it objectively and work through the emotion and find any truth and the hype. The truth (if any) is constructive criticism that should help us improve how we perform. A good guest when small issues, should use the private feedback for this information. The hype or lies, are just that..... let the BS wash over you! Breathe.... 

As for the ridiculous and untimely emails from Airbnb, theses will not stop. They are computer generated and therefore aren’t really worth reading. I’ve started to look at them with humour!  The computer bot being the efficient little machine/ algorithm, receives the maths and fires them off at hosts. If you remember that, you’ll understand they arrive without knowing facts or individual scenarios. 

Yes they annoy because we have real feelings a computer can not understand. YOU must ignore this type of email. Learn to roll your eyes and laugh at them... 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Remember like playing a sport -  treat the bad guest as a bad shot you received. It’s time to think about only your next move, as the negative will affect the present.

Thanks Cathie, that is good advice and probably just what I needed to hear. It is about confidence isn't it, because we all have different types of properties and ideas about how to set them up. One of my most memorable stays was in a dusty old caravan on the rooftop of a bar in downtown Los Angeles. It certainly wasn't spotless or orderly, it was noisy and there were a lot of stairs, but the host was such a creative, quirky person it was an amazing space and location. In my case, I just want to clarify, the kitchen is already very well equipped, but I gave her an extra box of baking things like cake tins, a mixer, rolling pin, recipe books and measuring cups because I knew she wanted to do a lot of that kind of cooking, but she wanted double of everything so she had spares if things were in the dishwasher. It's disappointing because I enjoy hosting, either at home or for my Airbnb guests and always try to make it special, but I guess like you say, some people won't be happy no matter what you do. Thanks for your encouragement.