These heavy handed tactics need to stop

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

These heavy handed tactics need to stop

Guest booked in January. 7 nights in July. Cancelled 1st June and demanded a full refund because they decided house rules are ‘too restrictive.’ She received 50% refund.

Reminded her that she agreed to them at point of booking, and she had confirmed in message thread she was fine with all details.

I agreed IF I got a replacement booking I’d refund her the 50%. As a goodwill gesture.

Airbnb message me yesterday stating

’as you have a replacement booking, as per your message to guest, can we process the promised refund?’

No! The ‘replacement’  booking Airbnb mention is only for 3 days. This heavy pressure and manipulation has to stop.

i told the agent straight , I do not appreciate her misleading & misinformed messages. It is not a replacement booking with only 3 out of 7 nights booked.

And as I’m so tired of guests & airbnb playing these games, I am no longer prepared to offer anything more than a partial refund. So they get a refund for the 3 days I’ve so far rebooked. That’s it. Airbnb can refund the balance if they are so keen to placate this guest. I messaged guest suggesting she reads the whole listing next time. Done with her, extremely rude and entitled from the start. 

These type of guests need to start acting more responsibly. Read the listings. Airbnb need to stop facilitating this behaviour & respect a hosts cancellation polices. Maybe if enough hosts just say ‘no’ each time we feel manipulated or pressured by CS, *maybe* they will rethink these tactics? 

48 Replies 48

@Debora144 Try sending a Twitter message to @airbnbhelp.  They seem to be understaffed, but I do always get a response when I use Twitter.

Steven532
Level 6
Longford, Australia

While I haven't had heavy handed AirBnB involvement in cancellations, I have had subtle pressure but once I point out the to and fro in the host/guest chat, the pressure is gone.

I also operate with a strict cancellation policy and am very careful about how I communicate with guests. Unless there is a very extenuating circumstance, I provide a credit for forward booking, not a refund and I see little reason for 100% as you correctly said, they knew the rules.

Geraldine60
Level 10
Nice, France

I totally agree with you.  I am also sick to death of the manner in which guests are now behaving with their bullying and treating.  

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary703 

We have a ‘not before 5pm’ check in . I always ensure the listing is cleaned immediately a guest leaves, and it’s always ready by that time. 

If a guest same day books, and wants to arrive before. All I offer is a bag drop - give them the key and they need to return later. 

Airbnb is attracting so many new guests, the ones who are used to hotels and just think they can pitch up when they like. We just need to stick to our ‘rules’ but try to be flexible when we can.