Things your guests have accidentally taken?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Things your guests have accidentally taken?

Funny story. I recently hosted some very delightful older ladies for a surprise girls trip birthday. The organizer booked and was brand new to Airbnb. She had lots of questions-- did I have toilet paper? Pillows? Sheets? I think she must have been worried I wouldn't because she brought a lot of supplies with her that she later told me she didn't need. Apparently when cleaning to leave, her friend took a huge container of ground coffee that I keep in a tupperware container in the fridge. This would be difficult to miss but they had several boxes and coolers of food and supplies with them and thought they had brought it. The coffee is now being mailed back to me. I found it amusing-- you would have to see how big this container is to scratch your head and wonder how it made its way into anyone's supplies.

What have your guests accidentally taken? Did you get it back?

10 Replies 10
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

That's a cute story.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen often, but my guests have always been purposeful when taking my stuff though, and they've never returned anything.  It was all small stuff, but impacted stays for other guests: one setting of dinnerware (1 knife, 1 fork, 1 spoon, and one plate), plastic food storage containers, and a Roku power cable.

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

Hi there,

Ah yes, the giant container of ground coffee goes missing. And mysteriously, one couple can consume two gallons of olive oil within a five-day stay. We now give single-portions of "welcome treats" and I found it truly disheartening that I couldn't, for my own convenience, offer the larger bulk containers. Good on you for getting it shipped back. We've also learned that locals will take anything that isn't specifically marked as our property or a shared amenity with future guests. 

The Johnsons

I had a guest take one of everything in my apartment - literally, one of everything. 1 gold spoon, 1 gold fork, 1 large plate, 1 small plate, 1 bowl, 1 throw pillow, 1 FITTED SHEET (?!), 1 wine glass, 1 martini glass, 1 coaster (1 from each set)... the list goes on.

As you can imagine, I was absolutely mortified. I didn't know if it was some sort of joke, or if they truly thought I wouldn't notice. When I politely confronted the guest they simply said "ohh I forget them on the terrace" (the communal rooftop patio). Of course they were not there. I made a damage claim, they refused to pay, and AirBnB only reimbursed me the cost of the individual item... despite the fact most items came from entire sets (so I could not replace only the item stolen).

Has been my biggest disaster since I started hosting - and is an important lesson to always buy 2 of everything!!

Your story is decidedly far more adorable, especially that they are mailing it back 🙂

@Robyn351  I know this was terrible but it is so eccentric and strange.  What is going on with this guest?  A very specific form of kleptomania crossed with OCD?  A voice in the head that says take one of everything that comes in a set?  I'm quite sure you were not singled out and that in his or her house are a large assortment of things from all over.

My theory is that they had just moved out to get their own place and needed supplies 😂 They were younger, so that's the best I could come up with, that maybe they wanted it for their dorm room or something...though the fitted sheet through me off. Either way, I wasn't pleased! I carefully selected every item in the place so it was rather upsetting, but luckily the theme is "boho" so eclectic replacements don't seem out of place!

Natalie294
Level 6
California, United States

Last year we had a guest take the TV remote. They insisted they didn’t, but 2 days later told us they found it in their kid’s backpack so they mailed it back to us. Then three weeks later the exact same thing happened with another guest!

Both were willing to ship it back, but the guests who checked in immediately after were sadly stuck with no remote during their stay. After that second time we ordered a back up remote to have if it happened again, and of course now that we’re actually prepared with a back up plan, the original remote has never gone missing since 🙃

@Laura2592 

.....container of ground coffee that I keep in a tupperware container in the fridge. 

Just a few tips about storing ground coffee...... you really shouldn't store it in the fridge and opaque glass or ceramic airtight containers are better than plastic. Henry is a real coffee snob and I'm afraid it has rubbed off on me a bit 🤣 🤣 🤣

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-store-coffee-765325

Hilarious that they would think to mail the coffee back to you~~~ 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

uh, front door keys.

3 times.

Then we purchased a digital lock.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Beach umbrella - It was promptly returned 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Laura2592 , we had winter guests a few years ago fly into Toronto from Europe then drive here. The girlfriend's luggage had arrived but the boyfriend's hadn't. My husband lent him a few things: a heavy jacket, sweatshirt, gloves, hat, wool socks, flashlight. 

His luggage arrived on Day 2 and they checked out on Day 3. I cleaned after them and forgot that anything had been borrowed so didn't look for it. My husband remembered the things, but kept forgetting to ask me where they had been left. 

Weeks later a box arrived with everything inside, along with a note: When she discovered he still had my husband's things she said they should send them back. He said if my husband was stupid enough to trust a stranger then he deserved to lose them. 

Turns out that is a good way to lose a girlfriend. She grabbed the things on her way out the door...