Thinking about switching my rental option, need advice from the gurus!

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Thinking about switching my rental option, need advice from the gurus!

My life situation may be about to change dramatically. My husband has significant memory issues and may need to be in a more professional care environment soon. I am still of working age and will need to stay in the workforce for at least 5 more years, possibly more. My current home is in a vacation area. My place is a large cabin on the river with a detached carriage house with an apartment above. My original goal was that the carriage house would be a rental option, small and cute, mostly geared towards couples. Not a ton of income but not a ton of work, either. But now if I’m going to be alone here, I was thinking of moving into the carriage house and renting out the main house. I would probably do some significant upgrades first because the other rentals in my neighborhood are pretty stunning. 
So do you think it would be off putting for renters for the owner to be on the property? I do work so aren’t generally hanging around. 
Here is a pic of my place to give you an idea. The neighborhood requires detached buildings be connected to the main building, hence the crazy covered walkway. The main cabin is the one on left. This is prior to our purchase. 
D9A716C4-0C15-4473-8EC9-5693B5932496.jpeg

The cabin next door is a popular rental. It sleeps 12 and they charge about $500 per night. I can post the link to their property rental page if that is appropriate. 

7 Replies 7
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

First of all, I’m very sorry about your husband. Tough decision for you that I’m sure isn’t easy.

I don’t think it would be off-putting at all! You would be far enough away that your guests would feel they had the cabin to themselves, and yet you are close enough for them to reach out should some problem arise. Best of both worlds! It probably wouldn’t be much different than what you had planned originally, just reversed.

I have a friend who is renting her main house long term and living in her cottage, and the difference in size between her cottage and her house is much greater than yours. She’s done it for years and it works out great.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

So sorry to hear about your life circumstances. It sounds like a good choice for you to move into the smaller apt, less work for you personally in your daily life. Although it's sad to think about this transition for you and your husband. 

we live on a farm and have 3 airbnbs, 2 are sep cottages and one is half of the main house (has own entrance, bathrooms, living room, shares the main kitchen, for now with just my daughter living on site this is mostly fine). The one thing I do have is sep car parking for all my guests, and us. this was handy while covid was still a big concern but moving fwd I think it's a good idea 1) for reasons like covid and 2) so guests feel the space they have booked is all theirs.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Annette76 Have a look at our listings (click on our profile to see them). The three storey part of the house is where we live, the two storey part is split into 3 apartments. This set up is great as we have no issues with parties and can be available if there are any issues within seconds.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

So sorry to hear about your change in life situation. It sounds like a brilliant solution, just be clear in the description that the owner lives on-site and recognize that while you can charge significantly more, it will also likely be more work-- ideally in the vetting of guests and not in damages/cleanup.

If it were me, I would have clear rules that guests shouldn't block the driveway, so you can get to work without issue. 😅

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Hi @Annette76  very sorry to hear about your change of circumstances.  I wish you luck in figuring things out.

I highly recommend thinking about sticking with your original idea of using the above the garage apartment as the short term rental. 

First of all, if you do the main house, there are lots of other fish in that pool, if your surrounding neighbors are renting out larger places too.  Larger groups mean a lot more work. 

I often feel lucky that my place is a one bedroom with a capacity of 4. It keeps things much simpler, and I mostly attract couples or families with young kids. Lots of people may want to come to your area, but maybe don't need a larger place, and they're not going to want to spend the money on more bedrooms than they need. The smaller place means less work, fewer issues (like parties, extra unregistered guests, etc.), and you're a big fish in a smaller pool, if most of the places around you are larger. 

I'm an onsite host as well. I make that very clear in my property description, and also make very clear that my life goes on even with guests in residence, and that they will likely see me out and about on the property. There's plenty of space, and the boundaries are clear. I don't want to feel like I have to hide out when guests are around. Being onsite has helped in many ways- I don't have people sneaking in extra guests or pets, or trying to throw parties. 

Good luck! Kia

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Thanks all for the great input. So my neighborhood has rental requirements in the covenants. If you do a short term rental, you have to pay a yearly impact fee. It is to cover the access to the community wells, the gate code system, etc. I think it’s $2000 per year. So the rental of the smaller space may not generate enough income. Most of the rentals in the fall through spring are weekends. You  do get week long rentals in the summer. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

My immediate reaction was along the mentality of @Kia272 above. Considering the reality, that you will have to run this place alone, make sure your listing coincides with that reality including your nature.  Dealing with a 12-person group is not an easy task and full of pitfalls. Perhaps your target audience is best if it caters to a 'family' or a 'reunion' of one. Twelve people at large invites high maintenance at a minimum, real trouble at its worse.

Good luck.