Thinking of allowing vaping - any experience with this?

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Thinking of allowing vaping - any experience with this?

Hi everyone,

Happy Holidays! I'm thinking of allowing vaping (not smoking) in my unit. I have a "no smoking" policy on the premises but several guests have smoked on the deck and there is an issue with the butts, not a big deal but kind of irritating.  Vaping doesn't produce smoke or odor, and it might even be more healthy for smokers to switch over to vaping - although it's not yet clear how dangerous vaping is, it's almost certainly less dangerous than smoking.  I kind of feel bad for the truly addicted smokers (both of my parents were in this category), most of whom are international, and wondering about this option. Has anyone else tried this?  Susie

vaping sign.jpg

6 Replies 6
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Don’t allow it inside. It may be clinging to stuff and can be very toxic - it’s less regulated and they may buy the refills at strange sources. It they want to poison themselves ouside, I would let them.

Jenny-And-Dave0
Level 2
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

I find the smell of vaping even more invasive than cigarette smoke. It is also used by smokers in the group to cover the smell of cigarette smoke. Horrid . I dont allow smoking in my house and I am cosidering banning vaping too. I would welcome other opinions.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susie5

I think you are on shaky ground - there is a smell from vaping - and it may not be the same or as bad as cigarettes, but you will have to let people know that vaping is allowed. It also clings to materials so don't be surprised if non smokers mentioin it and are surprised if they thought they were booking a non-smoking room.

Additionally I would also say that in public areas, indoor or out, if smoking is not allowed, neither is vaping. You can't do it on planes, public  transport etc

Personally I would not stay somewhere that allowed either indoors 

Would be interesting to hear what the reaction is - I am sure vapers will like it!

Good luck

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 

@Susie5 @Robin4 @Jenny-And-Dave0@Helga0  and others you might like to look up information relating to Juul Product recall and ongoing related matters connected to Philip Morris/ Altria Tobacco litigation currently happening world wide....

Plenty of time to read all about it whilst in lockdowns.

Too many deaths, abhorrent practices and unbelievable what's happening in the world.

@Robin4, you will be interested to know similar advertisements were used to attract people to vaping as the ole Marlboro man...Take a peep online, they are up there.

Smokeless has crossed a boundary for Smokefree WHO obligations by our governors across the miles.

Thanks for helping to create an awareness of vapes in general.

Keep safe 

From across the miles in Auckland, New Zealand 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jenny-And-Dave0 @Susie5 @Helga0

Back in the days when William Caxton was perfecting his new printing aparatus, I was a smoker.

We all were....the Malboro Man road his trusty steed across the high country and if you didn't smoke there was a social gene missing in your chromosome chain!

I haven't smoked for 35 years but I do still understand what the smoker goes through...it is an addiction!

I am fortunate to have a large rear garden (around 1,600 M2) complete with 4 seperate outdoor seating areas. I welcome smokers but only in those outdoor areas. I have ashtrays there for the guests use, which they in the main respect, but I will under no circumstance tollerate smoking within the listed cottage...and I don't care what sort it is, even vaping!

Smoking is smoking, I will tolerate them but l won't enable them....and @Susie5 I suggest you do the same!

Cheers.....Rob

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Hi @Robin4@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Jenny-And-Dave0@Helga0

Thanks for your feedback. To be honest I wasn't aware that vaping emitted a smell (that's how dumb I was about it!)  I am a former smoker too  @Robin4 and my parents were seriously addicted and both died of smoking-related disease.  I do allow smoking on my deck outside (couldn't figure out how to stop it without creating a big brouhaha! and some of my favorite guests turned out to be big smokers).  But it was -2 degrees F outside this morning (yes, seriously!!) and I don't think any smokers would have survived. 

On balance, though I think I'll not allow vaping (knowingly at least!)  Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and input on this matter.  I am taking your advice!  No vaping!