Third-party Instant book reservation

Barbara211
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Third-party Instant book reservation

Hi,

A guest with a new profile (October '16) just booked my place using Instant Book saying that "I am assisting some friends coming to town because their credit card is not functioning."

His profile has a photo, and only e-mail and phone number verification.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

13 Replies 13
Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

Is the person that booked, the person that is staying? I have had several newbies and they have all been great. I do not think you are allowed to do 3rd party bookings though. 

He hasn't clarified on that but I don't think he will be staying as well. Two days ago he said he will contact me soon, but I haven't heard from him yet.

I would ask for names of the other guests. Something that ABNB should address is having all guests  have verified IDs. 

Go with your gut feeling. Why do you have IB turned on? 

I'll do that, thanks!

I'm a fairly new host and everyone suggested I should have IB on. So far all my bookings have been made through IB, without any problems.

Katie19
Level 5
Orange, CA

If he's simply making the reservation for his friends to stay, but he's not staying, then I don't think I would accept. You have no idea who the other people are.

I agree but I don't know how to deal with this. He has already booked (Instant Book) and I think I might get penalized by Airbnb if I cancel myself.

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You can cancel and not be penalized because 1. Third party bookings are not allowed and 2. You are using Instant Book, so you are allowed up to three cancellations per year on Instant Booked bookings. Before cancelling, however, call Airbnb and discuss the situation with a customer support representative. They may cancel it on their end for you. Be sure to keep all communications with your guest in the Airbnb message thread so the Airbnb support representative can see what has transpired between you and the guest. Always remain polite, professional and clear in your communications. The Instant Book has been a good option for us, as it has increased our bookings, but there are some downsides. Fortunately Airbnb allows more flexibility to allow a host to cancel with out penalty because of this.

Here's the Airbnb number to call:

Greece +30 211 1989888

United States and Canada +1-415-800-5959 or +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Many thanks for the useful information, Jim & Marcia!

I would have liked to keep this booking, as it’s made for a few days, but I’m not sure if it will be wise to do so.

I’ll call Airbnb first and see how it goes.

Hi there,

I am late replying, but I wanted to share that I had some exposure to a third party reservation as well for six days!! However, it was my gut feeling that it was not safe since I did see the actual person staying.  It is motivating the money behind it, but "safety" first.  After checking on Airbnb, it is strongly recommended to not take third-party reservations. 🙂

Hi I have the same problem - someone who booked at midnight last night (instant book) on behalf of his sister and brother in law for one night in a few night's time.  He is new, not part of the travelling group. I have asked him whether his sister etc have an air bnb profile and said Air BnB doesn't allow third party booking, but I haven't heard back from him (it's only 830 the next morning).  I can't see the advice that Air BnB won't hold the cancellation against me, and we don't seem to have a phone number in Australia to actually discuss it with someone?  What was the end result of your experience above?

Fiona

Do call, @Fiona112. The number for Australia is here in the forum: Contact Airbnb

Thanks very much Lawrene I did call them (when I googled for a number I found one htat said it should only be used in emergencies) and they were very helpful, confirmed that the third party booking was not ok, and said they would cancel it for me without penalty.  Phew.  

I thought that you can also make it so instant book only works if people have reviews and a verified ID already on airbnb too. That way at least if you do get a third party booking you can decide if they're legit? And will also preempt having todeal with scammers!